MLS 2024 Flavors of the Week

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by OWN(yewu)ED, Feb 7, 2024.

1. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    I seem to be a minority view around here in this but I think a good 8 is more important and more difficult to find than a good 10. I think 8s are the most influential players on the field.

Zinkoff and superdave repped this.
  2. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    In 2024 soccer, you are 100% correct.

The days of what we used to call a #10 twenty years ago are long, long gone.
    Everybody is some variation of a #8 as we defined back then. Very few central midfielders aren't expected to be two-way midfielders. The epitome of a modern central midfielder is Luca Modric in his prime.

Bassett has elevated his game to more of an 8 now, which makes him more valuable.
    And potentially more valuable to both the U23s and USMNT based on how they've been playing.

But we also have Tessmann, Busio, Morris, McGlynn, and a bunch of other central midfielders vying for that Olympic team. Only 15 U23s make it. Right now its difficult to fit Bassett in. Or Cremaschi. Another kid who will hopefully develop into a high quality 8.

[The bummer in the 8 pool is Paxton Pomykal. Just can't stay healthy enough to be counted on.]

theboogeyman and Boysinblue repped this.
  3. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Neither Mihailovic nor Zendejas are very relevant to nat'l team discussions at this point. They've had their shots. Mihailovic also washed out of the Netherlands, in a good situation, in prime age. Neither of these chaps have any business getting caps over Paredes, let alone Aaronson, for a-mid depth.

I thought Bassett would be a hit there. But he was a loan-buy option guy & is a few yrs younger so he could still be improving. Never got nat'l team shots. Worth kicking the tire in lesser comps & friendlies. But it appears he didn't earn a spot in the Olympics to help him there. He's probably not a bad fit for Berhalter's system, but he needs a teammate to carry the ball for him so he can make off ball runs into the box. He's a lesser version of Wes.

JUnionFan repped this.
  4. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had high hopes for Pomykal but I’ve finally given up on him at this point.

OWN(yewu)ED and don Lamb repped this.
  5. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, me too. Even for club. I hope he makes it back but I won't count on it anymore.

OWN(yewu)ED, Boysinblue and gomichigan24 repped this.
  6. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

TrueCrew and tomásbernal repped this.
  7. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah , that really sucks. Had big hopes. Felt Tessmann and Pomykal would have totally different trajectories. And here we got Tessmann getting strong interest from Inter Milan

theboogeyman and gomichigan24 repped this.
  8. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bassett is the guy I’d want to bring in to replace Tessmann at Venezia if he does end up moving

9. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    I'm not a fan of "had their shots." People wrote of Jedi after the Brazil match. People were down on Scalley. People were down on Haji after the WC. Wes went through a spell where people said he wasn't good enough. Player's games evolve over time. Zendejas and Miha are still guys that can grow into being useful. JMO.

10. SoccerFanInIA

SoccerFanInIA Member

Sporting KC
    United States
    Oct 28, 2021
    Yeah thought the first paragraph was harsh as well, and if they’re not relevant to the discussion I would advise looking at the Winger depth chart lately

RalleeMonkey repped this.
  11. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a big fan, because insanity is doing the same things over & over, and expecting different results. Also, there are a finite amount of caps. It's a zero-sum game.

We'd have been better off if the likes of Chandler & Roldan were moved on from far earlier.

I never virtually wrote off any of them as being deserving of more shots. Only a fringe group, if anyone, did.

12. SoccerFanInIA

SoccerFanInIA Member

Sporting KC
    United States
    Oct 28, 2021
    Chandler and Roldan are not equal sums to the 2 being talked about at hand. Mihailovic and Zendejas have improved since their first caps, you pointed out the “failing in Europe” for Mihailovic and that’s fine, but obviously his production is still there and definitely is improved which calls for constant reevaluations. If a coach and his team aren’t constantly reevaluating players who could help the squad then they’re doing a disservice, not being insane.

Zinkoff repped this.
  13. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FTR, I'm open to another opportunity for Zendejas, between now & the WC, in a couple friendlies. If he fails, that's the end of it for me. He's had a couple failed groups of chances. My evaluation is over a 3-game sample, if there's a definitive answer one way or another.

In the case of Mihailovic, I'm practically done. He'd have to go back to Europe & thrive in a similar 2nd tier league, or be a decent player in a top tier one. Don't know how that's going to happen.

Ream's probably the best example of a guy who came back from the wilderness. But he showed more in his prior opportunities & what got him to be trusted was shockingly being good enough for the EPL finally in his mid 30's, then it translating to the USMNT. That's such an outlier case.

14. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Goal creators, no matter the position, are the most influential players.

15. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With Zendejas I’m not against him getting another chance but he’s got to at least show something when he does. He’s done well with his club but it hasn’t seemed to translate internationally yet.

16. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Expecting that players will not grow and improve their game is another definition of insanity.

Zinkoff, jaykoz3, SoccerFanInIA and 2 others repped this.
  17. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    Djordje was pretty solid in his first season for AZ. He decided to come home because of personal reasons.

Neither have the talent where they are must calls, they have to be performing exceptionally well.

SoccerFanInIA and gomichigan24 repped this.
  18. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Mihailovic's numbers dropped after the ankle injury. He was never quite the same.

theboogeyman repped this.
  19. Ghost

Ghost BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 5, 2001
    Luna:2 assists.ls that 9?

20. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That’s a great ball.

As an aside, searching Luna on X returns a lot of NSFW posts. Slap a Diego in front.

Zinkoff, superdave, Ghost and 5 others repped this.
  21. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a f*cking pass! That's my dude!

RalleeMonkey repped this.
  22. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    SofaScore US-eligible Team of the Midweek
    * = U23

--------------------------------Farrington(7.9)2nd*-------------
    --------Lletget(7.9)2nd---Mihailovic(10)MOTM----Gressel(7.8)2nd------
    --------------------Delgado(7.7)4th----Morris(7.5)2nd*----
    ---Wiley(7.3)3rd*-----------------------------------------------DNealis(7.4)5th----
    -------------------Beason(7.2)2nd------- Zawadzki(7.4)4th----
    --------------------------------Beavers(8.1)MOTM* ---------

Player of the Week: Mihailovic Beavers Lletget Farrington
    U23 Player of the Week: Beavers Farrington Luna Schulte A.Morris

Winoman and RalleeMonkey repped this.
  23. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Honorable Mention:
    GK:
    Guzan(7.8)MOTM McCarthy(7.8)2nd Steffen(7.5)2nd Callender(7.4)3rd Willis(7.1)4th Freese(7.0)2nd Stajduhar(7.0)5th Melia(7.0)5th
    CB: SNealis(7.2)7th Markanich(7.1)2nd Hines-Ike(7.0)3rd RB: Lennon(7.2)4th
    CM: Dotson(7.5)3rd Tillman(7.3)3rd Bronico(7.3)3rd Trapp(7.3)4th Durkin(7.2)1st McCarty(7.0)7th Amaya(7.0)9th
    RM: Boyd(7.4)3rd Ferreira((7.3)3rd

U23:
    GK:
    Schulte(7.5)2nd*
    LB: Tolkin(7.0)9th* CB: Neal(7.0)7th* RB: Anderson(7.4)5th* Arfsten(7.2)4th*
    LM: Hall(7.4)5th* Afrifa(7.1)4th*
    CM: Edelman(7.5)4th* Duke(7.3)3rd* Larraz(7.2)7th* Tsakiris(7.0)4th*
    RM: Clark(7.2)5th* AM: Luna(7.5)3rd*

Winoman and RalleeMonkey repped this.
  24. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Logan Farrington: could be another Duncan McGuire, a collegian who takes the league by storm.
    Caden Clark resurfaces!
    19 y/o Beavers(6'4" 183lbs) is the highest rated keeper(5 or more starts) on the opta charts. He is also in a great no-pressure situation platooning with the veteran, MacMath.
    Mihailovic: The first Perfect 10 of the season for an American. 8 goals and 6 assists in the past 13 matches. He is rounding back into the MVP form he'd had before the injury.
    Colorado's All American central midfield of Mihailovic, Bassett, and Larraz got the blowout win.
    17 y/o DC CB Akinmboni has gotten two starts(7.0,6.9) in a row.

OWN(yewu)ED and RalleeMonkey repped this.
  25. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Logan Farrington looks to have something.
    The only problem is the #9 starter that FCD purchased for a gazillion dollars as a DP is starting to figure out the league. He had a hat-trick last night.

Also. Minnesota was really poor.

TxEx repped this.