MLB 2003 Post-Season [R]

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Thomas A Fina, Sep 30, 2003.

1. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    This is sad more than anything else. Karim Garcia didn't cover himself in glory in the top of the inning either. The rest of the country who doesn't have NY or Boston ties are Cub fans now, I'll tell you that much.

Also, Pedro has a right to defend himself, but he should have just brushed Zimmer off. Him and Manny may get tossed, Clemens SHOULD NOT.

2. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    Pathetic swing by Manny, the Sox tried to encite people and it looks like it's blown up in their faces.

3. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    As the world turns, great catch by Nixon to take a Pesky Special HR away from Jeter. Things seem to have calmed down a bit, for now. Pedro looks better this inning now that he's pissed off.

4. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What the hell was Don Zimmer thinking. That was pathetic. Pedro looked like he was bullfighting. It was sad what happened to Zimmer considering he's 90 years old, but Pedro had every right to defend himself, even if it was pathetically easy. Karim Garcia was an idiot for getting so mad. And Pedro was an idiot for that gesture to the Yankees dugout. Geez Louise this rivalry is intense.

5. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    There goes the Sox' chance of doing anything today.

6. SoccerFan8270

SoccerFan8270 New Member

Oct 7, 2003
    Pennsylvania
  7. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    Thanks for the picture and link.

What almost gets lost in all of this is a damn good ballgame is taking place. Time for Mo. Time for the bats to wake up? I ain't holding my breath.

8. DevilDave

DevilDave Member

West Bromwich Albion/RBNY/PSG/Gamba Osaka/Sac Republic
    United States
    Sep 29, 2001
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    West Bromwich Albion FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did anyone catch in that cutesy footage of Damon and his kidspregame at Fenway that he was wearing a Chicago Fire hat? I suddenly have a newfound respect for the dude for wearing soccer gear.

Uhhh... then again... :rolleyes:

9. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    I can only go from what I see and hear on Fox, but I have some newfound respect for the NY players who charged out to the bullpen to possibly protect the bullpen personnel, especially Posada. Thank goodness it was just one idiot fan. From an objective standpoint, Nelson et al had every right to pound the guy's head in if they got the chance.

This gets more and more bizarre by the minute.

10. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    A groundskeeper? This has gone past a freak show of a day.

11. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    Game over. NY in control of the series right now. It was a great game though. I really hope Little decides to throw Wake on three days rest tomorrow. I don't even trust Burkett if I was NY's starter. Kudos to Torre and Jeter for handling themselves in the post game interviews.

12. SoccerFan8270

SoccerFan8270 New Member

Oct 7, 2003
    Pennsylvania
    Final Result:
    Yankees-4
    Red Sox-3
    Yankees win! This was one odd game...

13. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Pedro is truly a disgusting human being. What a total a-hole. He took the joy out of this one for me.

And Manny is just a retard. My God. All year long he's gone out of his way to demonstrate his abject stupidity, but this takes the cake.

I can deal with losing, but I can't deal with deserving to lose. Pedro managed to turn the country into Yankees fans for the series.

Depressing.

14. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    Ben you may be right about the fan thing for this series. Pedro does have the right to defend himself against anyone who charges him, but all he needed to do was put his arms out and say "Zim, cool it." Zimmer shouldn't have charged him though. I understand he's sensitive to getting hit up near the head, as he should be, but he really should have stayed out of that incase it got real violent.

Interesting press conferences and interviews with Gammons after the game. Everyone's handling themselves well in the aftermath.

Time to get back to baseball. Awesome game by Clemens, I'll give him that. How's Dontrell doing so far against the Cubbies.

15. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    I'm disgusted with Pedro not just for the Zimmer thingie (thank God he got up...), but for all the crap he did before that. Pedro has no class.

I'm just glad the game is over.

16. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    Tomorrow's game is not one that works in the Sox favor on paper. This postseason has been stranger than fiction though.

Cubs are well on their way to doing their part to make a dream series. 8-2 in the seventh. They should wrap this up tomorrow.

17. JayJay

JayJay Member

Jan 21, 2000
    Brew City
    Pedro shouldn't have made the gesture towards the Yankee dugout, I agree with that. However, he has every right to protect himself. Zimmer came at him. 72 yrs old or not, he came at him, and Pedro protected himself. He didn't take a swing at him, he shoved him to the ground, and being that he was 72 probably made it easier then Pedro was maybe expecting. As far as ejections - who do you eject? Both benches cleared. Other then the Pedro/Zimmer thing, nothing but talk. No reason to eject anybody.

As for the groundskeeper, here is an update: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs2003/news/story?id=1636123

18. revsrock

revsrock Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    Boston Ma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree Pedro shouldnt hve thrown at Garcia, but what the hell was Garcia thinking going into 2nd base his slide was an INTENT to injure, I hope he and Neslon get arrested an charged them with assult and battery for that *#*#*#*# they pulled in the bullpen. Also Zimmer is an idiot I am glad Pedro put that old tired ass into the ground, any man who charges another man with intent to hit them they get what they deserve. No matter what if they are 18 or 80 to me.

19. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    Early indications are they will be charged. From what they showed us on TV it looked like the employee jumped into the NY bullpen and then a fight ensued. Admitting that the article and the TV shots are all I have to go on, the Yankee players (likely including Garcia) who ran out there had no idea what was going on besides at least one teammate was in some sort of situation. We'll all find out a lot more by early tomorrow.

20. JayJay

JayJay Member

Jan 21, 2000
    Brew City
    ditto

21. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    I third this. Every time I see that replay I become more and more like WTF. If Walker had just gotten rid of the ball a split second earlier it would have been one thing. But come on, Garcia was about 20 feet away from second when the ball was released.

22. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    I don't know which angles you guys saw during the Zimmer/Martinez incident, but Zimmer came at Pedro with a left arm aimed squarely at his head, and Pedro simply redirected him down to the ground. Martinez looked more guilty of impulsive self-defense than any sort of vicious activity.

Yahoo is now saying that the groundskeeper was staying in the Yanks bullpen and cheering when the two pitchers asked him to go into the Sox bullpen if he was going to cheer for them, and that they pretty much attacked him. They're saying he had cleet marks on his back and arm and was possibly kicked in the face. The Yanks front office has said that it's a security f#*k up to be blamed on the Sox, and the Sox are attacking the two pitchers involved.

Regardless of all that, it was a great game and I can hardly wait for tomorrow.

23. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I am not a Yankees fan, I am a Phillies fan. But I am pulling for the Yank's like crazy in this series. Today only helped that along. Boston showed no class today at all. People kept on saying the presure was on the Yanks and that the Yanks might feel the pressure more, but the Sox have completely lost their minds. They tried to intimidate the Yanks, but the Yanks have seen everything. They won't back down. I hope this series is over in 5 and the Yanks then sweep the cubs.

24. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    I'll give Clemens props today for showing a tremendous amount of class and composure, but it'll take more than just this incident to get over the fact that this is ROGER CLEMENS we are dealing with and he is one of the most class-less individuals out there. And the facts are just now getting out on the bullpen incident and it's starting to look like it's the Yankee's backup's that are to blame for this.

25. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I don't think we will know at all what the bullpen incident was really about till after this series.

And, I'll be honest, right now I am drunk otherwise I could make a more coherent argument about why I hate Boston. Maybe tomorrow. It just takes a lot to be outclassed by one of the most classless players to play the game.