MLS 2015 TV Thread (Ratings, contracts etc)

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by MLSFan123, Jan 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 4four4

4four4 Member+

Nov 13, 2013
    Land of 10,000 Lakes
    No.

It's probably the only time I would ever cheer for a MLS club vs. the rest of the world. ;)

2. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    More numbers:

5th Place game: Club America vs Mazembe 52k Fox Deportes
    Semifinal: River Plate vs Hiroshima 47k Fox Deportes 51k FS1

Quarterfinal: America vs GUANGZHOU 70k Fox Deportes
    Mazembe - Hiroshima 68k FS1 6k Fox Deportes

And last, and very definitely least Auckland vs Heroshima 15k FS1 6k Fox Deportes :)

3. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It appears Orlando City has opted out of its TV deal with WOFL and WRBW, which means it won't be on regional sports nets next season.

They are finalizing a new deal with local ABC affiliate WFTV. Of course, this likely means we'll likely be airing on their sister station, WRDQ, once college football ramps back up.

4. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    So Orlando City won't be available to as much of the state? If the money is better, that may be worth it.

Wouldn't they be on the sister station most of the year, not just in the fall. Is WFTV going to preempt network programming to show Orlando City?

5. Tom Ado

Tom Ado Member

Jun 25, 2015
    America-Guangzhou drew 344k on Fox Deportes and 32k on FS2. Imagine the numbers if they were playing Barcelona in a better timeslot for U.S. audiences.

http://sportstvratings.com/heisman-...v-ratings-for-saturday-december-12-2015/4095/

6. RafaLarios

RafaLarios Member+

Oct 2, 2009
    Medellín
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    the timeslots for the CWC are horrendous for us in the americas,...it has always been like that, but I bet a lot more people would watch if it were aired in a better time.

7. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Well the times were better when the tournament was held in Morocco. Not sure what the ratings were like for that.

8. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting, but given the number of Super Bowl parties (isn't it the largest party day of the year, or nearly so?) the average household has a lot of people in it watching. I'll wager much more than approximately 1/3 of the population is watching the game.

TheJoeGreene repped this.
  9. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My 2 year old (at the time) was very adept at cheering for RSL and Spurs (Tottenham Hotspur).

10. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    #2660 Boloni86, Dec 24, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2015
    It's a horrible tournament format that doesn't promote excitement. There's almost more consolation games than real games. An MLS team may make it and not even play a single game against the more famous clubs. This tournament won't be enjoyable until more clubs get invited and teams are guaranteed more meaningful games. Maybe 2 groups of 4 with the 8th spot going to the defending champ.

But of course where is the time for that in this congested soccer calendar ... One thing they could do without creating calendar conflicts is having a more diverse rotation of hosts. Nothing promotes an event more than giving more people opportunities to attend in person.

11. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Houston vs NYCFC was not shown in New York as the Yankees - Blue Jays game at Yankee Stadium overran due to rain delays. The club posted on social media that the game was being shown online but it was subject to a local blackout. In the end somebody hooked up the local Houston feed to YouTube. It turned out to be one of the worst performances of the season and that's saying a lot. Neither the club or the YES network ever apologized.

12. revsfan603

revsfan603 Member

New England Revolution
    Jun 20, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    ADO Den Haag
    Hoping with Platini being kicked out as Eufa pres, we will see the club world cup switch over to a system more like the actual world cup with more teams being involved. But you do have to remember it can be extremely hard to fit another large tournament into a lot of these teams schedule as they already have very packed seasons. An Idea would be to only hold it once ever 4 years or something. I've always been of the school of thought that league should just play through atleat some international breaks which would leave a good amount of time at the end of each season but thats just my opinion. It would definitely be cool to see the club world cup grow though.

13. Tom Ado

Tom Ado Member

Jun 25, 2015
    I can see the non-European clubs treating an extended Club World Cup like a big deal since it's their one chance to play on a global stage. But the UEFA teams will probably treat it like an International Champions Cup match, unless the financial incentive is there. Every summer is already booked with a major international tournament (World Cup, Confederations Cup, Euros, Copa America, etc.), so some of these tournaments would have to be moved around to make room for it.

I still would like to see the U.S. bid for the current Club World Cup and play the matches in L.A. because of the ideal December weather. If the big-drawing teams like Barcelona or Club America play their matches at the Coliseum, while the lesser-known AFC, CAF and OFC teams play their matches next-door at the smaller LAFC stadium, you could get crowds that actually look respectable on TV.

14. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anything that puts a lot of games on a digital subchannel is not going to be a good deal. Those channels are mostly invisible or hard to find for most casual folks - Dynamo tried that a few years ago with the local CBS affiliate which was trying to make the .2 channel viable but then they gave up and just run BounceTV on it. Don't think they even measure ratings on those sub channels and not every cable system carries them and even then most are not in HD.

15. Tom Ado

Tom Ado Member

Jun 25, 2015
    Caught this TV commercial for the ESPN App a couple days ago that had MLS fans holding a Timbers and NYCFC sign, while a Sounders fan was blowing a vuvuzela. Guess ESPN knows which demo would be most interested in this. :)
    http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=14417388

16. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Slap your kid .... cheering for Tottenham is all sorts of wrong.

17. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh sure, he can say that. If I had said the same thing about Salt Lake though the mods would have carded me! :D

revsfan603, HailtotheKing and BalanceUT repped this.
  18. PTFC in KCMO

PTFC in KCMO Member+

Aug 12, 2012
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    What if we let you slap Kronke instead?

19. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You told me to slap my kid for cheering for the team her father cheers for? You can bite my lilly white behind. :mad:

20. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You need a slapping too !!!!! :whistling:
    [​IMG]
    :sneaky:

21. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a rivalries thread, haul your pea shooter somewhere else, Gooner.

22. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    87,000 people watched the 2014 final (Real Madrid v. San Lorenzo) on FS2, which was on at 2:30 PM Eastern on a Saturday.

23. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just putting the context to the comment ... and these pea shooters are more than enough for you chickens :p

24. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    <plonk!>

HailtotheKing repped this.
  25. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+