MLS 2024 Flavors of the Week

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by OWN(yewu)ED, Feb 7, 2024.

1. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sealy was solid but Farrington was as good in this game as the preseason game against DC. He has an odd assortment of skills with flips being a big part. He also has one of those instant hard shots from anywhere with either foot. Had a few shots from far out that looked dumb until I realized how hard they were and forced the keeper to make great saves. I expect a few 3-4-1-2 lineups when Musa gets here to use this kid.

2. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    On the other hand, I thought San Jose looked really rather poor.
    If Dallas is going to be without its 3 DPs (Ferreira, Velasco, Musa), Pomykal, Farfan, etc........you should win that game.

And also................where on Earth were the young USYNTers for San Jose? I thought that was the whole point of hiring Luchi Gonzalez? Not even in the 18. People noted the CCL game in which Porter brought Esmir and Buck off the bench (and then started them in MLS play). Where are the San Jose HGs? Cowell is gone, but they have a bunch more on the roster. I should say Cade Cowell, because one of the HGs on their roster is his brother Chance. I guess Tsakiris might have been out. What about Cruz Medina??

Its kind of a really uninspiring San Jose lineup.

SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES: Daniel; Paul Marie (Vítor Costa 66’), Tanner Beason, Rodrigues, Carlos Akapo; Carlos Gruezo (Michael Baldisimo 90+6’), Jackson Yueill (C), Jack Skahan (Alfredo Morales 73’); Benji Kikanović (Amahl Pellegrino 74’), Jeremy Ebobisse (Preston Judd 66’), Cristian Espinoza.

Substitutes not used: William Yarbrough (GK), Daniel Munie, Tommy Thompson, Ousseni Bouda.

3. Yowza

Yowza Member+

DC United
    United States
    Oct 23, 2019
    Arlington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After watching NE v DC, it was very noticeable how much more comfortable and effective Esmir was working on the right versus the left. Yes, one side had Aaron Herrera defending and the other an ancient Pedro Santos, but Esmir looked like he didn’t know what to do on the left. He certainly knew what to do on the right.
    Buck had some nice passes but wasn’t a factor, and his defending wasn’t full of vim and vigor like I would’ve expected.
    No break out players in this match for me.

4. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is now Benjis time to lock down a starting spot and impress. Would be cool to see him do good enough for a camp cupcake can

5. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Tsakiris is hurt.

Clint Eastwood repped this.
  6. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

theboogeyman repped this.
  7. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Sofascore US-eligible Team of the Week 1
    * = Olympic eligible
    ------------------------------------JMorris(7.0)4th------------
    --------Gutierrez(8.2)2nd*---Williamson(8.0)2nd---Esmir(7.7)2nd*-----
    ----------------AMorris(7.5)1st*-----I.Sanchez/Parks(7.5)2nd-----
    ----Sealy(7.8)3rd*-----------------------------------------------Harriel(7.4)4th*----
    ---------------------Tafari(8.1)2nd-------Keller(8.0)1st--------------
    -----------------------------Callender(9.0)MOTM---------

Player of the Week: Callender Stuver Gutierrez
    Olympic Eligible: Gutierrez Sealy Esmir

RalleeMonkey and gomichigan24 repped this.
  8. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Sofascore US-eligible Played in college Team of the Week 1
    * = Olympic eligible
    ------------------------------------JMorris(7.0)4th------------
    ---------------------------------*---Williamson(Maryland)--------
    ----------------AMorris(Indiana)----------
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ---------------------Tafari(UConn/Seattle)-------Keller(St. Lous)-------------
    -----------------------------Callender(Cal)---------

Player of the Week: Callender (Cal) Stuver (Cleveland State)

9. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Honorable Mention:

GK: Stuver(8.7)MOTM Freese(7.8)1st Willis(7.8)1st Johnson(7.6)1st Guzan(7.4)2nd McCarrthy(7.4)4th Bono(7.4)5th Brady(7.3)5th*
    CB: Glad(7.7)2nd Robinson(7.6)2nd Glad(7.4)1st Zawadzki(7.4)2nd Maher(7.3)4th
    RB: Harriel(7.4)4th* Moore(7.4)3rd
    CM: AMorris(7.5)1st* I.Sanchez(7.5)2nd Parks(7.5)2nd Edelman(7.5)3rd* Amaya(7.5)3rd McGlynn(7.4)4th* Tillman(7.3)4th Delgado(7.3)5th
    RM: JStround(7.6)2nd Kamungo(7.5)4th*
    AM: O.Wolff(7.5)2nd* Ku-DiPietro(7.4)5th*

10. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    It's great to see Eryk Williamson with the chance to run an offence. He has always had a few elite skills, but his workrate and defense were always lacking. This game, he was 6/9 in duels and was fouled 3 times.

Zak Steffen, Sam Vines, Mihailovic. Damn. Europe is supposed to make you better. :D

Some Olympic-eligible CBs got starts. Unfortunately, only one, George Campbell, was US-eligible.

Still waiting for Wiley to put it together.

Only one Olympic-and-US-eligible CB got a start, but a good number of 23/24-year-olds got the nod. So, the next Walker Zimmerman--or even better--should be in there.

12. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Really seems to be one to watch this season.

gomichigan24 and RalleeMonkey repped this.
  13. tefftlon

tefftlon Member

Real Madrid
    United States
    Jan 11, 2023
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #88 tefftlon, Feb 29, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2024
    I am not sure I have ever seen his name mentioned before (for USYNT), but Dado Valenzuela with FC Cincy is starting off the season strong.

He played 7 first team minutes last season, is at 132 minutes 3 games into this season (currently 120 of those in CCC). Had a good game last night getting a nice goal and assist while picking up the MotM Award. Overall playing really well in this small sample. Only 19 so maybe he can get around the Olympic roster discussion.

RalleeMonkey, theboogeyman and gogorath repped this.
  14. tefftlon

tefftlon Member

Real Madrid
    United States
    Jan 11, 2023
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Cincy also used highly regarded USYNTer Jimenez last night.
    It's amazing how few U20s have already played minutes in MLS/CCC this year. He's so young that he was in US U16 camps last year.

gogorath, gomichigan24 and tefftlon repped this.
  16. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don’t look too excited to come on!

onefineesq repped this.
  17. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's 2+ months of Apple TV Plus for free:

https://redeem.services.apple/leo-kfm-amr-2024

You can't get all the games like MLS Season Pass, but I think you get a 1/3 or more. It's a big upgrade from just Fox. I was going to be pretty in the dark otherwise.

IndividualEleven repped this.
  18. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #93 Clint Eastwood, Mar 2, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2024
    Gressel has started this Inter Miami-Orlando match with two assists to Suarez....................

For a team needing a token American, he was a nice pick-up.

Oh man, there's 3-0. Miami tearing Orlando apart in the 1st half.

Orlando, by the way, finished 2nd in the SS standings last year. Quietly.

19. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Miami was always going to roll through the 1st half of the season.

20. melatoninlol

melatoninlol Member

Seattle Sounders
    United States
    Oct 27, 2019
    Near Boston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RSL V LAFC is sadly underwatched since it got delayed and is up against the Miami match. Wind storm, lightning delay, and then heavy snow in a 3 hour span. It's awesome. Luna has an assist so far too

Chesco United and RalleeMonkey repped this.
  21. Ghost

Ghost BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 5, 2001
    Luna had an assist and two hockey assists, it looked like.

RalleeMonkey repped this.
  22. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am 99 percent sure Bruce Arena is our shadow coach behind the scenes. Roster is loaded with "old reliable MLS guys". Completely uninspiring

RalleeMonkey repped this.
  23. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Except that NE Arena played young Americans.

24. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Anderson11 and Winoman repped this.
  25. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    And we can write a long list of USMNT and American players he championed in DC. Bobby Convey even lived in his basement for a while.

[Not to mention the future USMNTers that played for him at UVA.]

In his last stint with Los Angeles, he really seemed to be in the mode of "I've only got a few years left. I don't have time to develop the kids. I want trophies now." Younger fans only know him for that, I suspect.

I suspect that if we made a list of USMNTers that Bruce Arena directly influenced in club soccer, it would a longer list that anybody's.

I look at the league right now, and I'm a little discouraged. Oscar Pareja. Supposedly a youth development "professor." Always talked about championing the young and homegrown players in Colorado and Dallas. What was that lineup he used against Miami yesterday? How many US eligible players were in the XI? And then he took out McGuire at halftime for their new Colombian forward.

Maybe it was a "The kids would get crushed by this Miami team. I'm going to go with vets" kind of a lineup. And then the vets got demolished.

That was a shocking display by Orlando.

[Also on the list of shocking display's. Dallas' loss to Montreal last night. Not much you can say about that. Although Sealy and Farrington started again. So two young Americans they're giving a run to.]