MLS as CONCACAF's developmental league

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Hax, Jul 18, 2002.

1. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
    With DC United's loan/signing of Eliseo Quintanilla, it seems that MLS is getting very successful at grabbing the top talent in Central America. Consider some recent signings: Carlos Ruiz, Fredy Garcia, Joselito Vaca, and Quintanilla. Sure the list might not be long, but these are young national team players, and MLS has only 10 teams. This is the direction to go for MLS and I am so happy that the league's brass has realized this. MLS has also snagged some good young internationals like Dwayne De Rosario and Winston Griffiths, and while these two might not be world beaters, they are some of the region's better players. Does any other league in CONCACAF have the type of youth internationals MLS has?

Add in the US players (Donovan, Beasley, Wolff, Convey, Quaranta, Twellman, etc) and MLS has more than their share of rising stars. I believe Donovan, Convey, Beasley, and Vaca were all in World Soccer's Top 100 Rising Stars issue a year back. MLS is no longer the league of aging stars, it has some young ones too!

2. ignatz

ignatz New Member

Jun 3, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Milton Reyes of Honduras and DC United is no young rookie, but he's another top flight Central American playing here.

3. bazooka

bazooka New Member

Nov 21, 2001
    Watkinsville, GA
    I think Vaca is from Bolivia.

4. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Vaca is not from Central America.

But don't forget Daniel Torres from Costa Rica (Crew).

5. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
    "Vaca is not from Central America." Whoops! I knew my failures in geography would come back to haunt me! :D

6. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And staying with the Crew, don't forget Guatemalan international midfielder Freddy Garcia, whose signing was announced earlier this week. And he even has a green card, which is an even added bonus to the club.

Garcia is only 25, incidentally.

Cheers,
    William

7. CrewSchmack

CrewSchmack Member

Columbus Crew SC
    United States
    Mar 3, 1999
    Delaware, OH
    It's not just the brass...it's those players...they know that the majority of Euro teams aren't scouting Central America....but they take vacations and do training the the US.

It's where you go to get seen so you can jump to Europe.

8. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would like to see this trend continue. It's good for the league and it's good for the concacaf region. As the league expands in the next decade I would like to see the foreigner rule change to something like the leagues in the EU do. Say something like a team can have up to 5 players from concacaf and only 1 or 2 from anywhere else. Having the goal of being the top league in our region is a good target for MLS.

Z

9. Jim Dow

Jim Dow New Member

Mar 20, 1999
    Belmont, MA
    I completely agree that MLS has improved dramatically by moving away from EuroDinos to young Central and South Americans. Much, much better idea, both from the quality of play and damage to the budget. Plus, as pointed out, it is an excellent springboard for these players.

A win/win situation.

Now if the Revs could get a couple of these guys. Oh yeah, I forgot, we had Andy Williams. Grumble, grumble.....

JIM DOW

10. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    I'm all for it, but we're going to fail to qualify one of these days.

11. kyledane

kyledane Member

Jan 28, 2000
    Near San Francisco
    I'm all for the league operating as a clearing house for talent from our region. There is a great deal of cheap talent out there that the league can use to augment the growing US talent base. But this should not be seen as something that is new for the league. MLS has been making signings like these going back all the way to 1996.

Early league signees from around the region were Carlos Rodas and Martin Machon (Guatemala), Ronald Cerritos and Jorge Rodriguez (ES), Evans Wise and Andy Williams (Jamaica), Ezra Hendrickson (St. Vincent), Juan Pablo Rodriguez (Mexico, a player who ultimately failed his physical and was sent back, but who signed with the Clash at age 18).

From South America, we also got a pretty good sized group of younger up-and-coming national team players. Unfortunately most of them didn't fare well here.

12. Soccerski

Soccerski Member

Dec 2, 2000
    Georgetown, CT
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have the same concern, but if the Concacaf spots increase from 3 to 4, that is less of a risk.

In addtion, with the restrictions on SIs & TIs on each teams roster, the fact that all the Is are not coming from the same country, and that it is the USA players who make the majority of the MLS rosters, I think MLS development of a deep pool of potenial US Nats will out pace the development of potential CONCACAF rivals.

13. wu-tang beez

wu-tang beez New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Irving, TX
    I'd like to believe MLS was a euro-cradle or garaunteed recognition from Nat coaches, but I've noticed that once a player's been here a while, he stops getting looks, ie:Cerritos, Moreno, Etchescary, Williams, Trotman(rip), & even Stern John were all first teamers that succeeded here, but got little attention from their domestic coaches upon rtn 2 camp. Stern went to nottingham & was tearing up d1 but got benched because if he scored more gols, they would've owed him more loot. That's just sorry. That new dc player has an impressive resume, but who's he going to beat out for pt? There are just to few teams in the MLS.

14. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gardner must like it also. A bunch of players who haven't been developed by (his view) stultifying English coaching.

Actually, there's some truth to this. The injection of Central and South American players into our league brings an interesting cultural melding to our North American game. Kind of matches what's happening in the general population.

I was going to write something about it being better than being a league where European players come to retire, except my guess is that some of our young players have been really helped by having some Euro veterans take them under their wings--Chicago being an example.

15. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cerritos is STILL a first-team regular for El Salvador. So is Andy Williams for Jamaica. Stern John never dropped out of the national team picture. It's just that El Salvador didn't play anything meaningful while the Hex was going on...

16. The REVerend

The REVerend New Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Newton, MA
    MLS has also helped certain players get a shot at their national team. When Craig Ziadie (sp?) was playing well for DC United last year he declined a call-up from the Jamaican NT because he hopes to play for the US one day. Similarly, when Wolde Harris was tearing up the league two years ago (unbelievable, isn't it?) he was called up to the Jamaican NT and scored for them in a qualifier IIRC.

17. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry if someone else has already brought this up, but let's point out one other major reason why we're seeing these players in MLS: they're cheap. Cheap compared with young European talent, that is.

18. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah! Thanx! Williams is da bomb!

19. kyledane

kyledane Member

Jan 28, 2000
    Near San Francisco
    A player you didn't mention is Salvadoran Marvin Quijano, who received a callup to ES's full squad despite limited playing time with the Galaxy. He declined as well.

The league still does need to gain credibility in a number of places, though. The South Americans still often look down on MLS success, ignoring the good play of Diego Serna, Moreno, Graziani and the like here. So we still have to work on them. But as with many other things, this is only a matter of time. They will recognize MLS's value when they can no longer ignore our success stories.

20. K.P.

K.P. Member

Mar 18, 2001
    Philly
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. Native Aztexan

Jan 27, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. wu-tang beez

wu-tang beez New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Irving, TX
    Let me get out my bottle of lotion now. Sic! He's hardly MLS caliber.

23. Native Aztexan

Jan 27, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Geez, I didn't know the Rapids were this desperate!

24. Preston North End

Feb 17, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Scoring a goal every 140 minutes in MLS play not MLS caliber? Yes, it's been two and a half seasons since he's played in the league (MLS is much better compared to 1999), but he is not Chris Albright.

He should never have been let go by the league, but then he would not have played well in Portugal, which means he would not have played for Liberia, scoring two in WCQ, which just missed out at a spot in the WC Finals.

Musa Shannon and Tenywa Bonseu are the types of players MLS needs. Good young African talent.

Throw more Central and South Americans and MLS is on the right track.

25. pc4th

pc4th New Member

Jun 14, 2003
    North Poll
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    bringing this post back into discussion (oldies but goodie)
    what are your take on this post?
    as for me, I am not experienced enough to discuss this.