MLS, and US Soccer is in very grave danger

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by appoo, Jul 30, 2002.

1. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    May be AEG without Anschutz will not be focusing on MLS. They might take their money elsewhere.

2. fusion101

fusion101 Member

Jan 11, 2002
    MLS is funded* till the year 2006. That most likey means there is money in the MLS bank to fund the league up to that point. I seriously doubt Phil will stop investing in the league given the potential it has. L.A. is getting a new stadium and will be breaking even next year along with the Crew. MLS will need soccer only stadiums if it wants to be around in 20 years, but with MLS tight budget that will be a challenge.

3. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    But he might be in jail before the next MLS season starts. Or he might have to rise funds to get himself out of trouble. He might have to sell his shares in AEG. When it happens, who will be in charge of AEG? Does the new ownership still think MLS is a good investment? There are too many unanswered questions.

However, MLS will not be in grace danger with or without AEG. It will be better if Anschultz stays around. I have not looked into his case. He should be okay if what I read here are right. But no one really knows.

4. garbaggio

garbaggio Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Arlington
    I can't believe that some people seem to think that there is no connection between Anschutz and the Anschutz Entertainment Group he founded!

Does anyone know whether AEG is a publicly traded company? Or is it solely owned by Anschutz?

5. SoccerMavn

SoccerMavn Member

Oct 7, 1999
    On the pitch
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. YES! I see it all so clearly now!

LOL. Great stuff.

6. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

http://www.anschutzinvestments.com/group/group.html

As you can see he is well diversified.

He basically lost what he is going to lose from Qwest. It is going to be extremely difficult to hold his feet to the fire, IMO. It is highly unlikely he is going to jail for anything.

7. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, your english ability astounds me, but this is not english class.
    Anschutz looks to be safe, Nacchio, however, does not. Nacchio is the focus of the investigation and will take the brunt of the attack. Phil was Chairman and did step down under pressure from the board due to the pending SEC investigation, but he will most likely not face any charges related to accounting liberties taken by his company. His stock trades were legal.
    Also "focuses" is a plural of focus. Foci is another plural, but generally used as the plural of "focal" (focal point). I'll be damned if I didn't hit the "v" key twice. Relax.

8. garbaggio

garbaggio Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Arlington
    dcc,

I appreciate the link to Anschutz' homepage of investments. But it doesn't tell us how much of his wealth he has invested in each of those enterprises.

It does show us that AEG is wholly owned by Anschutz so any decline in his total wealth could have a bad effect on AEG's health.

Forbes magazine's list of the World's Richest People (which I believe came out some time around the New Year) said he was worth $5.1 billion which made him the 54th richest person in the world. A year before Forbes said Anschutz was worth $15 billion making him the 16th richest person in the world.

Forbes said, "Qwest Communications, which accounts for the bulk of his wealth; also accounts for his net worth's plunge from $15 billion to $5 billion."

Since March 15, Qwest's stock has fallen further from $8.68 a share to $1.50 a share. Anschutz owned 18% of Qwest at the end of March (Bloomberg).

Even if he faces no legal penalties, I think Uncle Phil has MUCH less money to play with than he did a few months ago.