MLS 2017 Week 29 Continuous PBP Thread [Multiple R]

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by ArsenalMetro, Sep 19, 2017.

1. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Eh....she isn't all that different than male soccer dads who don't know the game all that well.

The woman's game here is so isolated/self lauded and locally contained it realy lags behind mentally.

This will become a bigger problem for the US program as more and more Euro teams become more physical and put a bit more time and money into their programs. I watched quite a bit of the Woman's Euros this year and I saw nothing but trouble for our program.

Soccerglue repped this.
  2. DanGerman

DanGerman Member+

Aug 28, 2014
    New York City
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does he last after this season? Orlando is very ambitious (See Dywer mega trade and signing a DP in the summer window), I can see them firing Kreis and getting a "name" european/SA coach. I hope he gets another year but I wouldn't be surprised to see him fired again.

3. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Discussed more in the coach thread, but he's one of five coaches with a very strong chance of not returning next season: Schmidt won't be renewed, Olsen and Curtin are overdue, and Kreis and Heath have been unimpressive. This would be in addition to a league record of five fired during the season.

DanGerman repped this.
  4. Len

Len Member+

Club: Dallas Tornado
    Jan 18, 1999
    Everywhere and Nowhere.....I'm the wind, baby.
    I think Heath gets at least another year.

Not sure what the future holds for him. His results have been disappointing since he left RSL.

5. DanGerman

DanGerman Member+

Aug 28, 2014
    New York City
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think both Heath and Kreis are gone after the season but I can see Heath stay more than Kreis though.

6. Len

Len Member+

Jan 18, 1999
    #631 Len, Sep 25, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
    I wouldn't be completely surprised if Heath is gone; I just think they'll give him one more year (or, more likely, part of next year; if it's not going in the right direction, he'll be gone before it's over)

I'm one of those who really liked Kreis (still do), I'm just disappointed he's not been more successful. I don't believe he got much of a chance with NYCFC, but I don't think he was ever their "guy" to begin with. But with Orlando.....he should be doing better. Perhaps he and RSL was just a 'one hit wonder' moment, and that's it. I hope not. I still think he's a better coach than that. Orlando fans will probably disagree with me, but I'd like to see him get one more year.

EDIT: otoh I hear the Rapids are taking applications.

The Franchise repped this.
  7. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I wonder what an appropriate time is for a coach to be at a team before he is looked at as a success/failure in which he would be fired.

I know in college football, the time frame seems to be 3-4 years, but Dabo Sweeney had a 5 year plan and it took 5 years. A few years later it led to a national championship. In the NBA, it seems to be 2-3. In euro soccer, it feels like it might be weeks.

I don't know what it is in MLS. The timeframe seems way to dependent on short term success.

8. Len

Len Member+

Jan 18, 1999
    Absolutely agree. It just seems it would take 3-5 years for a coach to assemble the team he wants - and then be judged.

Yes, Atlanta seems to have done it in one season, but the coach did not have to get rid of anybody; he was involved in the selection of his entire roster (or a good portion of it) himself. Coaches taking over established teams generally take longer because they inherit players/salaries/fan favorites/etc that they have to work around, thus slowing their rebuild.

DanGerman repped this.
  9. DanGerman

DanGerman Member+

Aug 28, 2014
    New York City
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #634 DanGerman, Sep 25, 2017
    Have to disagree there, I think Kreis was their "guy" the sent him to Manchester a year before the inaugural season to learn the possession style that they wanted to him implement. Kreis not only didn't but he was tactically all over the place and he was replaced by Vieira who would run the team in the style they wanted, also it didn't help that he constantly threw players under the bus expect his "guys"(Grabavoy, Wingert being the two most useless players to NEVER receive criticism) and all that lead to him being fired. I was against his firing at first due to my hope he could turn things around but I'm not complaining about the result of his replacement. :)

10. Len

Len Member+

Jan 18, 1999
    #635 Len, Sep 25, 2017
    True. They did spend a lot of time with him before the first season; I just never got the feeling he was the one calling all the shots (and admittedly, that's based on nothing more than sitting at home 1000 miles away watching games on TV, wondering about what he was thinking). Now, it could have been that he was calling all the shots and just did a poor job of it. And there's no doubt they are a better team - certainly play a more enjoyable (to me) style of soccer - since Vieira took over. But I wonder how much of that falls on the players, generally, respecting Vieira more than they did Kreis.

I'm starting to get out of my area of knowledge of the situation....

11. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    100% agree.

12. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Almost worth it just for the heads exploding on the other side of the Rockies :D

13. Todorojo

Todorojo Member

Oct 27, 2008
    South Weber, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    During the Cassar Era, yea, we would have lost our minds if Kries went to Colorado and did well. With Petke now, I think most RSL fans are happy with our current situation. There seems to be some similarities to Kries but also some differences.

Kries needs to learn to evolve. He only has 1 style of play in his mind tactically. If he could evolve or try new things at times I think it could go a long way. Also, he doesn't seem to manage well in markets where "The Team is the Star" doesn't work.

14. DanGerman

DanGerman Member+

Aug 28, 2014
    New York City
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seems to me that his man management is poor, he doesn't get players to commit to him and his tactics for some reason and I think its beginning to show up with the play at Orlando. I'm personally shocked how poor that team is playing with the talent they have. He may get fired at the end of the season for not getting the most out of that team.

Elninho repped this.
  15. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Coming to an MLS stadium near you, J-League goalkeeping