MLB Strike and what it means to MLS

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by halfnelson31, Jul 26, 2002.

1. halfnelson31

halfnelson31 New Member

Jul 23, 2002
    NOVA
    If MLB goes on strike next season i can see MLS attendence averaging 17,000-18,000 a game and TV ratings to raise because sports fans will have nothing else to pay attention to except auto racing.

2. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    The MLB player's union is showing no small hesitancy in setting a strike date. Also, management's chief negotiator was strangely upbeat after the last meeting between the two sides. These are somewhat ambiguous occurrences, but they might be signals that MLB may avert a strike.

3. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think one has anything to do with another.

4. Delta Blues

Delta Blues New Member

Jun 25, 1999
    King Willieville
    As a matter of fact, with the owners seeming so friendly and amiable it makes you wonder if they're just trying to get the sympathy angle from the public for when the crap hits the fan.

5. soccerdome

soccerdome New Member

I agree. Now is our chance to try to catch some people curious about the sport. It worked with my math teacher:) He still is a huge White Sox fan but, he's starting to watch a few Fire games, too.

6. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Yeah, I'm getting that feeling as well. They might actually be coming to their senses.

7. quicksand

quicksand Member

May 7, 2000
    Brooklyn
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The success of MLS has nothing to do with whether MLB strikes, WNBA folds, etc. It might possibly mean a few fans, but baseball fans aren't going to be starving for things to occupy their time.

8. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    You may or may not be right about the first sentence, but you are completely wrong about the second. Baseball fans spend far more time on their sport than soccer fans. I know plenty that spend 30-40 hours a week on it.

This issue had been discussed extensively prior to the Big Soccer crash. If only a small % of baseball fans took up MLS, it would be greatly beneficial.

9. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this may be making too many generalizatoins, but a survey i read said that baseball, of the team sports, has the oldest fan base in america. soccer was among the youngest. would the older crowd be ready to embrace soccer? doubtful.
    I know if MLS went on strike, I wouldn't immediately start watching baseball. i'd rather poke myself in the eye with a rusty nail, but I wouldn't watch baseball.
    i think at best, you'd notice a slight -- if we're extremely lucky -- increase in tickets/tv. very slight.
    soccer is and will grow on its own. that said, i'm all for a baseball strike just on general principle.

10. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    I'd like to see some demographic studies on the subject, but I have heard the same things and assume it to be true. You need to realize that there are far more baseball fans than soccer fans. That still leaves a rather large pool of young baseball fans.

As for your anti-baseball stuff, reading big soccer has given me a great appreciation for the anti-soccer crowd.

11. Khansingh

Khansingh New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    The Luton Palace
    For what it's worth, FOX Saturday Baseball has seen its average ratings go from 3.5 in 1998 to 3.8 in 2002. That's an increase of 8%, while most leagues are seeing declines.

12. quicksand

quicksand Member

May 7, 2000
    Brooklyn
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They will just find other ways to fill their time. They won't be sitting at home thinking "I wish there was something to do now. Wait, soccer!" What I see more plausible is families wanting to go to a sporting event and seeing MLS since MLB isn't around, but it will have a minor, and temporary, spike if anything at all.

13. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes Sir, I love my lastros

Just what quicksand said...a MLB strike can have an impact on family outings to the ballpark but anything beyond that is a pipe dream. It would actually be more insulting if there was a strike and ESPN didn't cover MLS and its run to the playoffs any more or less with baseball gone. They appear to me as the station to go out of their way to show anything but soccer highlights even though baseball was gone!

As far as anyone taking a stab at "boreball' or whatever, let me remind y'all what Peter freakin' Gammons said back before the 1998 WC Final after interviewing Nomar about soccer and how it relates to baseball and newbies to the beautiful game..."soccer is the perfect compliment to baseball"...this is the freakin' Yoda of American baseball. If he can sit down with Nomar and "get it" about soccer and go on BASEBALL TONIGHT about how soccer is a waiting game like baseball where scoring is not just reaching first....than IMHO anyone can appreciate the two. Go hate last call if you want something American to hate on.

14. Quakes11

Quakes11 New Member

Aug 6, 2000
    There are a great number of factors that affect the MLS attendance, a baseball strike is just one that might slightly influence the attendence on a positive note.

On the other hand, sportscenter time would be freed up as would many time slots where baseball games had been previously played. Of course, ESPN seems more interested in showing the worlds strongest man competitions as MLS.

As for the debate on which sports is better, baseball is by far more popular in the states and soccer is by far more popular around the world... I find them both to be great games.

15. Mike T

Mike T Member

May 21, 2002
    Miami
    I'm pulling for a baseball strike no matter what... I've had it with those baseball player primadonas and their whining.

As far as the effect on soccer.

I won't say it will be a save-all. However, you guys are only kidding yourselves if you do not think that a baseball strike compiled with the negativeness of this years' All-Star game, and possible another W.Series cancelation...all within a few months apart of the greatest US result in the World Cup (in the modern era) and certainly the most publized "American" World Cup ever wouldn't have an impact on MLS. It most certainly beneficial to MLS. Certainly in cities such as Dallas, Boston, Los Angeles, Washington/Baltimore, NY/NJ, Denver and maybe even KC.

16. bukie2k

bukie2k Member

Mar 28, 2002
    New Jersey
    I'm sure there will be a slight to barely noticable rise in attendance and viewership. With a strike date of 9/16, it would occur during the beginning of the NFL and college football season and a few weeks prior to the NHL starting up. If any MLB fans who weren't already fans of MLS noticed the league playoffs I would be surprised. Another MLB work stoppage will probably result in some baseball fans looking for a new sport to follow, hopefully MLS can do something to attract and keep them as fans.

17. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    God, do we have to have this conversation again?

Explain to me how, given the absence of a sport people do like, they'll turn to a sport they don't like. At a time of year with many other, more attractive (to them) options.

18. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: MLB Strike and what it means to MLS

GAZZAMANIA!