MLS a major sport?

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by usagoal, Jul 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    i've never seen a game

2. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And I never will.

3. FootyMundo

FootyMundo New Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Minneapolis
    While the A-League is drawing well, I think you are probably vastly overstating their intentions or desires for the immediate future.

4. notebook

notebook Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Yeah I have really been surprised at what professional sports, loosely speaking, have really grown. I check out the TV ratings for sports on http://tv.zap2it.com/ and guess what seems to get the highest average weekly ratings over the spring and early summer? Basketball? Baseball? Hockey? No, NASCAR on Fox. Generally in the low 5s. Often after that is WWE Smackdown on UPN in the low 3s.

Arena Football is not in that league ratings wise, but it is definitely kicking MLS's ass on TV. There always seems to be game on.

5. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's taken 16 years to be an overnight success. I remember watching the first ArenaBowl back in 1987 (one of their only sponsors was some now-long-forgotten sports drink called USAWet, and a commercial with Tony Dorsett ran, I swear, 20 times during the game). Used to have it on tape somewhere. It's actually been at a pretty high level for several years, and has been fairly steady at between 9-10k a game (looked like more on TV, pathetic, move San Jose, must have been a doubleheader, all disclaimers apply). Franchises have been sold for high amounts, they've been on network television (though not as often as they will under the NBC deal) and they have NFL owners buying teams. It may seem like it's happened overnight, but it really hasn't.

It's a fun game to watch. Some folks refuse to acknowledge it as football, but it's not trying to be, not so much. It's a fun entertainment experience, competitive, and hard-hitting.

And Frank, I'm glad to see your red card got reduced to a yellow. Don't know what we'd do without your jumping to conclusions. ;)

6. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    My red got reduce to a yellow. I only got to thank guys like you that supported me thru the ordeal.
    Thanks again.

I am very impress with the A-League and also excited, do to my profissional commitments I do miss the game of the week on Friday nights.
    Are any of the games replayed? and if so what times?
    I do see big things for the A-League, its good for the game and keeps the MLS in line.

New Jersey Star-Ledger for the first time this year had the standings.
    I believe the A-League just went fly over by the WUSA league.
    I see some of the A-League owners going after the MLS, its great, its all in competion, and you guys know I much I like competiton.

7. usagoal

usagoal Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Las Vegas
  8. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    humor

9. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it's funny to read all these posts in 2013 and see MLS lumped in with Arena Football and WNBA. Amazing how far MLS has come in ten years. I think most would agree that the league can no longer be mentioned in the same breath as those others.

10. Zxcv

Zxcv Member+

Feb 22, 2012
    We'll be having this same conversation for a long time still: when is soccer going to become bigger?

Yet MLS and soccer as a whole is almost unrecognizable from 2002. In 2023 we'll probably be asking the same question, even while soccer is unrecognizable from 2013.

Then, when we join the Big 4 to make the Big 5, people will ask "when are we going to be top 3"?

Its a never ending conversation, but beneath all the talk is a very real change that is so imperceptible at times that it almost appears as if nothing is happening.

ImaPuppy repped this.
  11. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From an attendance stand point, MLS has separated itself from the other niche leagues.

From a tv ratings stand point, it has not.

Flex Buffchest repped this.
  12. Arsenalkid700

Arsenalkid700 Member

Aug 9, 2011
    New York City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Someone can tell the future.

13. Mateofelipe

Mateofelipe Member+

Mar 10, 2001
    Spokane, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Their" not going to understand "I" if I write "good." They "could" care less. If I ask after their health, I am sure they will tell me they are "good." If I tell them I wanted to know their health, not their moral condition, they will stare at me in uncomprehension. Or tell me I shouldn't think myself better "then" they are. They will be right, which is why I will say I am "well," not "good," if they ask me how I am.

14. fuzzx

fuzzx Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Brossard
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    My God I read the whole first page thinking I was in some alternate reality.

:eek:

Didn't notice the dates till late...

Crazy.

Kejsare, AndyMead, RafaLarios and 3 others repped this.
  15. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The next target is CFL, higher average attendance, 30m per year deal with canada tv plus not sure how much they get from nbcsn

16. Arsenalkid700

Arsenalkid700 Member

Aug 9, 2011
    New York City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

CFL is on NBCSN? What else do they have? I only recently found out they have F1.

17. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tour de france

18. edwardgr

edwardgr Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Holy threadsurrection batman.

Fuzzx I did the exact same thing....

19. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa

NHL, EPL, Indy, F1, Tour de France, MLS, College football (CAA, Ivy League, MWC), CFL, Horse Racing.

20. Arsenalkid700

Arsenalkid700 Member

Aug 9, 2011
    New York City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Somehow I already knew they had horse racing. This is what waking up at 8 in the morning, desperate for something to watch, gets me.

ImaPuppy repped this.
  21. edwardgr

edwardgr Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And the Olympics whenever they roll around

ImaPuppy repped this.
  22. Arsenalkid700

Arsenalkid700 Member

Aug 9, 2011
    New York City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I hear every they roll around every 3 years... so 2015!

23. Zxcv

Zxcv Member+

Feb 22, 2012

I think we all agree but we need to temper that with other facts. Strictly speaking, you're right that Major League Soccer hasn't joined the big time in terms of ratings, and since this conversation is about MLS you're basically correct in your assessment. But I think it would be naive not to look at the ratings and broadcast revenue of soccer events as a collective.

Ice hockey in North America gets its media rights based on NHL, almost exclusively. I stand to be corrected, but I don't think KHL, other Euro leagues or even the World Championships generate much money in NA from TV rights - after that, what else is there in ice hockey? All their TV revenue appears, at least to my naked eye, to stem from the NHL. I've heard the figure of $200m annually all up or something. Could be higher though, I haven't checked.

Compare that to soccer where its split down MLS, EPL, World Cup, European Championships, Champions League, LigaMX, international and club exhibitions/friendlies. All these facets of the game generate decent money from broadcasters. Pooled together, I'd be amazed if its not in the $200-250m range annually; $250m is much higher that what was made a decade ago. My loose figures are based on $83m for EPL, and $125m for World Cup rights (broken up annually over 8 years).

EPL and WC alone may be nudging ice hockey in North America (dont shoot me if its wrong, I am speculating here). And one of those involves a competition with a grand total of 128 games condensed into 2 months over an 8 year span!

Of course they are the two biggest players, but I just don't think you can talk about soccer rights in North America by just concentrating on MLS. Its the sport with the most fragmented market of any sport, which is a massive challenge to overcome. However knowing that the situation exists, you have to pool together its entire resources for a fair reflection of where things stand. A LigaMX game can absolutely annihilate an NHL game; why should it not count as a reflection of broader change in American sports over the last two decades? Of course you could also make a case for WNBA coming under the basketball (NBA) umbrella, which is fine too. But Arena Football and Lacrosse, as other niche sports, can't really touch soccer.

Swami and Shopping Cart Man repped this.
  24. blacksun

blacksun Member+

Mar 30, 2006
    Seoul, Korea
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The NHL-NBC deal is worth $200 million a year for exclusive NHL rights in the US. The NHL's Canadian deals are reportedly worth $150 million a year.

Zxcv repped this.
  25. Zxcv

Zxcv Member+

Feb 22, 2012

Cool, thanks for that. So still some distance off that level. Nevertheless the gap has closed. If we use just America as a benchmark, soccer as a whole makes more TV revenue than hockey. Was that the case 10 years ago? (Genuinely asking, unsure)