MLS 2007 Non-Wizards discussion [R]

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by IowaBoy, Apr 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IowaBoy

IowaBoy Member

Jul 23, 2003
    Des Moines
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good opener for Colorado in their new stadium. My expectations weren't high for the Rapids, but they looked good. I'd imagine they'll drive other teams nuts with the combination of a wide field with the altitude. Herculez was great today, and Terry Cooke really impressed me as well. I don't remember seeing him before today, probably 'cause Colorado was rarely on TV (or at least I wasn't able to see them). Throwing Pablo into that midfield makes them even better.

DC just couldn't get into any sort of rhythm. Not sure if they were tired (either mentally or physically) from the Champions Cup games or what, but they weren't consistently all that dangerous. I was reminded after a long offseason how much I detest Ben Olsen's theatrics and whining. It'll be interesting to see how long this funk lasts, as it seems DC is capable of much much more than it showed today.

I enjoyed the EPL highlights during halftime and the MLS graphic as well. Production and announcing weren't the greatest, but I didn't think they were bad, either. At least it's apparent there's a greater commitment by ABC/ESPN toward soccer. Also loved the Jozy Altidore and DSD commercials.

2. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I'm officially confused. In past seasons it was easy. Root for Western Conference teams against Eastern Conference teams.

Now I don't know whether the Wizards will be fighting for a playoff spot against Colorado or DC?

Maybe I could just root for ties.

3. brodi60901

brodi60901 Member

Mar 8, 2003
    Altoona, IA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd like to know how a great left footed player with euro experience (VDB) got away for nothing just because "he doesn't fit our new system". I think you have to find a way to make a player like that fit. I predict he's going to score on us at least twice this season. Just my .02.

4. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    He looked good last week in Charleston, and he's looked dangerous today.

You just have to accept that his game is not speed. But then it wasn't Valderrama's or - at the end - Preki's either.

His ability to serve the ball and make release passes is definitely valuable.

That said, it's a Salary Cap and limited Senior Internationals world.

Of course if he fits under New York's bloated Salary Cap, I'd imagine KC could afford him as well.

Until I see if he's really missed, I won't fully pull out the knives.

5. Wizardscharter

Wizardscharter New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO
    All good points. Hard not to agree. VDB was dangerous today. Not much else to look at in that one, for sure.

Marianelli is younger, supposedly better on the ball, and hopefully will have better production.

6. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I'm not sure Marianelli is being brought in to fill the same role. I think Marianelli is just the latest in a long line of players being handed the keys to the car, or the center mid role.

DVB was about as pure a wide player as the team has ever had.

7. thewizrule

thewizrule New Member

Mar 14, 2006
    OP, KS
    my first thought after the game was, well this is good for the wizards, but i guess it really doesn't matter, but it never really makes me to upset when DC losses...unless its to Mexicans.

8. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Having had DC be the closest MLS team to me since the league started play, I enjoy it even more when DC gets their asses handed to them by Mexican teams.

I hate DC even more than I hate K-State. :eek: (roughly about as much as I hate Mizzou)

9. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    The only MLS game I had a chance to see tonight was the Colorado/DC game. Colorado definitely looked good and I loved how they completely broke down DCs mid to where the only amount of possession DC could maintain was in the backfield. Great goals by Gomez and Brown.

10. Uppa 90

Uppa 90 Member

Jan 16, 2004
    K.C. MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

His whining and grunting echoed through my TV after his last shot... i giggled a bit...

11. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah but what's the point in hating Mizzou? Not like they'r any good at anything? ;)

12. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Good parenting. ;)

13. thewizrule

thewizrule New Member

Mar 14, 2006
    OP, KS
    i guess as a Mizzou/Royals/Wizards/Chiefs Fan, i haven't had much to cheer about for awhile. so i have to look to other teams for some positive satisfaction so i don't jump off a bridge. so if its a concacaf game, i'll cheer for the MLS not just DC. i really don't like those Mexican teams, there my KU. My favorite College B-Ball team is whoever is playing against KU.

14. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Rapids were surprisingly good, they seemed to have it together. They held possession well and really had DC on their heals the entire match which is always fun to watch.

Buddle really looked good for Toronto, he has the potential to be a very strong striker in the league.

I thought the Colorado v. DC game was much more enjoyable than the Toronto v. Chivas game.

What was up with the FSC broadcast, it was terrible. Constant mistakes and really bad commentating. I almost put it on mute.

15. the_cyclones

the_cyclones New Member

Jul 26, 2004
    The Cauldron
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I recorded the pre/game/post on FSC... wow... broadcast was terrible from the start. So many technical mistakes. The guy with Sullivan I thought was about to lose it when the camera angles didn't change and when graphics didn't come up.

I thought the "Get me in the game" (right?) video was ok.

16. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he had that same potential about 4 years ago with columbus.

17. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    exactly, he has moments when he looks like the next big thing, and moments where he would have trouble in some men's rec leagues.

18. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Did anyone else see the Houston - Galaxy game??
    That was one of the most incredible 0-0 games I've seen in awhile. Very physical, very energetic game. Both sides played very well and pressured a lot. The defense and goalkeeping of each team was great too, and really cut down on each others' opportunities.

Last year I was all about poking fun at L.A., but this year they could be dangerous. Especially when a certain no-namer sneaks into their locker room sometime in mid-summer.

This weekend, L.A. and Houston were hands down the two best looking teams in MLS. Of course, the Kansas City Wizards didn't play, either. :p

19. Redfoot

Redfoot New Member

Dec 19, 2002
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It looked good from the highlights I watched on mlsnet, I still have the game on the dvr I may have to watch it when I get home tonight.

20. Wizardscharter

Wizardscharter New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO
    Rusults so far and mixed.

The good is (pre-Chicago Sunday game) KC sits 5th on table with one of two perfect records (CHI). In division, KC sits third, with a game in hand.

Toronto is crap. dc is crap currently, CLB hasn't scored or allowed a goal, NY picked up points 2-4 today by cashing in the scheduling quirk of Dallas having to play in LA Thursday night and then in NY on a Sunday afternoon. It's good to have friends in the NY league office I guess. BS, I say. Anyway, NE has played two good games by lost in Chicago having throughly outplayed the Fire, IMO.

In the West, Houston found some form, Chivas could go either way, Colorado has only played crap dc, RSL and LA are average at best right now. I'm not sure we know what DAL is - 3 different results in 3 games against a schedule that is hard to pin down.

Let's hope for a tie in the late game tonight.

21. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    DVB got a garbage time goal in NY's 3-0 win over a coast to coast travelling Dallas team.

Hislop has made a save and the rebound went to the top of the 18 where Dave ran onto it and buried it low and in the corner.

22. Redfoot

Redfoot New Member

Dec 19, 2002
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought NY looked good but like you said how much of that has to do with Dallas playing in L.A. on thursday night and then in NY on sunday afternoon.

23. IowaBoy

IowaBoy Member

Jul 23, 2003
    Des Moines
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, thoughts about the crazy day MLS has had? With Angel signing, then Wynne going to Toronto, and Schelotto being confirmed as headed to Columbus, all three moves will have an impact on the Wizards season.

Surprised NYRB pulled the trigger on Wynne, wonder who the backup to Freeman is if anything happens to him? Bruce better hope for Freeman to stay healthy. Toronto will at least have one very athletic defender, but from reports, their defense needs about three more good ones (haven't gotten to see them yet). Angel and Altidore will be a pretty fun duo to watch up top (when they're not playing the Wizards).
    Also haven't seen Columbus, but if Schelotto comes in with a good attitude, his experience and leadership should only help the youngsters they have. I don't see the Crew becoming world beaters, but they'll definitely pick up more points if he stays healthy.

24. Unorthodox Yank

Feb 27, 2001
    Constant Flux
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I was an MLS official, I'd head into the Crew locker room right now and tell Andy Herron that he better enjoy the last 45 minutes of the game, because it's going to be the last soccer he's going to play for at least a few weeks.

I don't blame the ref for not seeing it, cause it was in a crowd of people in the box...but man that elbow was terrible.

25. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He will definitly be getting a call from the league in the next few days.