MLS and Serie A Wages: Closer Than You Might Think, but Structured Very Differently

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by carnifex2005, Sep 29, 2015.

1. carnifex2005

carnifex2005 Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    cpwilson80, bbsbt, PTFC in KCMO and 2 others repped this.
  2. jeffclimbs

jeffclimbs Member

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 29, 2014
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Aren't they closer than you think only if you forget that MLS wages are reported as gross income and Serie A wages reported as net income?

3. holiday

holiday Member+

Oct 16, 2007
    am i reading this wrong? isn't 'wages per club' in mls $8.3mil, in serie-a $24.5mil? how is that closer than i thought?
    and looking at the quality of play, i hope and play mls wages aren't 'closer than you think.'

4. PJohnson

PJohnson Member+

DC United
    Dec 16, 2004
    South Dakota
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks to the OP for sharing. It is an interesting analysis. For me, it would be more interesting to see a similar analysis between MLS and Liga MX. My interpretation of Garber's "Top League" comments are for MLS to be a true "Destination" league. In practical reality, that means being the top league in the Americas. And to that end, the only league that really matters in terms of money and importance is Liga MX. Major League Soccer needs to become the next choice destination for top talent in the Americas. In other words....the best players not going to Europe. Right now you can make a case that Mexico is that destination.

5. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even ignoring that. MLS salaries seem to be Frosinone + DPs. That can a good thing, MLS salary growth has increased MLS basic budget to equal levels as the lowest Serie A team at 4.5M* (again ignoring net of tax)