MLS All Stars - Whose Stock Rose?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by SamsArmySam, Aug 4, 2002.

1. TheProfessor

TheProfessor New Member

Jan 11, 2002
    San Diego, CA
    Stock rose: Twellman, Klein, Mulrooney, Maestroeni, Bocanegra
    No change: Kreis, Chung, Suarez
    Stock fell: Kovalenko, Petke, Ralston
    Forget about it: Meola, Lalas
    Painful to watch: Burns

2. jamesf24

jamesf24 New Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Brighton, MI
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why exactly did Ralston's stock drop, while Mulrooney's rose?

For me:

Rose: Klein

Fell: Kovelenko

James

3. FootyMundo

FootyMundo New Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Minneapolis
    This I would like to see.

Beasley is small no doubt, but he is fast and quick and is a decent enough defender in terms of putting himself between the man and the ball and the ball and the goal. I'm not just refering to Klein's muscle on DaMarcus. He just flat out beat him off the dribble. And in the KC games I've watched he has almost always impressed. The guy would be a good fit with an EPL team. He's a good talent who should get a look for the Nats.

4. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, and I'm ready to get flamed for this, but I think in a sense Kovalenko's stock for the Nats team rose more than anybody else.

Frankly, as soon as Kovalenko gains citizenship, his first "cap" should undoubtedly be against Mexico. If Dema will do that to his own teammate in an exhibition game, there really isn't any such thing as a "friendly" in his mind, and therefore would be perfect for our next Mexico matchup.

5. Popero

Popero Member

Jul 5, 2002
    CT
    I sort of agree with the above.

Pfft, forget injuries. It makes me happy to see people at least show a minute amount of effort in an All-Star Game.

6. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    *Watching the game in person, I thought Suarez looked really strong in the few minutes he was out there. I know that Landon, McBride and Beasley weren't at full intensity but Suarez looked totally like he could handle that level of attacking talent.

*Like others, I thought Chris Klein had a strong game. He must love something about RFK because he always plays well there. (Just ask Fire fans who remember the 2000 Cup.) When he gets a head of steam going, he can be tough to handle. Along with West and Olsen, he has a real shot at the right mid spot in qualifying.

*Ralston's goal was nice and he combined well at times. He's a little older than Klein but his play showed another look wouldn't be wrong.

*Even though he gave up 2 goals, I thought Joe Cannon also played well. He made some very nice saves and did a nice job trying to organize a make-shift D that had never practiced together.

*And from the US side, I was really impressed with Chris Henderson. He may never get capped again but if he did, it wouldn't be a travesty. He's still got great wheels and his cross to Donovan on the first goal was SUH-WEET.

*Finally, was it any coincidence the MLS side scored 3 goals after Mike Burns went in? I think not? He seems like a nice guy but the fact that this guy made TWO of our World Cup teams is testament to just exactly how far we've come.

7. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Klein, Maissoneuve, Ralston, Chung, Kreis, Suarez, Henderson all had good games. Take that for what it's worth.

Chung and Henderson seem to be on the USMNT crap list, so not sure they will wear the uniform again.

8. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Did anyone else notice that the US attack came through the middle and left flanks in the second half? Barrett shut down the USMNT on his side. He wasn't fancy, just effective. Petke on the other hand......yikes!

9. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I should have mentioned Wade Barrett. He had an excellent game.

10. Soccernethost

Soccernethost New Member

Apr 16, 1999

Could be because Arena values every roster spot he's got in eveyr match and Henderson and Chung are a) not currently the best in their positions among pool players and b) will both be too old to be useful in 2006.

P.S. - let's not forget that this was all All-Star game. No one's stock actually rose or fell. Except with us I mean.

11. Go2NY

Go2NY New Member

Feb 19, 2000
    Croton-on-Hudson NY
    Chung,Henderson,SoccernetHost

I hold these players in very high regard when it comes to MLS - they're bona fide MLS STARS...

I watched Chung in a couple of friendlies ions ago, has lovely skill and speed - lacks 'killer' instinct.

Saw Henderson, nice player - lacks the extra gear required for International play

I've seen them all, going back to '93

Kreiss, like Chung, seems to lack that 'Ruiz' killer instinct

Mais, Ralston,Cunningham, like Henderson, don't seem to have that extra international 'gear'

My knowledge is limited, but that's my sense
    TK
    ODP Coaching Clinic attendee &
    X-YouthTravelingTeamCoach

12. Go2NY

Go2NY New Member

Feb 19, 2000
    Croton-on-Hudson NY
    Barrett,Good

I agree - Barrett shut down almost everything on his side -

just like John O'Brien did v. Manchester United 8,2

Barrett is much improved this year - I hope he gets a couple of callups

13. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    I thought Mais combined surprisingly well with Donovan and McBride, and could be a legitimate choice for games without Claudio (there are bound to be more than a few) - I'd put him pretty high on the depth chart in the center mid at this point. He's not too old yet at 29.

14. Beckhamcpt07

Beckhamcpt07 Member

Nov 16, 2001
    Amsterdam, the Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How old is Chris Klien?
    He is a pretty solid player but I always thought he was on the wrong side of 30.

15. McGinty

McGinty Member

SKC/STL
    Aug 29, 2001
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Klein is 26.

16. Elizabeth

Elizabeth New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Columbus, Ohio
    USNats? Maize is too old he'll be 34 or something by the next world cup.....and he has a bit of a confidence problem. He could have scored but he isalways looking for a pass after all that work...not gonna happen. He gave it more than he ever gives Columbus offesively. (GREG are you reading this?)

Kreis and Ralston. That's not from the exhibition....it's just that they are the young ones that deserve a hard look. Ralston leads hugely in MLS assists and had a strike contending for goal of the year.

17. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Petke is a joke, but he's always been. I hate Dema with a passion, I think he's an ok player I guess, but he's a hack to the bone which will get him no where. Kreis played ok for being in the slump he's in, I was happy he got a goal, but he's been looked at by the NATS before and they never could like him, kinda sad. Mulrooney is a good player I've seen him play live when they came here a couple times and he seems like he's large and incharge. I don't remember Maiz being on the US, but he seemed to play real well at the all star game. SUAREZ is the future for US defending, we are so glad to have this guy in Dallas, he's awesome. He's tough, hard nose, doesn't let anyone by without a fight. So Arena needs to look at him fast because Uruguay wants him (joint citizenship).

18. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    why is this even a discussion? How can someones stock rise or fall in a game where the players come to have fun and not care about the outcome? Its obvious that they were not going all out. I am a huge Twellman fan, but how could his stock rise when he touched the ball maybe 6 times and half of those were back passes? When Cobi is a constant threat, then you know nobody is playing defense.

19. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chung and Henderson are too old for 2006, but that doesn't explain 2002. I agree with your point a), however, were they given an adequate chance to prove they are 2nd best at their positions? I'm not sure. Clearly they are borderline USMNT players. I doubt their exclusion made any difference at all. However....

Chung hardly had a chance at all. He got one cap under Bruce Arena. Just one, the 1st friendly against Australia. Henderson got two caps. ;)

Chung is 32 and Henderson is 31, so yeah, they are past it for 2006.