MLS All-Star Nielsen Rating

Discussion in 'Business and Media' started by jmeissen0, Aug 11, 2002.

1. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
  2. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    i know peledre had asked me about this, and i don't think anyone else had put it up anywhere yet

3. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure beats a .6 rating.

I would imagine that Kenn has the numbers for the past all star matches.

4. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Depressing figures. We can't compare that with WUSA, which was on PAX. If I recall correctly, this is similar to the ratings MLS regular season matches received on network television. It appears that the All-Star game is a ticket draw, but of no special importance in television viewership.

5. salange

salange Member

Sep 15, 2000
    Atlanta
    I think it says we were seven times the WUSA rating...

6. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd be very interested to see breakdowns of the quarter hours to see if the rain had any effect on the viewing audience.

7. Invisible_Man

Invisible_Man New Member

Jun 13, 2002
    I agree. I think that the rain had a lot to do with those numbers. The field was one big puddle and nobody could have played well in those conditions. The average person that was watching probably thought that the game would be canceled so they didnt stick around.

8. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, I'm still working on it. That's awful fast for zap2it to have the ratings...usually it's like a week and a half at least before they have them up.

Just off the top of my head, that doesn't sound too out of line. As soon as the rain delay hits, and you go back to a tape of last year's game, you lose a bunch of people, and not having the entire game on one station the whole time doesn't help, either.

I loved Martzke's take on the whole thing, that MLS should have moved Paulina to the postgame. Yeah, right, numbnuts. It was a sponsor-driven thing and an exposure (literally, as it turned out) opportunity for her, whose purposes would have been served by having her perform off the air?

BTW, all the ratings information I do have is at www.kenn.com. It's still a work in progress, and if you have any ratings from anywhere, anytime, you can add them to the list.

9. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Considering they had to dump out about 20 minutes into the game and play a re-run of last year's game, this isn't all that bad.

10. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I know that my Chicago Fire lovin' sweetie switched to WUSA and never switched back. The WUSA match up was a crucial match with a bunch of playoff implications.

It would also be interesting to know what the MFL ratings were. I believe the 3rd was the first week of the new season.

11. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    insert "crucial" women's soccer joke here

12. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Plus, I think she had to be back on her corner by 7.

13. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    I took a peek while our match was down. Can't believe you sat through the whole thing, though.
    I think they need to sneak in more boys, like Birgit Prinz. :)

14. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No doubt MLS/ABC was hoping for at least a 1.0+.

15. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's gonna be tough to draw any real conclusions form the ratings because of that 1 hour rain delay and moving to ESPN.

In the College Football preview edition of SI last week - they had a short thing giving the thumbs down to ABC for moving the game and leaving non-cable folks twisting in the wind.

16. jotadia

jotadia New Member

Jun 21, 2001
    Miami
    Club:
    Atletico Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the rain delay had a lot to do with low rating.

how does WWE wrestling get a 3.1? As a society are we getting dumber?

17. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One look around here should tell you the answer to that question.

I don't know what ABC was hoping for. I don't have the historical ABC All-Star Game numbers, so I don't know if 1.0 would be unlikely or not. MLS Cup gets 1.0 or thereabouts.

18. notebook

notebook Member

Jun 25, 2002
  19. ne plus ultra

ne plus ultra Member

Jul 9, 2000
    I love it. Our rain-delayed all star game this year got exactly the same rating the game got last year.

One more piece of utterly equivocal evidence so that the World Cup bounce proponents can argue we're doing better and the cynics can scoff.

20. notebook

notebook Member

Jun 25, 2002
    And I believe WWF ratings are actually down significantly from last year. As someone who probably fits into the "yuppie scum" demographic category, it amazes me how well sports/leagues like NASCAR, WWF, and Arena Football do. Let's face it, as soccer fans we don't exactly have our fingers on the pulse of America.

21. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    WWE please....

cheers - Ling Ling

22. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2001: 0.6 rating, 660,000 households
    2002: 0.7 rating, 737,000 households

23. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    I think staged wrestling is incredibly stupid, but there are a surprising number of intelligent people that like it.

24. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    WWF is pretty strange, but I don't see the criticism of NASCAR or Arena football. Auto racing is one of the most popular sports all over the world. Nascar is lower tech, but is far more competitive. In some ways, it's harder to justify following F1 these days. As for Arena football, given the number of great American football players in the USA, far more than can find jobs in the NFL, I imagine it's of a fairly high quality.

25. DC Forever

DC Forever New Member

Mar 26, 2001
    Rockville, MD
    It's true -- the U.S. Arena Football League (whatever the heck it's called) is the highest quality arena football league in the entire planet, even if those Eurosnobs over on BigArenaFootball.com still insist that it can't hold a candle to the BundesArenaFootballLiga and Serie Arena Football.