MK resignation official and the cirkus continues

Discussion in 'Iran' started by teammellieIRANfan, Apr 21, 2009.

1. teammellieIRANfan

Feb 28, 2009
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Ajjt guys, its official since most news agencies have reported it. Mehr, Isna etc
    I think they are now considering the old candidates, Ghotbi and Ghalenoi. I dont really know the other candidates who were on the list. But feel free to post their names. And what would be the best possible move for IFF to do at this stage? and that begs the question: What would be the PROBABLE move by them? lol

2. Mehr

Mehr New Member

Mar 14, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Honestly I'm glad he is gone. He should have never been hired in the first place.

We need a foreign coach. Someone who is tactically very good. Or perhaps a South American.

3. teammellieIRANfan

Feb 28, 2009
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I honestly can't say that a foreign coach would be the best solution, considering the time we have left. Maybe after the qualifications though.
    Most foreign coaches needs time to adjust, to know what kind of players there is and other things.
    Imo Ghotbi seems like an acceptable solution.
    Dont kill me now, but I actually wouldn't mind Daei coming back and finish the campaign and what he started. Well if it wasn't for all the hostility surrounding him right now.
    I've heard they will announce the new coach this coming sunday.

4. V.I.P.ersian

V.I.P.ersian Member

Nov 9, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    It is certainly not too late to hire a foreign coach.

A good, seasoned coach of true quality does not need more than 1 month to help his new team. He would understand the situation and not bother to add more than 1 or 2 players to the current roster. He would wisely hire an Iranian assistant or two, review our latest national team games, and inject his magic into our current roster. A world-class coach is certainly capable of taking our roster and making it perform better than Daei, Ghalenoei, or Branko ever did.

The problem, of course, is that such a coach will not coach Iran. The IFF is not willing to search and pay for a top-class foreign coach, and it's highly unlikely that such a coach would agree to live in Iran, given the alternatives.

We could settle for a decent foreign coach, like Saudi Arabia did, and hope for the best. The IFF, however, has repeatedly made it clear that it wants an Iranian in charge of the national team. It's clear that they rate a domestic coach higher than a mediocre foreign coach (which one could agree, of course). It all depends on the particular coaches in consideration, in my opinion.

I am vehemently opposed to hiring a foreign coach simply because he's foreign. I do, however, think we need a quality foreign coach to take Iranian football to the next level. Timing is not our issue here; the IFF is.

I'd say the most likely candidates to take over are: Ghalenoei, Daei, Ebrahimzadeh, Yavari, and Ghotbi.

5. !Bob

!Bob Member

Apr 28, 2005
    UK
    This is a disaster. No one seems to realise that there are no better candidates, it will take another month of uncertainty and it'll all start from scratch again. So Iran was screwed, and now even more so!!

6. teammellieIRANfan

Feb 28, 2009
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Well, whether or not the time is enough to hire a foreign coach is a matter of ones opinion of course. In my own opinion, if taken in consideration how long it takes IFF to make these vital decisions, and the time it takes to reach some kind of contract or agreement, then NO, i wouldn't say the best option would be a foreign manager.
    I think we are in agreement on this really. I mean, if Hiddink or someone in his caliber would go to Iran today and guaranteed sign a contract, I wouldn't exactly oppose.
    I initially said that a foreign coach wouldn't be the best solution considering the time frame. What I really meant and should have said instead: I don't think there's enough time to consider a foreign head coach given the state of the IFF and its organisation. Plus the time it takes to get to know the players and come up with some kind of plan/tactic.
    Hiring of a foreign coach also includes some risks. It's like you said, maybe he wouldn't like so called organisation and all the political bullshit that follows with being the manager for team melli. In this case, I simply think that it would be too risky at this stage.:eek:

I don't think the reappointment of Daei is that likely, given his recent results and the hostility surrounding him right now.
    Imo some of those other persons you mentioned will be hired.
    Who would you opt for?:)

7. dash_dash

dash_dash New Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Who would want to be the captain of a sinking ship? Whoever accepts the job knows that would mean disaster for their coaching career.

MK probably realized he was chosen to be the scape-goat, and decided to leave with his his future (albeit grim) career as little scraped as possible.

Iranians must realize the truth: we have a horrible management. Until the root of the problem is addresses, there will be no honorable soccer team. If Iran wants a real soccer team, it needs to have long-term goals.

2010 is gone. Even if by some outrageous turn of events we get in, it only means the other Asian teams are super shitty. No pride in that. We'll get rolled as we were in 2006.

We need to invest in the future. Our future soccer players, that is 8-12 years from now, are 10-12 y.o. We need a better system to train and recognize talent, and provide them with talented coaches and furnished stadiums for the Iranian kids to develop their talent.

We need to lure top foreign coaches in order to inject new knowledge and creativity. Using Iranian coaches is of no use; they employ the same old techniques. We need to diversify our pool of knowledge.

This coach would need to have long term goals. You can't train a team in a matter of weeks or months! Team Melli did not lose when we lost against SA; that was merely the symptom of a losing cycle started long time ago due to lack of planning by the IFF.

8. teammellieIRANfan

Feb 28, 2009
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Well agree with you 1000 %!
    But the fact is, we do have 3 matches remaining here. It's not like we should forget this campaign and focus on the future, and do all those things you said. Sorry but it aint ever gonna happen, unless there is a radical change within the whole frikkin country. Our moment to do something is not in 10 years or even one year, but NOW. The long-term with all the top foreign coaches plan may sound very logical and the best thing to do, but it will not happen my friend, with this organisation and the regime's state.

That's why I wouldn't waste any energy on thinking about goals way in the future. And this is why I'm a little confused when some people are thinking: "Let's forget this WC and focus on AC2011 or the next WC qualifiers".
    What's going to change? I'm not necessarily saying you are on of those people. My point is, if we would always think like, this and that is over, and focus on the next big thing, we would constantly be dissapointed, given our expectations on our team melli. (although we are almost always dissapointed lol)
    Right now we need a short term solution. That's just the way it is Iran unfortunateley.:( The hiring AND firing of Ali Daei is a clear indication of that

9. teammellieIRANfan

Feb 28, 2009
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Mehr news, Irna, Irib have all reported that Afhsin Ghotbi have been appointed as head coach for Iran!
    What do you guys think of this decision? I think it was acceptable, considering the options. I just hope this sticks, and that ghotbi realises what he's getting himself into, and the huge task ahead of him.
    Damn, what a rollercoaster:D

10. V.I.P.ersian

V.I.P.ersian Member

Nov 9, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    In my opinion, this was the absolute best choice we could make at this point in time.

Ghotbi offers a nice blend of domestic and foreign experience. In all fairness, he really is a "foreign" coach given the fact that he received all his training outside Iran. He led Perspolis to the national title, and he has an impressive resume working for the likes of Guus Hiddink and Dick Advocaat. I think the fact that Hiddink trusted him as the technical analyst of the team shows his true worth. He doesn't have much experience as a head coach, but hopefully the experience he does have will suffice.

He knows our players, he knows our culture, and I'm quite sure he's seen our most recent matches. I do, however, think many are exaggerating the advantage he'll give us against the Koreans. I'm sure his knowledge will help us, but it remains to be seen how much.

In any case, I highly doubt he would have accepted the position if he didn't truly think he could steer us to South Africa. Let's hope for the best!

11. Mehr

Mehr New Member

Mar 14, 2002
    Los Angeles
    This sounds good. Finally a good decision by the IFF.

Hiddink is possibly the best in the world. THe fact that he worked with him is a massive massive plus.

Maybe there is hope after all.

Any word on karimi coming back? I would think he would.

Also Mobali and Zandi need to be called up.

12. V.I.P.ersian

V.I.P.ersian Member

Nov 9, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I am 99.99% sure Karimi will be invited for the N.Korea match, and deservedly so.

I am also quite sure that Zandi will be invited. There's no reason to think otherwise, really, given his fantastic form.

An invitation for Mobali, however, is hardly a necessity. We have more than enough midfielders.

Please, if anyone has any information on Mobali's football over the past few months, please share. I have searched the internet and can't find a single bit of news regarding Mobali. Clearly, he's not making headlines, even in a league like the UAE's...

I think we must consider the possibility that Bagheri will be invited again. Ghotbi has experience with Bagheri at Perspolis, and he may ultimately choose to include him...

13. teammellieIRANfan

Feb 28, 2009
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Karimi is 100 % in, thank god! Iran is in a tough spot now, and if I would name one person who's motivation i think is sky high, well that player would be Ali Karimi. Considering all that's happened. He's out of his injury and he's been outstanding for PP. So his come back to tm will certainly be welcome, but shouldn't be overrated as I think all players will have to be at their VERY BEST if we're to come out of this hole we've made for ourselves.

As you mentioned, bagheris return is likely, since he's expressed desire to come back. And also possibly because he worked with ghotbi.
    I'm a little torn about Bagheri. You could say I'm both for but also a little against him coming back. While I think his experience and leadership could be beneficial for team melli (also especially now that neko is gone for nk game), I must say I'm a little terrified of him actually playing. He hasn't been all that convincing in the campaign and have been a liability in some situations.

What do you all think? Should he be invited? and if so should he play?

Imo I think the best role Karim Bagheri could play is to be there amongst the players as a "motivational factor", and just MAYBE be used as a substitution, depending on the state of the game and the player in his role.

About Zandi: Does he have a place in the starting eleven? I mean, just look at what players we have in midfield! Karimi, khalatbari, madanchi, shojeai (could be used as a striker though).
    But he definately should be invited, no doubt about that. One could certainly aruge his defensive skills and experience weighs a lot in this crucial game.
    What do you think

14. V.I.P.ersian

V.I.P.ersian Member

Nov 9, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I think Bagheri can definitely still be useful, but only as a substitute. His experience and game-smarts are unparalleled, so he can certainly enter a game late and make a great impact.

I think Zandi can be included in the starting 11, but I don't know what Ghotbi has in mind. As you said, we have many worthy midfielders, and it seems unwise to sacrifice Karimi, Khalatbari, or Shojaei (although I think Masoud will primarily play as a forward from now on...). I also think Madanchi is worthy of being a starter, especially since he's the best option we have for LW. Khalatbari should play in the center of the field where he's most effective, but this can be problematic since both Karimi and Zandi play best at CM. Khalatbari could then play as a forward along with Shojaei, but that's somewhat unsettling because neither player is a natural striker.

It will be interesting to see what Ghotbi has in mind!

15. hilalfreak-redded

Jan 17, 2009
    Club:
    Al Hilal Riyadh
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    trust me. you are finished.

16. V.I.P.ersian

V.I.P.ersian Member

Nov 9, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    That's quite an impressive analysis. Thanks for your input.

17. teammellieIRANfan

Feb 28, 2009
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    We'll just have to wait and see wont wee? We can certainly still reach the play-offs (even direct qualification);)
    This campaign is not over yet!