Missouri Proposes Two Bills to Increase Penalties for Referee Assault

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Sport Billy, Feb 5, 2020.

1. Pat Chewning

Pat Chewning Member

Dec 22, 2011
    Beaverton Oregon
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Special victims? I don't like the idea of special victims. If anyone in my family were to be a victim of assault, I sure wouldn't want them to get less justice just because they were not a referee.

2. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    #3 Sport Billy, Feb 6, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
    Wow. What about a cop? Should assaulting a cop have larger repercussions than assaulting a civilian?
    A firefighter?
    An EMS worker?
    A teacher?
    A transportation worker directing traffic?

3. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #4 GoDawgsGo, Feb 6, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
    There is no right or wrong answer. If you're going to debate then do so intelligently with a coherent argument.

Or, just say "Wow."

Can't say I disagree much. The problem isn't so much the law as it is the bogged down judicial system in so many jurisdictions around this country where everything gets plead down to almost nothing, especially for those with no criminal background. Both battery and assault laws vary quite a bit from state to state as well.

Getting justice for referee battery or assault cases requires a lot of pressure from the referee, their family, and even the referee association making a huge stink, showing up en masse to hearings, etc.

4. Mirepo

Mirepo Member

Nov 3, 2016
    It's not about being special as you frame it, it's recognizing there are specific groups of people, who due to the nature of their professions, are in inherently riskier positions to be assaulted, abused, etc. The punishments for committing a crime against these people should be stronger, otherwise no one will do these jobs and then we all suffer.

dadman, Sport Billy and Pelican86 repped this.
  5. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Thus my question to him.
    Either he feels no one is worthy of this additional protection.
    or
    He accepts that some occupations are worthy of this, but not referees.

I was wondering which it is.

But as you say, it has little to do with the victim being special rather, it is the risk involved. I'd add to that that most of the professions that have this increased punishment for assault are professions that are almost defenseless.

Neither a DOT worker nor a referee will be carrying any type of protective device. Their area to flee is usually limited. Also, they are easily out-numbered.

6. Pat Chewning

Pat Chewning Member

Dec 22, 2011
    Beaverton Oregon
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    #7 Pat Chewning, Feb 7, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2020

I didn't frame the referees as being "special", the original post used those words.

Being more likely to be assaulted is not a justification for more justice than being less likely to be assaulted. I would argue just the opposite. I'd rather that assault on elderly and young children should receive higher punishment than referees, police, and other "special" victims.... That's one argument.

But my original point is that there should be no special victims. I'm sure the friends and family of all victims feel that there is nobody more special. Including cops, referees, politicians, teachers, firemen, DOT workers ........ Where does the list of "special" people stop?

7. akindc

akindc Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    Washington, DC
    You're missing the point. It's not about justice, it's about prevention.
    Having higher punishments against people that are more likely to be assaulted prevents the assaults.

8. Pat Chewning

Pat Chewning Member

Dec 22, 2011
    Beaverton Oregon
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    No, you are missing the point. Why on earth would you NOT want to prevent assaults against all people, including the elderly and young children?

By creating a "special" class of victims who are more protected against assault, you are creating another class of "less special" victims who are less protected.

Some of the most likely people to be assaulted are jerk drivers and people who owe money to loan sharks. Shall we include them in the "special victim" class?

Soccer Dad & Ref repped this.
  9. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Does it? Do the people likely to assault a referee know bout the law?

10. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    The second one will because the first will make headlines.

akindc repped this.
  11. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    I think you overestimate the amount people pay attention.

12. chwmy

chwmy Member+

Feb 27, 2010
    Well, when a player shoves a ref during a game, do you not believe he should be sent off? why is that different from when a player shoves an opponent?

Our authority by its nature creates antagonism. As we have all experienced, when there is no teeth behind sanction, our authority is degraded, and our risk rises. I am in favor of pretty much anything that enhances the absolute nature of that authority.

that having been said, I didn’t read the bill but there’s no reason we should be treated specially when not in our official capacity, or at least If the motive of an assault is not related to our actions as referees.

13. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006

The bills amend the definition of “special victims” to include:

In MO, assault is as follows:

If it is a special victim, it moves from Class B felony to Class A felony

If it is a special victim, it moves from Class D felony to Class B felony

If it is a special victim, it moves from Class E felony to Class D felony

If special victim, it becomes a Class A Misdemeanor

dadman repped this.
  14. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    It looks as most referee assaults would fall under "Third degree"
    The bump from E to D means a possible 4 years to a possible 7 years

Both include fines unto $10,000

15. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The death penalty does such a great job at preventing premeditated homicide too.

IASocFan and Soccer Dad & Ref repped this.
  16. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    I disagree. They are still equally protecting ALL people from assault.
    You do action X and it results in a charge of Assault, Y Degree. Assailants are being charged with the same crime regardless of the nature of the victim. no victim is "more protected" and no victim is "less protected".

These bills are simply allowing judges to enhance sentencing in certain circumstances, that maybe not you, but most of society view as especially heinous.

akindc and dadman repped this.
  17. BrianD

BrianD Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Jun 29, 2018
    Beyond that, if a person has enough anger to assault a ref, do we really think they have the time or state of mind to process the possible consequences?

18. Kit

Kit Member+

Aug 30, 1999
    Herkimer, NY, USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When I read that referees who are assaulted will be "special victims," this is what went through my head:

"In the criminal justice system, assaults against sports officials are considered especially heinous. In Missouri, the dedicated detectives who investigate these crimes are members of an elite squad known as the Special Victims Unit. These are their stories."

tomek75, dadman, Pat Chewning and 4 others repped this.
  19. LampLighter

LampLighter Red Card

Bugeaters FC
    Apr 13, 2019
    I am grateful for added protections and I'm hoping it'll catch on and more states will adopt these changes. It only takes a few people getting seriously punished before people get to understand that you shouldn't touch referees.

akindc repped this.
  20. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd rather focus severe punishments for verbal abuse of youth referees. Obviously assaulting a minor would be dealt with seriously by the justice system, but I'd love to see more focus from SRCs and state associations about verbal/mental abuse towards youth refs.

LampLighter repped this.
  21. LampLighter

LampLighter Red Card

Bugeaters FC
    Apr 13, 2019
    This is also something we as referees can have more impact on. We could get together and make a push for it, and the SRCs are much more directly affected by our actions.