MLS 2015 TV Thread (Ratings, contracts etc)

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by MLSFan123, Jan 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What network carries the game? ABC? MLS isn't getting on network fox on a Sunday at 4 during nfl season. It's either a double header weekend or a single regional game at 1 or 4. You lose the 4pm markets that have an nfl game to show. ABC has shown MLS cup, on Sunday's. If it was worth it, they'd offer the time slot.

2. DanielCzech

DanielCzech Member

Mar 10, 2015
    Club:
    --other--
    NHL games on NBCSN are often blacked out in home markets.

The second leg of the Pumas/Tigres Liga MX Apertura final drew 2.8 million viewers on UniMas and Univision Deportes Network Sunday night. Stanley Cup final Game 6 drew 8 mil. viewers. Liga MX is NOT more popular than NHL.

3. Howard the Drake

Feb 27, 2010
  4. Stupid_American

Stupid_American Member+

Jan 8, 2003
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know it's your thing to come into this thread anytime NHL/hockey is mentioned. That's fine and I'm not here to disagree with your general premise. Nevertheless, I would at least like you to concede that this point you always raise about NHL games being blacked out in home markets is not really helpful in the context of comparisons to Liga MX since Liga MX viewership in the US includes - by its very definition - ZERO local markets. Every single Liga MX viewer is "out of market," since they're not, you know, in Mexico.

5. Tom Ado

Tom Ado Member

Jun 25, 2015
    #2630 Tom Ado, Dec 18, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2015

This increase comes despite the additional soccer offered in the same time slot this season between overflow EPL matches on USA and Bundesliga matches on Fox.

6. ukraine76

ukraine76 Member

Feb 8, 2001
    New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's a bit artificial though. If there is a Chelsea game on NBCSN and an Arsenal game on USA at the same time, it makes sense that there are more viewers PER WINDOW compared to having no Arsenal game on USA. There are people who would watch Arsenal, but not Chelsea

7. soundermiki

soundermiki Member+

May 24, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They're not getting any money from ABC; it's a cost-split.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-8-abc7/?postshare=5831450472055103&tid=ss_tw

"Terms between United and Sinclair were not disclosed. Sinclair is not paying a rights’ fee; rather, the sides have entered into a partnership and will share costs. The sides will also partner on match production. United will oversee sales."

Only marginally better than Chicago's deal, who are paying for the broadcast rights.

ceezmad repped this.
  8. usadcu

usadcu Member

Aug 25, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    It's also a lose/win on availability.

CSN is the regional sports channel, on cable systems all over Maryland, DC, Virginia, (and maybe a few in WV, NC?). It carries Caps and Wizards games, and pre-season NFL (Bal and Was). so leaving CSN is a reduction in area of coverage, though also less fighting with other sports to show games.
    I realize the article notes that the station ownership group has control of other stations in Baltimore, Richmond and Norfolk...we'll see if that comes to anything.

The upside is that in the mix of newschannel8 (cable) and ABC7 (over the air), to the extant that any games are on ABC7 - even if on a subcarrier - that's available to everyone in the DC metro area with antenna, cable, DBS, what have you.

More broadly, for the whole league, has anyone heard of any MLS guidelines or best practices for the teams to negotiate these local tv deals?

9. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    If it's make money, don't spend money; the team has failed.

10. 4four4

4four4 Member+

Nov 13, 2013
    Land of 10,000 Lakes
    Interesting I never knew NHL games on NBCSN were blacked out in our city every Wild game is on television. The Wild average a 2.5 to 3.0 during the season and sell out every game all the while at the same time the Golden Gophers ares selling out their 10k arena and averaging a 1.0 at the same time. No where else in the country do we see that.

11. 4four4

4four4 Member+

Nov 13, 2013
    Land of 10,000 Lakes
    Anybody who believes Liga MX is bigger than the NHL in this country needs their head examined for trolling. It's not even close.

12. IndyMac

IndyMac Member

Nov 2, 2008
    Evansville, Indiana
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some NBCSN NHL games are not exclusive, and are also carried by the local RSN, in that case NBCSN is usually blacked out in the local market, you would still get the game on FS North.

13. IndyMac

IndyMac Member

Nov 2, 2008
    Evansville, Indiana
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think Liga MX is bigger than the NHL overall, but I think being in Minnesota you may be overestimating the NHL's popularity nationally. I'm sure Liga MX is bigger than the NHL in the the Southwestern US. Growing up in Indiana, I used to think basketball was a lot more popular everywhere, but I now know that most of the country only cares about the NCAA tournament.

Boloni86, Tom Ado and Stupid_American repped this.
  14. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    What are the usual ratings for USWNT games? I assume that's a huge bump for Wambach's last game.

15. Tom Ado

Tom Ado Member

Jun 25, 2015
    #2640 Tom Ado, Dec 19, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2015
    I believe the Wednesday Night Rivalry games are all exclusive.

10/7 Rangers/Blackhawks - 925k
    10/14 Blackhawks/Flyers - 605k
    11/4 Blues/Blackhawks - 572k
    12/2 Rangers/Islanders - 550k
    10/21 Flyers/Bruins - 530k
    11/11 Canadiens/Penguins - 496k
    11/18 Capitals/Red Wings - 477k
    10/28 Penguins/Capitals - 462k
    12/9 Bruins/Canadiens - 436k

The Blackhawks were involved in the top three rated NBCSN games so far, and there's a strong Northeastern/Upper Midwestern component to the NHL's national scheduling. The NHL, without question, trumps any individual soccer league in these traditional regions, but everywhere else, the league's stature is probably closer to MLS than it is to the NBA or MLB.

The Liga MX TV audience is heavily concentrated in the Spanish-speaking Southwestern states, so it's not far-fetched to place Liga MX and the NHL on the same tier if you're looking at things from the perspective of someone who lives in LA, Houston or Phoenix, where ice hockey isn't as entrenched in the local sports scene as the Northeast or Upper Midwest. Obviously, that's not the case nationwide if you compare their postseason ratings.

16. Tom Ado

Tom Ado Member

Jun 25, 2015
    Victory Tour ratings:
    Wed 12/16 vs China (FS1) - 709k
    Sun 12/13 vs China (ESPN2) - 489k
    Thu 12/10 vs Trinidad and Tobago (ESPN2) - 342k
    Sun 10/25 vs Brazil (FS1) - 249k
    Wed 10/21 vs Brazil (ESPN2) - 331k
    Sun 9/20 vs Haiti (ESPN2) - 173k
    Thu 9/17 vs Haiti (FS1) - 207k
    Wed 8/19 vs Costa Rica (ESPN2) - 274k
    Sun 8/16 vs Costa Rica (FS1) - 315k

Obviously a Wambach farewell bump for the final match. I figured even the most die-hard USWNT would eventually get bored with these cash-grab tomato can friendlies.

Totoro repped this.
  17. matbluvenger

matbluvenger Member+

Reno 1868
    United States
    Aug 2, 2010
    Reno, NV
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can confirm. Grew up in Vegas, spent a lot of time in other SW cities.

18. Kejsare

Kejsare Member+

Portland Timbers
    Mar 10, 2010
    Virginia
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How Major League Soccer Is Closing The Gap With The Big Four
    Forbes

The money quotes

19. 4four4

4four4 Member+

Nov 13, 2013
    Land of 10,000 Lakes
    I also would add the following quote.

“We’ve heard from a lot of international players who have access to games and say they never knew quality of play was that good. They are taking a look at MLS and thinking differently, because they can now watch the games.”

20. matbluvenger

matbluvenger Member+

Reno 1868
    United States
    Aug 2, 2010
    Reno, NV
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, that article made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

21. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Something looks wrong here in this line from that Forbes article. He has to be talking about national and local coverage and if so there is no way there were only 98 games were televised in 2014

=================================================

In 2014, MLS had ninety-eight night games televised. This past year, MLS had all of its 340 games on air.

22. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    English chanels only?

23. Howard the Drake

Feb 27, 2010
    I would guess he meant 2004, although it's a weird comparison since MLS has had mostly every game televised for a few years IIRC.

24. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BTW?

If we add up Spanish TV, English TV, Canada TV and Online viewership, in North America, does that add up to 2.6 million?

Forbes makes it sound like more (or about the same) Europeans watched the MLS cup than Canadians/Americans.

25. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Does anyone have any CWC ratings? People claim that reaching this tournament would be the pinnacle of MLS success, but is anyone watching?

EDIT: Found the numbers.

Final: Barcelona vs River Plate: 211k Fox Deportes 72k FS1
    3rd Place game: 8k on FS2
    Semifinal: BARCELONA/GUANGZHOU 77k FS1 74k FS Deprtes

billf repped this.