MLS and the American Soccer Fan

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by djdustmite, Sep 29, 2003.

1. djdustmite

djdustmite New Member

Aug 13, 2003
    NJ
    I've been pondering the future of the league and in doing so find myself looking back to it's foundation, about which I'll readily admit, I know very little. I understand the link to WC94 and a promise to FIFA but my knowledge grows sketchy after that.

In any case "Major League Soccer": who came up with this one and was it indeed, as it sounds, conceived as a lame attempt to lure confused or bored Baseball fans from their Pinstripes? I'm as American as they come but have always thought the attempt to "Americanize" (East and West Conferences, Overtime, the old "shoot-outs") the worlds greatest game was ill-advised.

I've always thought Soccer fans were pretty monogamous. So that's my question or perhaps the first of many:

Do any of you Metro-freaks devote anywhere near as much energy (or any at all) to any other sport?

2. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

To many other sports. Another thing: I'm as American as they come and I say Americanize the sport.

3. red&black1

red&black1 New Member

Mar 8, 2003
    Kearny NJ
    No other team in any other sport can ruin the rest of my week when losing the weekend before like the Metros can... I bleed red and black and no other colors.

4. UncleLTrain

UncleLTrain Member

May 19, 2002
    Seton Hall basketball is where its at.

5. bukie2k

bukie2k Member

Mar 28, 2002
    New Jersey
    Other than my year round intrest in soccer, I pretty much follow what ever is "in season" with the exception of basketball. I used to follow college b-ball pretty closely until the players starting bolting for the pros after their freshman year. I don't follow the NBA at all because I have a low tolerance for overpaid juvenile delinquents. Overall soccer is far and away my sport of choice.

6. cliffkram

cliffkram Member

May 4, 2003
    Brum via NYC
    Beautiful...I audibly laughed at that one...

My loyalties lie (in order):
    1- Maryland Terrapins (Red and Black anyone?)
    2- New York Yankees
    3- FC Metro
    4- Washington Redskins

Baseball, College Hoops and MLS i follow regiously. To a lesser extent I follow College Helmetball and Premiership as much as possible, but with Premier League its tough bc Fox only shows one match a week live...if we're lucky

7. In Bob We Trust

In Bob We Trust New Member

Jan 5, 2003
    cool thread...

oddly enough, i have no other team but Metro and have followed MLS religiously since its inception...yet i say oddly enough, because i follow just as closely, the NFL and the NBA...i am a huge nut when it comes to those sports, and could tell the majority of people about their "team" in those sports than they could tell me...i find baseball incredibly boring, but keep fairly up to date with the politics of the sport and same with the NHL to a lesser extent...college bball and football i've just recently begun to follow more closely after following the drafts in the sports so closely

that said, my weekly routine of my men's soccer league game sunday mornings at 10am, then all day in netcong with the guys watching NFL on direct tv was interrupted this week, i was holed up in my room by myself with my team's jersey on, riding the rollercoaster that was Metro vs DC, wouldnt have it any other way

8. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Nets have the world's coolest point guard and no juvenile delinquents. Jason Kidd can look like Zindane at times.

My sports in rough order - MLS/Soccer, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLB, NASCAR (was higher until Dale Earnhardt was killed), F1. I am a MetroStars fan but I don't live and die with them like other rooting interests, maybe they haven't been around long enough. Plus that whole NY/NJ fiasco.

Why do the Metros have to play 2 straight (league) games on Sundays? Ugh.

9. KLECKO73

KLECKO73 New Member

Jan 5, 2002
    GARDEN STATE
    1. NY Jets
    2. NY Islanders
    3. Soccer. I grew up with the Cosmos and now root hard for the Metro's but they haven't been around as long as the first two teams.
    4. The other sports are OK but football, hockey, and soccer are the only one's I'm passionate about.

10. halfnelson31

halfnelson31 New Member

Jul 23, 2002
    NOVA
    These r my favorite teams in no order
    NCAA: Gamecocks(the tennesse game was *#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#)
    MLS: Metro (black and red till the day im dead)
    Euro: ManU(Timmy!)
    MLB: Mets
    NBA: Knicks
    NHL: Devils
    NFL: Jets

P.S. Im not a poser i just like the NY teams cuz i used to live in albany and im not a bandwagoner cuz the devils' minor league team was in albany

11. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except when he's beating his wife. Then he looks like Blanco.

12. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    College sports, some New York area pro teams and soccer, both MLS and global.

13. Mr Fish

Mr Fish Member

Feb 2, 1999
    W. Orange <-> NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Metro & USMNT
    New York Football Giants
    New York Baseball Mets
    NY Rangers
    BU Hockey (BeanpAWWWT, Flip!)

14. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. vflkirwan

vflkirwan Member

Mar 28, 2000
    North Jersey
    Club:
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    US Nats
    VfL Wolfsburg
    NY Rangers
    Rutgers football

16. cliffkram

cliffkram Member

May 4, 2003
    Brum via NYC
    <<snicker>> You, my friend, are a brave, brave soul to have admitted that. Don't worry though, its admirable.

17. djdustmite

djdustmite New Member

Aug 13, 2003
    NJ
    thus far my theory of monogamy is BLOWN. You two-timing losers!

No, seriously folks. How on earth do you have time?

18. PSUdude

PSUdude New Member

Dec 15, 1998
    Elmhurst, Queens, NY
    My order:

Metro
    Penn State
    Ajax and European soccer in general
    NY Giants
    NY Mets

19. Snackbar

Snackbar New Member

Jul 8, 2003
    Alachua, FL
    My order:

EPL: Liverpool
    MLS: Metros since the Savarese days, and still watching and rooting............
    NFL: Tampa Bucs
    NCAAF: Vanderbilt Commodores (talk about self torture, but hey, I grew up in Nashville)
    NHL: Tampa Lightning
    and then world football in general, Dortmund, Ajax, Monaco
    Rugby
    Aussie Rules Football
    NBA and MLB: makes me change the channel

Football (soccer) does not need Americanization. Don't try to "fix" what has never been broken........

20. studsup

studsup New Member

Aug 12, 2001
    Garden State, born N
    Metro - subscriber
    Liverpool
    Man U - have lately been catching the games to watch Timmy and really enjoy them. Fox Sports World.

Soccer is the only pro sport I follow.

No men's league but I do stick fighting Saturday mornings, but that is a way obscure Filipino art and can hardly qualify as a sport... though it is violent enough.

21. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    Metro -- (season tix since ninety-six)
    MLS in general --
    USNT --
    ManU (got a MeteroStar in goal ) --

-- and as much of the rest of world football as I can.

No interest in any other team sports, but any sport with women in shorts or short skirts usually catches my attention. :)

... did I mention women's beach volleyball?

22. fatmaradona

fatmaradona New Member

Dec 15, 2002
    the Anschutz ranch
    in this order

1. USMNT---no other team do I live and die with like them

2. Man Utd--- Timmy! timmy? Timmy! --plus keano and the rest, great fun to watch

3. CU Buffaloes--both gridiron and hoops, although the losses are tough to stomach

4a. Colorado Avalanche---not a bad team, as they got more than a handful hall-of-famers
    4b. Colorado Rapids----tough team these days, Chung is the most underrated player in MLS

6. Denver Broncos---the donkeys have started out well, which is good--also, there is no other league in the world which is as good for betting as the NFL

7. The Nuggets--someday they will be good

ESPN has soured me on baseball, plus in 1994 Denver was denied a WC match because of the Rockies, which is a sin that I can never forgive

23. MadridForLife

MadridForLife New Member

Oct 13, 2002
    Worcester, MA
    I live with a family, my Dad and my bro mostly and me, that watches almost anything. Although I don't watch everything religiously I watch almost everything.

1. MLS/Soccer- What I watch most of the time.
    2. MLB- NY Yankees
    3. NFL- NE Patriots
    4. NHL- Boston Bruins
    5. Coll. Foot- Notre Dame
    6. Auto Racing- Combo of F1 and Nascar
    7. NBA/CBB- Boston Celtics and Villanova

Before you look that I live in Mass. and that I love the Yankees, My Grandfather grew up in Southern Conn. which is huge Yankees area. Then my Dad loved them and now me and my two brothers.

And my uncle went to Notre Dame.

24. Penn State? Time for Joe to retire don't ya think? Besides, Penn State has never been the same since they fled the east to avoid what were going to become routine shellacings from SU, BC, WVa, VT and Miami. Rutgers you have to expect Penn State were not concerned about.

I can't argue with your placement of the Metro on that list.

25. Fair is fair, here is mine:

Metro
    US National Team
    Buffalo Sabres
    Buffalo Bills
    Republic of Ireland
    Bolton Wanderers
    Colchester United
    Syracuse University Football/Basketball
    Columbia University Rugby

No NBA
    No MLB