MLS 2014 Week X Continuous PBP Thread [Multiple R]

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Ismitje, Jun 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RfrancisR

RfrancisR Member+

Aug 7, 2006
    New Orleans Diaspora
    Michael ********ing Bradley! You could rise from the cross and I'd still spit in your face.

2. GreatGonzo

GreatGonzo Member+

Jul 1, 1999
    MA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Yeah, absolutely. I never thought we were going to be 5 ********ing seconds away from 6 points, though.

3. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia

US is beating Argentina U18s in Colorado or you can listen to shit like this

4. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I'm too mad to rep this.

6. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Which is why it fcuking sucks.

... anyway ...

Off to the gym. It's gonna be really bad if I start to cry in the weight room.

BalanceUT repped this.
  7. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    This feels so much like the 2008 olympics. I am not going to jinx it.

8. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    What are our scenarios?

Win we are through, dur.

Tie we are through.

Portugal and Ghana tie we are through.

But for the ties.

it is all about goal differential correct?

If we lose we are at least at 0 GD.
    If Ghana wins they are at least at 0 GD.
    If Portugal wins they are at least at -3 GD.

If we are tied with Ghana on GD then it goes to goals scored. We have 4, they have 3 currently.

Outside of a tie, we want Portugal to win by a small margin. Portugal can win by 2 goals and we still have some good breathing room.

I am afraid Ghana is going to win though. They have impressed me. And Portugal is going to have to attack from the opening minute, which is going to be very dangerous against Ghana. If Ghana even gets one goal, I think Portugal loses all hope and that puts Ghana with everything to gain against Portugal with really nothing to play for.

BUT, lets just get a result against Germany.

JasonMa repped this.
  9. pankfish

pankfish Member

Jun 29, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    We are still in position to win the group of death. We are tied for first going into the last match.

We were never going to win this group without beating Germany unless we were going to hang a couple more goals on Portugal in the last 5 seconds.

10. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    We need a Ghana-Portugal Draw. Win for either team is really risky. As is losing is for us.

A US-Germany Draw will get so many people investigating match fixing.

11. SetPeace

SetPeace Member+

Jun 22, 2004
    SC Illinois
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Crazy...Tim Howard's reaction on the tying goal seemed to indicate he felt he could have done better to stop the header. On the first Portugal goal, I thought he hit the deck too soon and had a better chance to stop the shot if he stayed upright.

12. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    On Thursday, all you will see me post every minute is "I believe that we will draw"

13. Golazo

Golazo Member+

Apr 15, 1999
    Decatur, GA USA
    I'm now convinced he's in his own head. There is no other explanation for his poor performances the last two games. The only solution is for him to put it back on autopilot. One hopes that's against Germany.

14. Golazo

Golazo Member+

Apr 15, 1999
    Decatur, GA USA
    I guarantee you at least one person there will know why.

15. I know. If either Ghana, or Portugal won a game, they wouldn't have to depend on the kindness of strangers. I think Ghana opens up a can of whupass on Portugal and we are biting our nails to get a result.

16. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    Going behind in 3/4 games last time around wasn't so hot either

17. SetPeace

SetPeace Member+

Jun 22, 2004
    SC Illinois
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the grand scheme of things, assuming USA gets what it needs to advance to the 16's, I don't necessarily fear any potential Group H opponent. Having said that, this has been a crazy-good World Cup. It's had everything soccer fools like us love about the game. There have been some terrific plays in most games, and there have been very few stinkers so far.

18. GreatGonzo

GreatGonzo Member+

Jul 1, 1999
    MA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I need to figure out some way to get this game out of my head so I can fall asleep tonight.

Golazo and DynamoEAR repped this.
  19. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I don't rate Portugal. We should have six points, and we should have been gunning for six since the draw. A team that ties Northern Ireland and Israel isn't that good.

Four is fine, but I wouldn't have taken it if offered.

20. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    MLS and his son have eroded Bradley's robotic side. It's a shame.

21. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Not an unfair thought. It was really close to Howard. I wouldn't expect him to save, but he reacted poorly.

22. the5timechamp

the5timechamp Member+

Nov 3, 2012
    Wondo did a solid job in the short time he was on ..his change of pace cut to the corner milked some nice clock...WE WERE SO CLOSE!!!!!!!!!!

23. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I just got a picture message from my girl with a message that she needs to be punished.

She understands.

I love her.

24. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Scenarios:
    US result - we advance
    Portugal result - we advance

If we lose and Ghana wins, the U.S. advances if both Portugal and the U.S. stay within one goal of Ghana's total, and the U.S. only loses by one goal.

Right now we're +2 goal difference and +1 total goals and have the head to head on Ghana.

If we lose and Ghana wins the +2 GD is gone, but we need it to be no better than zero, so we can't lose by more than one and Ghana can't win by more than one.

If that happens we we need to stay within one goal of Ghana. If we score as many or more then we advance on total goals. If Ghana scores two more they advance. If Ghana scores one more than we do against Germany, we advance on the third tie-breaker - head to head.

I'm ignoring possibilities where Portugal makes up the -5GD on us.

SetPeace repped this.
  25. DynamoEAR

DynamoEAR Member+

May 30, 2011
    HoustAtlantaDMV
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That, and the fact that Monday and Tuesday at work are going to go by at snails pace.:(