MLS 2017 Attendance Thread

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Andy_B, Mar 4, 2017.

1. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

[​IMG]

2. Golazo

Golazo Member+

Apr 15, 1999
    Decatur, GA USA
    The Concession Woes will be the name of my next alt-jazz trio.

(And I can confirm that "They Were Pretty Bad at the Opener" will be the name of our debut album.)

jayd8888, JasonMa, Robbiegoal and 2 others repped this.
  3. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    *grabs some chicken and waffles*
    All right. Let's wallow in some blues, shall we?

4. matbluvenger

matbluvenger Member+

Reno 1868
    United States
    Aug 2, 2010
    Reno, NV
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait, what was up with concessions?

5. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Put simply, the volume of people both there for the game and trying to get food and drinks during a very narrow window (before game and during half time) overwhelmed the concession areas which scrape by during packed GT games. There were rumors of telecom issues interrupting the checkout lines, as well, so it took people (according to various tweets and posts) 60+ minutes to get food depending on where you went. I gave up 15 minutes before kickoff and just waited till I left the stadium.

The team said they're working with GT to fix this for the next game, so I expect to see at least some improvement.

The big issue is the east stand along Techwood drive, where the stadium has been renovated but it's a REALLY tight fit. They need to move the athletic admin offices out of the Edge bldg., tear that thing down and use the corner to add concession space, etc.

I'm not that concerned because a) it's only for 7 more games, and b) I usually eat and drink before and after the games.

6. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aren't the curtains moveable and didn't Arthur Blank say he would open as many seats as he needed to?

7. Golazo

Golazo Member+

Apr 15, 1999
    Decatur, GA USA
    That's at the-yet-to-be completed MBA Stadium. These issues were at temporary home, Bobby Dodd on the campus of Georgia Tech.

DynamoEAR repped this.
  8. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I quoted the wrong post.

9. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Yes, the curtains at Mercedes Benz Stadium will be retractable in sections and we expect they'll have at least one game with an attempt to sell out. 71k might be a tall order, though, pending on how well they're doing at the time I suspect.

10. deedsy

deedsy Member

Mar 1, 2013
    could ATL do like seattle and partially open the upper section? Like only open 10 rows in the upper deck rather than all rows?

11. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    That I doubt, because the screens are hung from the ceiling and not simply tarps placed over the seats. What they might be able to do is open up a whole section of the upper deck, like say one side.
    [​IMG]

12. GoingGoaling

GoingGoaling Member

Jul 12, 2010
    Atlanta
    They are going to have to do something to increase capacity in the new stadium. They are on the hook for around 60k free tickets for season ticket holders this year. There are probably going to be people sitting in the upper deck for most of the games in Mercedes Benz Stadium.

13. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does Atlanta give out 2 free game tickets to each season ticket holder? Sounds like it is from what you are saying.

14. GoingGoaling

GoingGoaling Member

Jul 12, 2010
    Atlanta
    Yes. It's part of the make-good for playing the first eight games at Bobby Dodd. They originally sold season tickets under the pretense that all games would be played at the Benz. People were pretty upset when that didn't work out so they gave us some free tickets, merch, and a small rebate. All in all they were pretty generous.

jayd8888, Revolt and Andy_B repped this.
  15. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Yes, but it's only 2 tickets to one match at MBS. So you're looking at about 44,000 tickets total based on when the kerfuffle occurred. But I doubt they'll all be used at once and as of right now we still have a gap between season tickets sold (~33k) and the regular MLS capacity (~ 41K).

Like I said, I'm expecting the first and/or last match at MBS to be opened up at least in part.

jayd8888 repped this.
  16. GoingGoaling

GoingGoaling Member

Jul 12, 2010
    Atlanta
    I'm pretty sure all STHs get the free tickets. Not just the ones who bought early on.

17. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I don't know. I think they simply got discounted rates. Never thought of it, to be honest.

18. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

jayd8888, KTown222 and Andy_B repped this.
  19. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ballsy prediction for that game.

20. Tom Ado

Tom Ado Member

Jun 25, 2015
    #70 Tom Ado, Mar 11, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
    I know Twitter follower count doesn't tell the whole story, but Minnesota is in the same territory as a bunch of MLS 1.0 teams. The three other MLS team that debuted in 2015 and beyond are in the top five with at least 319k followers.

Atlanta - 380k :thumbsup:
    Seattle - 373k
    LA Galaxy - 360k
    Orlando - 344k
    NYCFC - 319k
    Houston - 308k
    Vancouver - 294k
    Toronto - 284k
    Sporting KC - 278k
    Montreal - 273k
    Portland - 263k
    San Jose - 182k
    NYRB - 181k
    Columbus - 136k
    Dallas - 126k
    RSL - 120k
    DC United - 115k
    Chicago -113k
    Philadelphia - 106k
    New England - 86.8k
    Colorado - 81.4k
    Minnesota - 51.3k :(

Not only has their lack of ambitious player signings left me concerned, but so has the lack of buzz/marketing surrounding the team, save for the awesome crest/kit. I hope they realize you only get one shot to make a strong first impression, especially in a crowded market with four other pro teams.

I also notice there's a steep drop-off in followers after Portland, and 8 of the 10 pre-2000 MLS teams fall into that bottom half group--the Galaxy and successfully-rebranded Sporting KC being the lone exceptions.

21. Bubba1971

Bubba1971 Member+

Nov 12, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LAFC has more Twitter followers than Minnesota. 73.4k.

I'm not sure Twitter followers mean much. The Galaxy and Sounders are really active and get into cat fights, if a team doesn't put much into they probably don't get many followers. It's a platform choice I assume.

JasonMa repped this.
  22. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #72 Paul Berry, Mar 12, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
    MLS 2016 21,692
    MLS 2017 21,637 (as of Saturday)
    Serie A 2016/17 - 21,468
    Ligue 1 2016/17 - 20,396
    What's more impressive is the average capacity of Serie A stadiums is 40k compared to 23k (official) for MLS.

Revolt repped this.
  23. deedsy

deedsy Member

Mar 1, 2013
    I think the twitter followers are saying something - look how all the top ones are healthy attendance-wise, whereas the bottom ones, with the exception of RSL and Philly, struggle with attendance

24. Bubba1971

Bubba1971 Member+

Nov 12, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Twitter followers can be anywhere. If you're following a global branding strategy you have a lot, if you're concentrating your marketing money locally you don't have as many. That why Houston has more than Portland. Just because Minnesota isn't chasing global stature like LAFC is doesn't mean that they can't be another Portland. I haven't been to Minneapolis in years, so I don't know what the buzz really is. Just because there's not much marketing going on outside of their local area does mean it isn't happening.

JasonMa repped this.
  25. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    24259 at yankee stadium