MLS All-Star Game: Dynamite or Disaster?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by Femfa, Jun 25, 2003.

1. Femfa

Femfa New Member

Jun 3, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Hey, perhaps we can stop taking pot shots at each other and just survey things objectively.

Those who think the format is terrible, the sky is falling and MLS admins (including Uncle Philly) should be shunned, boycotted, trussed, tarred and feathered for the concept aren't probably going to change their minds anytime soon.

Those who are intrigued, interested and enthusiastic will probably remain so, despite the invective and armageddon scenarios flung at them.

Those who are nuetral and don't care - well, they can still vote.

2. Femfa

Femfa New Member

Jun 3, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Wow, I'm a little surprised that the dynamite option is winning, even in the early going.

3. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Dude, you started a poll in a "News" and "Analysis" forum.

4. Pyro

Pyro Member

Apr 18, 2000
    Fulton River District
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where is the upside?

So you pack the HDC.....It's not like the Mexican's don't know we have talented soccer players. It's not like we are out to get revenge for World Cup. There is tremendous downside though. Imagine how bad MLS will look if they lose or even draw.

5. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You should offer to be a moderator in this forum so you can move these things, Andy. You always seem to catch these horrible transgressions well before the moderators get around to doing their job. :)

6. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I used to moderate US Men N&A with an iron fist. I was only slightly less reviled than my co-moderator MikeLastort.

7. michael greene

Oct 31, 2002
    Easy Call

Dynamite for Chivas fans.

Disaster for MLS fans.

Guess who MLS/AEG cares about more?

8. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    I've never watched an All-star game but I'll probably tape this one because once Chivas is losing, there's a high potential for some serious aggro on and off the field. Is Cobi Jones going to be playing?

9. Beakmon FC

Beakmon FC Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Jan 10, 2002
    The OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No Cobi!!! Didn't you know Galazxy fans are making a concerted effort to make sure our players DON'T get elected? Then all the stars from other teams get hurt by the dirty Chivas players and LA finally begins to make its run on retaining the title!

10. hakko ace

hakko ace New Member

May 9, 2001
    Rancho Los Cerritos
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    what happened to all the posters who said the allstar games weren't competitive enuf?!

this promises to be some competitive shite!

somebody no doubt will get racked up on both sides...

keep in mind that chivas will be in off-season form

11. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    So we can analyze poll results?

That and continue the same discussion going on in about 7 threads throughout these boards...

12. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I may be wrong, but I don't think Femfa is a dude.

13. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Who can tell? Girls4Mia wasn't a "girl"...

14. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    Imagine the terible things that could happen if you get out of bed tomorrow.

So what if we lose? So what if we win? Maybe we'll tie -- who knows? What matters is a good match for the day, one that matters to the players.

... so leave McBride out. He's not up for it, and thinks it's a bad idea. He has a point: on the one hand, no lark of a parody match,as in the past, all for the laughs and a good time; on the other hand, no one wants to get injured in an exhibition over bragging rights and wreck their season and paycheck -- which all who played in the Confed Cup did anyway, so...

At any rate, fear of "how will it look if.." is a poor reason not to play the match.

15. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am now more interested in this MLS ALL Star game than for all 7 previous MLS ALL Star games combined.

Andy Mead: Poll Cop.
    The vigilent never sleep.

16. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seen her previous work, I think.

17. Femfa

Femfa New Member

Jun 3, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Er, I didn't know this was a poll-free forum. The new format for the All-Star game is news - and I was tired of the pointless arguing about it - I wanted specific numbers (analysis) on it, so I started a poll.

Sometimes it seems like it's not the majority opinion, but the most hysterical that gets heard here. A poll seemed more objective.

And, yeah, I'm not a "dude" either.

18. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you hear the one about the woman who wanted analysis in the worst way? She went to Bigsoccer. :)

19. DouginSJ

DouginSJ New Member

Mar 15, 2000
    San Jose, CA USA
    I voted for all L.A. players.

20. Femfa

Femfa New Member

Jun 3, 2002
    Los Angeles
    My analyst told me
    that I was right out of my head.
    The way he described it he said,
    "You'd be better off dead
    than alive."
    I didn't listen to his jive.
    I knew all along he was all wrong,
    and I knew that he thought I was crazy,
    but you know I'm not. Oh, no.

Actually, I figure everybody here on BigSoccer is crazy, so I fit right in.

21. wu-tang beez

wu-tang beez New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Irving, TX
    Dynomite!!!

[​IMG]
    "as we say in the ghetto"

22. MichaelR

MichaelR New Member

Jun 12, 2003
    Philadelphia
    Chivas, the most available opponent

I generally deplore all star games (why not just do away with the thing?), and I really loathe this format.

There is:

a) No upside for MLS if they beat Chivas.

b) But a huge loss of respect if Chivas somehow win. Lots of potential damage to the league's credibility.

Also, the choice of format is pure opportunism: The Depot -- MLS' shrine -- will be filled with fans hostile to MLS. Great.

But I have to say I'll watch the game (as a curiosity) whereas I probably wouldn't if it were East v. West or Yank MLSers v. International MLSers.

If there must be an All-Star Game, bring in a international side with impeccable championship credentials. My preference would be to bring in the Copa Libertadores champions -- Boca Jrs. or Santos. Or at least give us the MFL champions. If the opponents win, good on them and little shame for the MLS. If the foreign side lose, the All-Stars will have defeated a meaningful opponent, not just the most available opponent.

23. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Chivas, the most available opponent

Again, loss of respect from whom? And what credibility are you speaking of that's going to be hopelessly lost by losing an exhibition game? Would that be the credibility MLS got by DC beating Vasco de Gama? Or the credibility it got by playing in Dragon Stadium? Or the credibility it got by paying guys $24,000 to live in New York? I'm just curious where the huge damage is going to come from if MLS loses this one exhibition game that no one outside of us is going to watch or care about in the first place.

24. Pyro

Pyro Member

Apr 18, 2000
    Fulton River District
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Chivas, the most available opponent

This format is just a useless exercise. I totally agree with MichaelR. Why must MLS continually go out of its way to cater to the Mexican population in SoCal?
    Especially with the HDC, the stadium that US soccer built.

This just doesn't make sense on many levels. All star games are not supposed to be competitve, they are supposed to be fun. Now we are putting our top stars in a competitive game with a team bent on revenge (according to their coach.)
    There was nothing at stake for USA vs. Cameroon and Martino left the game on crutches. It would be a shame to have someone hurt in this "exhibition". (Insert Kovalenko joke here)

25. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Chivas, the most available opponent

Maybe that's one reason why they're largely irrelevant.