MLS 2013 TV Ratings

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by MLSFan123, Jan 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Interesting. Though since I don't pay as much attention to the ratings over the years, the thing that always strikes me about the ESPN2 ratings is how much higher they are than the NBCSN ratings, even considering the small difference in distribution of the network. What makes the difference, the lead in (or rather, usual lack of one for NBCSN), or do people find the ESPN2 stuff via channel surfing and they don't check NBCSN?

2. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly, outside of hockey fans and MLS fans, most folks likely don't even know what channel NBCSN is.

Fanatical Monk repped this.
  3. Twix1138

Twix1138 Member

Jul 9, 2010
    I think part of the problem is that a lot of key MLS markets have been regressing. The newer and more successful MLS teams unfortunately carry a lot less weight population wise. Whatever gain you get from Kansas is easily canceled out many times over by losses in DC, Chicago, LA, etc...

Fix DC, NE, Chicago, etc... and I think ratings will go up.

4. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good point. The small market success if great for the league, particularly SKC and Por. Only helps to make a stronger league.

But it has to be in addition to successful large markets. When the small markets do well but the large markets(DC/NE/Chi) and could also throw (Chivas/Philly) into this, aren't doing well, it's a problem. The large markets have to be stronger without a doubt. NE and Chi with better ownership could be on the same level as LA/NY/Sea, probably should be.

Khkevin repped this.
  5. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think NBCSN pulled very strong ratings for the Olympics last year in sports other than soccer if memory serves but in general, yeah the channel has very little mindshare for the average viewer.

6. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Three main reasons:

1) ESPN2 is still in roughly 19 million more homes than NBCSN. That is a fairly significant number

2) NBCSN is also a brand new channel when compared to ESPN2. The fact that the network has changed names numerous times hurts their ability to get a long term affect on the mind share of viewers like the ESPNs.

3) ESPN2 typically has a much better channel placement than NBCSN in the various cable and satellite packages (although this is slowly changing).

7. Khkevin

Khkevin Member

Sep 16, 2012
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yet:
    DC United
    Chicago Fire
    New England Revolution
    New York Redbulls

can't even fill their stadiums fully unlike small market teams.

8. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's on the ownership, not the fans. The DCU fans are merely sick and tired of the bullshit, and the last straw in showing that is not showing up. That fan base is loyal as hell ... but I don't blame them for staying home at this point.

triplet1 and sitruc repped this.
  9. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS needs to step in before it corrupts the entire team.

Galaxy cant get 24+ anymore either.

10. CCinGermany

CCinGermany Member

May 3, 2006
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    THANK YOU. There has hardly been a game on national TV this year that was likely to grab the attention of anyone who happened onto it.

11. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The level of play is much higher than in 1996 and 1997, and yet, ratings are lower.

12. CCinGermany

CCinGermany Member

May 3, 2006
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well yes...but you had a novelty factor then, and the last bit of buzz from the 1994 World Cup to boot.

It is my opinion that the level of play is a more important factor in low TV ratings than not having enough New York teams, but maybe I am wrong.

13. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Two things. MLS was shiny and new in 1996.

Second, MLS is not a sports league it is a company whose product resembles professional soccer. Huge difference.

Khkevin repped this.
  14. PTFC in KCMO

PTFC in KCMO Member+

Aug 12, 2012
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    I would love to see what the MLS Live numbers are. I get this gut feeling a lot of viewers are not showing up in the ratings.

Also, I think a lot of the National TV matchups this year have kind of sucked. Why the hell wasn't Sporting KC and Houston on TV last weekend?

15. Stereolab

Stereolab BigSoccer Member

Jul 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Indeed. I watch as much as I can on MLS Live and many of the juiciest games are Internet only... inexplicably...

16. PTFC in KCMO

PTFC in KCMO Member+

Aug 12, 2012
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    It seems at times they are just blindly drawing games out of a hat with no regard to the matchup, the location, and the popularity of the club.

of course, as soon as I say that, I look on MLS.com and see the next three national tv games are New York - LA, Kansas City - Houston, and LA - Seattle. LOL

17. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ???

18. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    [​IMG]

Kejsare, looknohands, Totoro and 3 others repped this.
  19. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure but it is not like the ratting fell off 1 year since 2006, it has been a downward trend, that is not good.

I know they are lower than 2006, do you have ratings info from 1996 and 1997? we would love to add then in the historical data.

20. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    ditto.

21. Stupid_American

Stupid_American Member+

Jan 8, 2003
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From John Ourand on Twitter: "Source email: Same-day encore of FA Cup Final on Fox Soccer Sat had more viewers (55K) than NBCSN’s live MLS match CHI-PHI (51K) that day."

22. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think this is true. It has been more of an up and down pattern, not just down.

ESPN2
    2006: 263k
    2007: 289k
    2008: 253k
    2009: 284k
    2010: 249k

After 2010, ESPN came back into play so you can't just look at the ESPN2 numbers alone.

Combined ESPN/ESPN2
    2011: 288k
    2012: 318k

I think it is very fair to say ratings are stagnant on the ESPN's but to say they are on a continual downward trend since 2006 is not supported by the data imo.

redinthemorning repped this.
  24. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    MLSFan123 repped this.
  25. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes I was mostly talking about ESPN2, the numbers are down from 2007 (yes some yeas up, some down) but the trend is down.

Now we could argue that the other English package is up with the move from FSC to NBCSN. Also ESPN showing more games is a good trend (reversal from the trend of them showing less MLS games).

Spanish language has also been down but that is mostly to MLS games being sent to Galavision, now back in Unimas the ratting should be up by a lot, the question is how they will look vs the ratings the last time they were on telefutura.