MLS 2014 TV Thread (Ratings, contracts etc)

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by MLSFan123, Jan 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. revsfan603

revsfan603 Member

New England Revolution
    Jun 20, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    ADO Den Haag
  2. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    revsfan603, sitruc and deejay repped this.
  3. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
  4. El Duderino

El Duderino Member

Nov 29, 2006
  5. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The majority of MLS games will be Saturday night. Do the Yankees tend to play at night or during the day on a Saturday?

6. El Duderino

El Duderino Member

Nov 29, 2006
    I just checked the schedule and it looks like a bunch of day games to begin, then a mix of 1pm and 7pm games as the season progresses. There are also a ton of TBD times as well.

MLSFan123 repped this.
  7. Howard the Drake

Feb 27, 2010
    most Saturday MLB games are at night, unless they're picked up for a FOX broadcast generally.

MLSFan123 repped this.
  8. bbsbt

bbsbt Member+

Feb 26, 2003
    Maybe you are thinking about RBNY?
    The past few years whenever I checked the DirectTV program guide I remember always seeing RBNY on YES.

9. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sitruc repped this.
  10. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The WFAN radio deal was announced a long time ago, it was just added into this press release as a reminder. As I have been saying, I hope they have a plan, preferably with an OTA network, to broadcast any matches which conflict with the Yankees, instead of squeezing in kickoffs around the Yankees schedule or pushing it to some obscure alternate Yes station.

sitruc repped this.
  11. waltlantz

waltlantz Member

Jul 6, 2010
    It's on MLS to make sure that they get through the group stage and it's always a MLS vs Liga MX tilt. That and it's a close rivalry between leagues. End of story.

If they do that, I think marketing and audiences easily go up for the CCL, which it's not getting from the rest of the respective country's markets.

12. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Orlando also secured a local deal with Fox 35 to be their English language broadcast partner.

MLSFAN12 repped this.
  13. Stupid_American

Stupid_American Member+

Jan 8, 2003
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Red Bulls have always been on MSG (the "home" of Knicks and Rangers games, as well). And according to this article, MSG Networks re-upped with a multi-year extension at the beginning of the 2014 MLS season.

The breakdown for broadcast rights in New York basically works like this:

MSG/MSG+: Knicks, Rangers, Devils, Islanders, Red Bulls
    YES: Yankees, Nets, NYCFC
    SNY: Mets, Big East sports

14. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Triple header to start the year! Nice work by Fox. Both Fox games on FS1.

WEEK 1

Friday, March 6
    LA Galaxy vs. Chicago Fire (StubHub Center) – 10 pm ET, Unimas

Sunday, March 8
    Orlando City SC vs. New York City FC (Orlando Citrus Bowl) – 5 pm ET, ESPN2
    Sporting Kansas City vs. New York Red Bulls (Sporting Park) – 7 pm ET, FOX Sports 1
    Seattle Sounders FC vs. New England Revolution (CenturyLink Field) – 9:30 pm ET, FOX Sports 1

looknohands, tab5g and m_vandersee repped this.
  15. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    #4140 tab5g, Dec 19, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2014
    Will be interesting to see what ESPN online/watch/digital will have in place by 3/7/15 for those games not televised nationally in the US:

Saturday, March 7
    D.C. United vs. Montreal Impact (RFK Stadium) – 3 pm ET, RDS1
    Vancouver Whitecaps FC vs. Toronto FC (BC Place) – 6 pm ET, TSN1 and RDS2
    Houston Dynamo vs. Columbus Crew SC (BBVA Compass Stadium)
    Philadelphia Union vs. Colorado Rapids (PPL PARK)
    Portland Timbers vs. Real Salt Lake (Providence Park)
    FC Dallas vs. San Jose Earthquakes (Toyota Stadium)

I'm also guessing/hoping that FS1 will have some of the CCL QFs in the two mid-weeks prior to the MLS season start. Likely the non-MLS/US teams would go on FS2, but it would be cool if DC United's CCL games were on FS1.

Almost time for a new "2015" thread?

16. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    check the date on the first post of this thread for a hint :)

jayd8888 and tab5g repped this.
  17. revsfan603

revsfan603 Member

New England Revolution
    Jun 20, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    ADO Den Haag
    Happy to see the first game on Unimas can't wait
    Also I'm guessing, the NYCFC v. New England game will be nationally televised, which will give both teams two nationally televised games in the first two weeks, very interesting, and probably can't hurt ratings with such big markets. This also reminds me how much of a help having another big team in a large market helps, plus the revs gaining a stronger following in their market even if it is only a little bit greater.

18. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Avaya Stadium opener will be on national tv as well

19. dodgers323

dodgers323 Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stubhub is gonna look mighty empty when the season begins. LA traffic on a Friday rush hour is horrendous.

20. dodgers323

dodgers323 Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    8pm start woulda been better.

21. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Galaxy are gonna put up a new banner, and nobody will be there to see it.

22. annoyingracoon01

Aug 29, 2014
    Chicago
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm curious to see how fox will use the MLS. Fox soccer has lagged behind nbc coverage of the bpl and espn coverage of the world cup, but fox has made some good pickups (Alexi Lalas) and their coverage of the women's world cup draw was great. I'm also excited to see LA vs Chi on uni mas because univision finally has their own tv rights deal. I'm also wondering how espn will use the out of market package.

ESPN Networks

• Minimum of 34 regular season games, on an exclusive basis, on Sundays at 5 p.m. ET primarily on ESPN2.
    • ESPN and FOX Sports will share MLS Cup Playoff matches outside of the two Univision games.
    • MLS Cup will alternate each year between ESPN and FOX Sports 1.
    • The AT&T MLS All-Star Game will alternate each year between ESPN and FOX Sports 1.
    • ESPN and FOX Sports will split all U.S. Soccer matches.
    • ESPN3 will carry the matches in MLS’ out-of-market package.
    • ESPN Radio and ESPN Deportes Radio networks have the rights to broadcast MLS matches.
    • ESPN obtains digital rights across all platforms and devices for the games it televises.
      FOX Sports
      • Minimum of 34 regular season games, on an exclusive basis, on Sundays at 7 p.m. ET primarily on FOX Sports 1.
      • FOX Sports 1 and ESPN will split MLS Cup Playoff matches outside of the two Univision games.
      • MLS Cup will alternate each year between FOX Sports 1 and ESPN.
      • The AT&T MLS All-Star Game will alternate each year between FOX Sports 1 and ESPN.
      • FOX Sports obtains digital rights across all platforms and devices for the games it televises, including its FOX Sports GO mobile app and FOXSportsGO.com for desktops.
      • FOX Sports obtain digital highlight rights for MLS’s out-of-market package via FOX Sports digital platforms.
      • ESPN and FOX Sports 1 will split all U.S. Soccer matches.
      • FOX Sports Radio network has the opportunity to broadcast MLS matches.
      • Univision
        • Minimum of 34 regular season games, on an exclusive basis, on Friday evenings usually at 7 p.m. ET or 11 p.m. ET, primarily on UniMás.
        • Two MLS Cup Playoff matches per season, on an exclusive basis, during the knockout round.
        • The AT&T MLS All-Star Game and MLS Cup, exclusively in Spanish on Univision.
        • All U.S. Soccer Men’s National Team matches, including a minimum of four U.S. Women’s National Team matches each year over the term.
        • Exclusive MLS matches on the Univision networks will include Second Audio Program (SAP), providing viewers the option of watching games in English. English audio also will be available for matches televised on Univision’s digital platforms.
        • Univision Deportes Network (UDN), Univision’s 24-hour sports network, will feature 5-7 consecutive Friday doubleheaders in May and June that will be surrounded by two hours of MLS ancillary programming.
        • UDN will televise a weekly Sunday MLS wrap-up program and a condensed MLS match of the week.
        • Univision obtains digital rights across all platforms and mobile devices for the games it televises.

23. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Univision has always had their own deal. They were the first tv network to actually pay money to MLS.

redinthemorning and MLSFan123 repped this.
  24. LordRobin

LordRobin Member+

Sep 1, 2006
    Akron, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a subscriber to MLS Live since back when they still called it Match Day Live, this new television deal is going to be a huge step backward for me. I'm not happy.

With MLS Live, for my $60 I got the whole season. Every game. Sure, I had to wait a couple of days for the network broadcasts, but eventually I could watch them. This was really important to me, because it was the only way I could watch the weekly Spanish-language game. Even if I was willing to pay for a Spanish-language tier just for one more MLS game a week, my cable system didn't carry Galavision.

Now the non-network and ESPN games will be on WatchESPN, the FS1 and FS2 games will be on FOX Sports Go, and the Univision games? No idea. I guess on whatever Univision's streaming service is. But it doesn't matter, because AFAIK, I don't get UniMás. (And I'd have to pay extra even if I did.)

I am now staring at the possibility of games in 2015 which I will be unable to watch in any way, ever (save illegal streaming). That was never the case with MLS Live.

MLS Live spoiled us rotten. Season-long archives, condensed games, a video player that indexed goals and cards, and all the games in one place. Now the games will be spread over multiple streaming providers, and the chances of seeing any of those extra goodies is next to nil.

I guess I can't blame MLS for making this decision. Killing MLS Live and selling the non-network games to ESPN probably brought in more money than all the MLS Live subscribers combined, and it will increase exposure by putting the games in front of everyone who has access to ESPN3. But for MLS Live subscribers, it royally goddamn sucks.

------RM

25. John Pittman

John Pittman Member

Nov 19, 2014
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I swear I am not saying this to be snark. Just dont want you to be left in the dark.

Google First Row Sports