Mizuno Thread [9] - info, pictures, questions here.

Discussion in 'Soccer Boots' started by appleCORR7, May 9, 2014.

1. wins93

wins93 New Member

May 10, 2014
    Singapore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    i've been using my MIJ neos for a few years now and i'm looking to get a new pair of mizunos but i'm not quite sure to get the morelia II, rebula3 or go with the neo 2. Can anyone share how the different stud patterns feel and put an end to my dilemma! Thank you.

2. mbonness

mbonness Member

Mar 5, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #4102 mbonness, Jul 14, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
    Here are some photos of the Morelia Neo 2 MIJ's and the Rebula 3's outsoles, side-by-side.

I've been wearing Neo 2 MIJs with the firm ground outsole on predominantly artificial grass for years now for (only moderately competitive) adult leagues. The outsole is pretty traditional, of course, and safe on AG, in my experience. I've long been concerned about the potential to tear-up a knee or ankle on AG surfaces wearing aggressive studs or stud patterns. So I won't wear aggressive bladed studs or even overly-long molded studs on AG. For instance, I would't touch those Mercurial-style chevron studs on AG. And I even feel like a lot of adidas' studs -- even their conical molded studs -- are marginally longer than Nike's, Puma's, and Mizuno's, so I haven't worn adidas in years.

Anyway, I just got a pair of Rebula 3 MIJ (and a pair Rebula 3 Elite, for comparison, see my post above and see my photos and notes here). I haven't even played in them yet; just worn them around inside, on carpet. But I can say a few things about the Rebula 3's outsole (MIJ and Elite are identical), comparing it to the Neo 2 MIJ's:
    • Although the Rebula's studs and stud pattern look more modern and aggressive, I don't think there's gonna be that much difference.
    • Although it's hard to measure, given the hump running down the back half of the middle of the Rebula's outsole, the Neo's back studs are either the same length or ever so slightly longer.
    • However, most of the Rebula's front studs are slightly longer than the Neo's.
    • Also, the Rebula's studs are very sharp-edged, out of the box, whereas I don't remember the Neo's studs being like that. --But with a little wear, the edges of the Rebula's studs will surely round-off too.
    • The Rebula does have the Mercurial-style toe spike, so I guess that's a little more aggressive; but I have my doubts about whether those actually do anything for most people.
    • The biggest difference I've noticed, though, is stud pressure from the third (full-size) stud on the medial (inside) side of the Rebula 3. The pressure is probably, at least, partially due to the fact that the Rebula 3's outsole has only three (full-size) front studs on the medial side, whereas the Neo 2 MIJ's outsole has four front studs on the medial side, to better distribute the weight from the ball of your foot. Notably, the Rebula 3 MIJ contains an additional inner plate base-plate, versus the Rebule 3 Elite, that reduces this pressure a good deal. See my photos here.
    Long story 'short: despite the Rebula 3 outsole's looks, I suspect it's gonna feel fairly traditional. Although that third stud's pressure is notable in the Rebula (moreso in the Rebula 3 Elite, than in the Rebula 3 MIJ). I'll have a chance to play in them later today or later this week. I'll follow-up with my experience if I notice anything else.

Attached Files:

jayc23, wins93, john_mizuno8 and 2 others repped this.
  3. derbyyank13

derbyyank13 Member+

Nov 8, 2008
    Niigata, Japan
    Club:
    Derby County FC
    Yeah Wave Cup or Rebula 3. If you want more lockdown, get the Rebula

jayc23 repped this.
  4. mbonness

mbonness Member

Mar 5, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Got a chance to play in the Rebula 3 MIJs this afternoon, and my impression is pretty positive. The toe box is a good deal larger than the Morelia Neo 2 MIJ's. I've always worn my shoes tight, at least a half-size down from my street shoes, and even after I broke-in my Neos, they've remained pretty tight, squeezing against both the sides of my forefoot and the front of my toes. The Rebula 3, in the same size, doesn't do that. I don't think I'd go down another half-size because, then the Rebula 3 might be too tight against the end of my big toe. But there's definitely more space, side-to-side, in the Rebula's toebox, and more "height."

I'm also not sure that I experienced the same lateral lock-down and support in the Rebula 3 that I get from the Neo 2. The Neo 2's sides are made from that leather-looking synthetic, which has some give, but is still pretty strong. Whereas the Rebula 3 MIJ's sides are mostly kangaroo leather, so, naturally, there's more give. (Makes me wonder if the Rebula 3 Elite might be a good compromise, since it's constructed more like the Neo 2, with synthetic side panels.)

I do think the Rebula 3's outsole offers greater traction than the Neo 2. It was still fine for AG. (Not too much, that is.) But I did feel it stick in the AG just a little bit more when I was changing direction. --Both for better and for worse.

All that said, the Rebula 3 MIJ is definitely more comfortable than the Neo 2 MIJ. (And the Neo 2 is pretty good to begin with.) That's largely because the leather quality is markedly better and softer. And the overall shape of the shoe is less narrow and more forgiving.

danny chan, wins93, john_mizuno8 and 3 others repped this.
  5. audioblueprint

audioblueprint New Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Jul 10, 2019
    Thanks for the response-- sounds like I need to stay away from the AG soleplate. Thats really surprising to me. I would never expect quality issues from Mizuno.

6. wins93

wins93 New Member

May 10, 2014
    Singapore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Thanks for enlightening me!!! I'll probably try something new so it is gonna be the Morelia 2 or Rebula.

mbonness and sscholz700 repped this.
  7. derbyyank13

derbyyank13 Member+

Nov 8, 2008
    Niigata, Japan
    Club:
    Derby County FC
    Finally had a nice here to take a picture of my Rebula 3s. I think they're gonna be brilliant given the playtime I've had in them so far. Bloody gorgeous colourway too! DSC_3571.JPG DSC_3593.JPG DSC_3602.JPG DSC_3612.JPG DSC_3614.JPG

8. kiongsm

kiongsm Member+

Nov 25, 2004
    Malaysia
    Hmmmm, maybe the blue-white ones next for me des;)

derbyyank13 repped this.
  9. audioblueprint

audioblueprint New Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Jul 10, 2019
    jayc23 and derbyyank13 repped this.
  10. derbyyank13

derbyyank13 Member+

Nov 8, 2008
    Niigata, Japan
    Club:
    Derby County FC
    The tongue is thinner than the leather but no issues at all. Maybe its because of the Wave Lacing system that I don't really feel any pressure from the laces

jayc23 repped this.
  11. kiongsm

kiongsm Member+

Nov 25, 2004
    Malaysia
    Same with neo 2 JP, very thin tongue but hardly feel any pressure from the laces (btw I used asics power-led laces)

12. newone88

newone88 Member

May 2, 2006
    San Francisco
    new colorway?
    upload_2019-7-19_9-12-13.png

derbyyank13 repped this.
  13. derbyyank13

derbyyank13 Member+

Nov 8, 2008
    Niigata, Japan
    Club:
    Derby County FC
    newone88 repped this.
  14. asianboy

asianboy Member

Apr 24, 2013
    Canada
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Kinda funny because Koreans won't be buying much Japanese goods lately because of the trade war between the two countries

jayc23, derbyyank13 and newone88 repped this.
  15. derbyyank13

derbyyank13 Member+

Nov 8, 2008
    Niigata, Japan
    Club:
    Derby County FC
    Bunch of idiots in charge in trade in Japan.
    Scratch that, the LDP is full of idiots.

16. mbonness

mbonness Member

Mar 5, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #4116 mbonness, Jul 23, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
    Some final thoughts on the Rebula 3 MIJs and Elites:

I decided to return the MIJs. (Soccer.com has a 30-day, no-restrictions return policy.) As nice as they are, the toebox just isn’t right for me. They leave a little too much space around my toes, which make me feel like I’m sliding around a bit. I still have the Rebula 3 Elites to try. I haven’t worn those outside yet. But I’m not sure if I will, because I bought those on EBay (can’t just return them to Soccer.com), and if I end up not liking them, I’ll have a barely used pair of $200+ shoes to try to sell on EBay.

I'm torn about the Elites. On the one hand, the leather upper clearly isn't as nice as the MIJ's upper. The Elites' leather upper is thicker (probably a little thicker than the upper on the Neo 2 MIJ.), covers less of the shoe, and is an odd shade of light grey that doesn't exactly match the white, synthetic part. It's soft, but not nearly as cushy and pliable as the MIJ's. The Elites' leather upper also lacks the super premium, perforated (synthetic) suede interior lining that the MIJ has; not that that makes any big difference, I suppose. And the Elite also lacks the half-length, interior, forefoot baseplate that the MIJ has. And, as a result, you can feel the stud pressure more in the Elites.

All that said, I like the looks of the Elites a little better, with more light grey/white than blue and the Mizuno logo on the midfoot, rather than on the forefoot. And the Elites' toebox shape is different, which works better for my foot: it's a little tighter and lower, whereas the MIJ's is relatively roomy and a little domed.

I also find that the Elites are more snug around my ankles. They just lace-up a little differently than the MIJs. Even though I can't see any difference in the way that the lacing systems or ankle collars are constructed. But somehow the MIJ's ankle collar kind of gapped around my ankle when I flexed my foot forward; whereas the Elites' ankle collar didn't do that.

But ... my gut feeling is that I might re-sell the Elites before wearing them outside. --Because, as nice as they are, they cost me over $200. And yet the leather portion of the upper isn't quite as nice as I would expect for that kind of money.

Other shoes I might consider are the Puma King Pro and King Pro Platinum, especially if they're built on Puma's "AptoLast." (It's not clear to me if they are.) The AptoLast toebox shape looks a little odd -- it's asymmetrical, rather than the typical symmetrical rounded or pointed toebox -- but I find it to be extremely natural and fitted around my toes, without smashing them. Although the studs on the Pro Platinum do look pretty long, which concerns me some for AG.

And I'll probably try on the new Nike Tiempo Legend VIII, even though the reviews all say the leather is so-so and the shoe is bulked-up with too many layers of material. I've also been searching Ebay for a good pair of Tiempo Legend IV (2012), which are one of my favorite shoes ever.

Attached Files:

john_mizuno8, danny chan and Lepari repped this.
  17. danny chan

danny chan New Member

Jul 5, 2019
    looks killer! the rebula 3 elite in the same colourway just landed in australia and i was so tempted to cop a pair. until i found the original rebula v1 mii on clearance for half the price.

any idea how do they compare?

derbyyank13 repped this.
  18. derbyyank13

derbyyank13 Member+

Nov 8, 2008
    Niigata, Japan
    Club:
    Derby County FC
    Well as a rule the MiI Rebulas are not a nice as the MiJ models. The leather quality, fit and overall quality are a lot better on the MiJ models.
    The Rebula 3 is also by far the best Rebula model that's been released. I have played in them too much yet but these might actually become one of my favourite leather models of all time!

19. danny chan

danny chan New Member

Jul 5, 2019
    sadly, the black colourway rebula 3 is only available for the mii elite version here hence the comparison with the mii rebula v1.

20. Nejc Perko

Nejc Perko New Member

NK Vransko
    Slovenia
    Jul 20, 2019
    Lepari repped this.
  21. Lepari

Lepari Member

Jul 11, 2015
    No experince, but soon I will have thanks to you. We're in this together now, I chose the MiJ Rebula 3. But it should be totally legit place with authentic shoes, when I visited Berlin I saw their store and I've heard of the company before.

Thanks for the heads up, I would have missed this :)

Nejc Perko repped this.
  22. Nejc Perko

Nejc Perko New Member

NK Vransko
    Slovenia
    Jul 20, 2019
    Glad I could help :)
    I think it will be fine to, I was just a bit worried, because maybe it seemed to good to be true :D

Hope your Rebulas will be as great as my Legends then!

23. Lepari

Lepari Member

Jul 11, 2015
    67094447_144984026608522_870280351450569361_n.jpg 66655237_150114696102807_8393046391581745407_n.jpg 66656845_1054722001398348_1694387020199109304_n.jpg

I guess these are the upcoming mesh Neos. Cool to see Mizuno trying new stuff, although I can't see myself buying this model. I like the artificial leather of regular Neos and they are light enough for me.

And I guess the credit from the photos goes to Volkyfootball.

24. kiongsm

kiongsm Member+

Nov 25, 2004
    Malaysia
    yeah, I'll pass too.....sometimes too lightweight can be risky.....btw, it's called the Neo Beta......it's single stitch, might as well go stitch-less like rebula....

derbyyank13 repped this.
  25. 23ninety

23ninety Member

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 14, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    11team are absolutely fine I have ordered from them many times!