MLS and Americanized Team Names vs. Int'l Leagues and Team names

Discussion in 'MLS: Commissioner - You be The Don' started by CaptParker, Apr 5, 2015.

1. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More people have seen DDD.
    upload_2016-4-8_14-42-48.png

2. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    I got stuck with a Chicago Fire.

3. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I miss the "It's not gonorrhea, it's the Burn!" chants...

4. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like your signature

5. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Give me one example where any organization's name is Soccer Team XXXX.

Heck, any league that has "Team" in the name of one of the clubs. Other than that crap, Team America or Team USA, that the TV networks try to push during the World Cup or Olympics.

NaBUru38 repped this.
  6. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More than half of Americans will come into contact with an STD. Less than one in a hundred will come into contact with FCD.

Unak78, The Franchise and Elninho repped this.
  7. BHTC Mike

BHTC Mike Member+

Apr 12, 2006
    Burlington, ON
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    You're right of course, but that's not just a U.S. thing. In global soccer, the only definition that captures all the organizations we would recognize as a "club" is any organization that plays football (i.e. fields teams), and holds a membership in an association affiliated with FIFA.

8. Cowtown Felipe

Cowtown Felipe Member+

Mar 12, 2012
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Another Louisiana hockey team is the Shreveport Mudbugs.

[​IMG]

CeltTexan repped this.
  10. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some great names in South Africa.

upload_2016-7-27_17-0-46.png

Unak78 repped this.
  11. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking of Africa, my favorites include Big Bullets FC in Malawi (though I was disappointed when they renamed the club from Total Big Bullets); BE FORWARD Wanderers, also in Malawi (I'm sure they were inspired by Go Ahead Eagles); Wikki Tourists FC in Nigeria (seems to me like a lot of us are wiki tourists now?); Cape-Coast Mysterious Dwarfs in Ghana; and Mighty Blackpool in Sierra Leone.

There's even a club called Metro Stars in the Ghanaian second division.

12. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, has anyone mentioned the Swedish second division's AFC United in this thread? That's the club where former LA Galaxy players Josh Wicks and Tristan Bowen play now -- Wicks is their club captain, in fact.

The club's full name is:
    Athletic Football Club United

Also, it's been renamed a couple times following mergers with other clubs; the club's original name was FC Café Opera.

Unak78 repped this.
  13. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The full name of Bangkok Bravo FC is Amon Rattanakosin Krung Thep Mahanakhoof Mahinthara Mahadilok Phop Noppharat Ratchathani Ayuthaya Burirom Udomratchaniwet Mahasathan Amon Piman Awatan Sathit Sakkathattiya Witsanukam Prasit Bravo Association Football Club.

Has anyone mentioned the Meat Commission Football Club in Botswana or FL Fart of Norway yet.

How about "Young Boys of Minnesota" as the new name for Minnesota United?

Unak78 and EvanJ repped this.
  14. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would this be Larry Craig's favorite club?

skinut and xtomx repped this.
  15. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Including spaces but not including the period at the end of the sentence, what I put in bold is 221 characters, which is 57.9 percent more than what is allowed in one tweet.

16. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Oh, a billion reps for this one!

POST OF THE DAY/WEEK/MONTH

17. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    I still don't get why MLS allowed Atlanta to take their name....

18. whiteonrice04

whiteonrice04 Member+

Sep 8, 2006
    #143 whiteonrice04, Aug 29, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
    I think all MLS teams should adopt a variant of Bournemouth's (of the Premier league) logo. Cause you know, everything England/Europe when it comes to soccer is better than what we do.
    [​IMG]
    That is the worlds worst sports logo. It is way worse than the old Columbus Crew logo. Wow!

19. 4four4

4four4 Member+

Nov 13, 2013
    Land of 10,000 Lakes
    Don't you see the cherries in their logo?

20. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    A bit off topic but I think that Sporting KC has laid a blueprint for how to successfully reverse the fortunes and perception of an original club (throw the Fire in as a non original team struggling with sthe same issues). I often wonder why more teams haven't followed their blueprint until realizing that it all starts with a new ground which teams like Chicago, Colorado, Dallas, and for some reason New England are in no position to do. DCUs stadiummisfortunes might actually help them in the long run since MLS' current stature is much higher than when, say New England did. And San Jose has been quite smart in leveraging Stanford to help raise the profile of the Cali Classico prior to LAFC arriving.

21. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #146 Paul Berry, Aug 31, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
    London 2012 Olympics: Stuart Pearce names Team GB football squad

Team GB's Olympic campaign begins on July 26 when they face Senegal at Old Trafford. They play the United Arab Emirates at Wembley on July 29 before their final group game against Uruguay at the Millennium Stadium on August 1.

Team GB chef de mission Andy Hunt said he expected the public to embrace the side despite this being their first match as a Great Britain side for 52 years.

"After a 52-year absence from the Olympic Games, it is fantastic to welcome the men's football squad to Team GB for London 2012. Representing your country at the Olympic Games is a very unique, special experience and I am sure this talented and determined group of men's footballers will play a full part as members of Team GB at our home Olympic Games.

"The squad selected possesses a good blend of youth and experience, with 16 of the 18 selected athletes playing their football at the very highest level in the Premier League last season. In Stuart Pearce they have an experienced and passionate manager and I am sure the younger players will learn a lot from their time with Team GB at the Olympic Games.

"Football fans from the across the UK are regarded worldwide as among the most passionate and knowledgeable supporters in the world and this summer offers a unique opportunity to get behind Team GB on home soil. I am confident that this famous vocal support will drive the young players on to produce many memorable and inspirational performances at the Olympic Games this summer."

22. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    OK. You've established that another country uses "Team XXX" for their Olympic team. I think I specifically eliminated that as an example.

I stand by my question. Name a team that has "Soccer Team" in its name. Or a sports league has a team that uses the word "Team" in the name of one of its members. Other than national teams that sometimes have that foisted upon them by the media.

23. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Team GB was not foisted on anyone by the media.

But the original poster was right. 1.4 million Americans catch an STD every year. I doubt there are that many soccer teams.

Anyway, I support a team in Nottingham called Notts County Football Club. We're a pretty crap team, finishing 17th in League 2 last season. My favorite name for an Italian team is Genoa Cricket and Football Club.

24. Cowtown Felipe

Cowtown Felipe Member+

Mar 12, 2012
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A big part of the SKC turnaround was the change in ownership. If FCD had moved from their old in-town football stadium to their new suburban soccer stadium and changed ownership from the Hunt Group as SKC did, maybe we would have ramped up in attendance and game atmosphere like SKC did.

25. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Similarly, there are all the various Racing Clubs in different parts of the world, most notably France and South America.

And then you have three of Brazil's most storied clubs: Clube de Regatas do Flamengo, Club de Regatas Vasco da Gama, and Botafogo de Futebol e Regatas.