MLS All-Star Nielsen Rating

Discussion in 'Business and Media' started by jmeissen0, Aug 11, 2002.

1. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least the folks at bigarenafootball.com aren't saying "Move San Jose"----they're doing quite well, actually. ;)

2. jotadia

jotadia New Member

Jun 21, 2001
    Miami
    Club:
    Atletico Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks Kenn. It looks like the number is headed in the right direction.

3. TitotheQuake

TitotheQuake New Member

Mar 6, 2001
    Uhhh... the Arena Bowl is in San Jose and the owners are so desperate they are slashing upper deck tix to get a sell out.

4. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't draw any grand conclusions from such a small sample. It's likely within Nielsen's margin of error. But it's better than a sharp stick in the eye.

And I wasn't talking about the Arenabowl when I said "San Jose is doing quite well". They went 13-1 and were third in the league in attendance at 13,493. I think they're doing all right.

5. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And, oh, by the way, they got 16,945 for Arenabowl, so whatever they did, it worked. And until Saturday, at least, San Jose can claim the current champions of three leagues---MLS, WUSA, and AFL. Their California League team, however, is not doing so well (25-31 in the second half), but has won six straight. :)

6. ne plus ultra

ne plus ultra Member

Jul 9, 2000
    These figures courtesy Kenn's famed "Champions of Obscure Leagues" and "Standings of the Minors" databases. Data for all seasons. It IS impressive.

7. kbaz

kbaz New Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Oakland
    neilson ratings

Here's a little tidbit for those critical of nielson ratings... Personally, the argument I mostly see about ratings is the argument that no one knows anyone with a box. I do, but unfortunately he isn't a soccer fan and all attempts at conversion have failed up to this point. He's a big golf fan, maybe that's why there's been a jump in the ratings...

But anyway, while skimming the Metro I noticed a little article that a handful of Boston TV stations have severed their ties with Neilson Media Research claiming that the data is inferior (unreliable). These stations include, among others, the cbs, nbc, abc network affiliates.

This type of info is more persuasive than complaining about Neilson just because no one you know has ever been a Neilson Family.

8. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Join now before the price goes up to $29.95 per year. :)