MLS 2020 Attendance Thread

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by POdinCowtown, Feb 6, 2020.

1. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Houston is "averaging" 22,039.

Is it an average when there is only one data point?

2. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I tend to forget about those early season games!

3. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Come to think of it, the Dynamo were not even the designated home team for any of their games in Orlando. There were five teams like that as far as I can tell: Houston, Minnesota, New England, Orlando, and San Jose.

4. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Austin: State capital, gentrification capital, and segregation capital of Texas!

Source: Entire family comes from Austin and still lives there, spent five years at UT, 78704 for lyfe.

Call me when out-of-state dinguses stop trying to turn the place into a live reenactment of Portlandia.

stanger repped this.
  5. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    222 in Dallas for the covid cup finale.

6. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    The Crew aren't seating anyone for their home game tomorrow vs Chicago. They've refunded all remaining tickets and parking passes and said any future games with fans allowed will be sold then.

7. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So. Which teams are allowing fans?

8. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SKC, Dallas and RSL.

9. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And Orlando now

10. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Frankly, I’m not understanding why people are getting exercised about a couple thousand people bouncing around an outdoor stadium with a capacity of 20,000.

From what I’ve seen from Toyota Stadium, there’s more social distancing going on than at my local supermarket — and folks at my local supermarket are doing pretty well. There’s also no recirculating air.

11. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you mean exorcised?

skinut and AlbertCamus repped this.
  12. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Ohio governor announced sports capacity limits for outdoor events at 15% of capacity or 1500 people, whichever is less. That applies to high schools, colleges, MLS, NFL, MLB, etc. For indoor events the limit is 15% or 300, again whichever is less.

It's not clear if local health authorities can countermand that or not. So the Crew can host 1500 fans per match after tonight's empty house game. Unless the Franklin county health commissioner intervenes.

13. carnifex2005

carnifex2005 Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Montreal will have up to 250 fans for the Aug. 25th match with Vancouver. 250 is the max amount allowed in Quebec right now.

14. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I'm not disagreeing with you, but I think bathrooms and exit and entry points are a concern. I heard a podcast from an engineer consulting on what percentage of people will be allowed in EPL stadiums. It had more to do with the concourses and bathrooms (the woman joked she knew more about numbers and positions or urinals in English stadiums than anyone else in the country) than seats in some respects. I generally like older stadiums over newer ones, but I can see how older ones will be more problematic.

I have more hope for the Rapids stadium - Dicks; than U of Colorado's stadium, Folsom Field. Dicks has one broad open outdoor concourse and bathrooms that are entered from that concourse. Folsom Field is a myriad of tight concourses and small indoor entered bathrooms which are also used by classrooms that are in the stadium. I love Folsom Field but I think it's old structures are problematic.

TheJoeGreene and JasonMa repped this.
  15. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    So what was the attendance in Orlando?

16. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Interestingly Australia hosted a boxing card with over 16k attending, no social distancing or masks. While a City of theirs is in full lockdown...

17. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That’s like a boxing match in Boston when Miami (and only Miami) is in lockdown.

TheJoeGreene and sitruc repped this.
  18. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Not sure if you're agreeing that it's at best an awkward thing to do, or saying that would be totally fine...

19. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm saying, based on what I know of the situation in Australia (where one city has a spike and they've locked it down but the rest of the country is in good shape), that its fine.

20. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you have a testing and tracing program in place with less than 24 hour turn around you can have nice things.

SetPeace, TheJoeGreene, chrayatl and 2 others repped this.
  21. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    3212 in Dallas for Minnesota.

22. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Soccer has a toilet problem. In most US sports people hit the head at various points throughout the game.

But in soccer there's a huge rush at 45 and 90 minutes. This is a major problem at non-soccer specific stadiums.

AlbertCamus repped this.
  23. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Sorry, but Lubbock is the segregation capital of Texas. North = Hispanic, East = African-American, South/Southwest = Caucasian. Campus = weird spot in the middle with surrounding student housing.

Source: When I bought my house two years ago my boss (Mexican) and my real estate agent (Caucasian) both suggested the same neighborhoods for me and when I drove around town I realized it's eerie crossing certain main dividing roads and seeing the immediate difference. I can guess the general area of someone's house if they ask to visit as long as I can see them first.

Also, 4A and below football has been going on at the high schools here and despite limited fans we're seeing outbreaks because they all sit together and keep taking their masks off.

AlbertCamus, sitruc and SetPeace repped this.
  24. whereiend

whereiend Member

Dec 26, 2014
    Going by actual statistics, Austin is not particularly segregated:

http://www.censusscope.org/us/rank_dissimilarity_white_black.html

The most segregated is Beaumont, and Houston is #2. Texas in general is fairly integrated, though.

25. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It depends whether you're looking at racial segregation or ethnic segregation.