Miss Californication

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by VFish, May 6, 2009.

1. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    High profile homophobic, hatemongering, gay marriage opponent caught posing topless (photo safe for work).

2. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perez Hilton?

3. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HAHAHAHA!

Hopefully this thread is better than the one at Crew NSR

4. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    I feel sorry for her. She answered a question honestly and it cost her a judged competition. Why does it go beyond that? Leave the poor woman alone unless she pushes it along herself.

5. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No thanks. Her opinion sucks and she should be raked over the coals for it just like everyone who shares it.

6. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Based on the latest ballot proposition that would be most of the California voters.

7. PhillyQuakesFan

PhillyQuakesFan New Member

Jun 25, 2007
    Delaware County, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It should have never even been asked in the first place. Since when is a f**king beauty pageant a PC morality check??

8. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correct. And you.

9. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I take it you didn't click on the link. Trust me, it is good for a laugh.

10. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not working for me.

11. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    No bacon or topless women for you. It's getting worse by the day.

12. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She can say whatever she wants, but damn, I'm not hearing a thing.

13. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, those filters in Dubai are pretty serious.

You've seen this picture before. It's been posted on this forum. It's pretty funny, unless you have no sense of humor -- personally, I'm outraged that VFish would treat the subject of this photo with so little respect. :mad:

14. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are two opinions that should be valid on gay marriage, you are for it because you are gay and you want to get married or you couldn't give two sh!ts because you are not gay and it doesn't effect you.

Anything else is meddling where you don't belong.

Perez Hilton asked the question full knowing the answer would be controversial. He wins and we all have lost a few minutes of our lives we will never get back.

15. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    It's actually kind of funny.

16. PhillyQuakesFan

Jun 25, 2007
    Delaware County, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What you're forgetting is that there are a lot of benefits (tax breaks, etc.) that married couples get from the government.

Personally, I could care less. (Up to a point--I firmly believe it should be decided on a state-by-state basis and that it should be left up to either the legislatures of the states or to referendum, rather than dictated by judicial fiat. But what the actual outcome is in each state, I don't care.) But it's perfectly valid for someone to oppose their tax dollars being used for something they view as immoral, sinful, whatever.

17. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    how exactly would tax dollars being used to support something immoral or whatever if gay marriage was legal?

btw, fair or not, the moral component has always been a part of beauty pagents, right up there with the back-stabing and the cheating. remember, it's not just about physical beauty.

18. PhillyQuakesFan

Jun 25, 2007
    Delaware County, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Married couples get tax breaks from the federal government and from most states (hence, everyone else pays more to compensate).

Incidentally, this is a valid socio-economic argument against gay marriage as well as a moral one. The reason married couples get tax breaks is that they are more likely to have children, and thus contribute new citizens to the society, than single people are. Gay couples can't do this, so why should they get the tax break??

(And yes, I realize that on a superficial level this would also apply to elderly couples getting married, married couples where one or both parties are sterile, etc.--but it's still technically possible for a medical advance to be found to allow these people to reproduce. This is not possible with gay couples.)

19. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    I've been married too long to remember for sure, but my recollection is that there is no real tax benefit to being married. The serious deductions come from things like kids and mortgages. Many gay people will never have kids and many gay people already have kids. . . . some through adoption but I would guess the majority from guys who were married and fathers before dropping the bomb on their spouses.

In fact, I'm trying to remember for sure, but it seemed to me that when I was first married with no kids and no mortgage that we would have done slightly better from a fed income tax perspective if we stayed single. Maybe I'm wrong but that is my recollection. If that is the case, then check this one off of the "perfectly valid" list.

20. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so some people pay more in taxes (which are used for morally upright things) to compensate for married gay couples paying less - I guess that's your point.
    but that's still not the same as your tax dollars supporting something immoral.

21. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chris, I think you are correct.
    the real breaks come from dependents and breaks on mortgage interest and taxes, not from being married. most modern day tax programs actually analyze it for you and tell you whether or not you should file jointly or separately if you are married.

22. PhillyQuakesFan

Jun 25, 2007
    Delaware County, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure it varies on a case-by-case and especially on a state-by-state basis. But generally speaking, the average couple will pay less in taxes being married than single, all else being equal.

Huh?? It's exactly the same. If gay marriage is recognized by the state, then all the gay couples will get the same tax breaks straight married couples do, which means everyone will be paying more taxes.

Like I said, I personally could care less, other than that the federal government needs to keep their noses out of it. But it's intellectually dishonest to pretend there aren't perfectly valid arguments for each side.

23. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will there be medical advances made that will allow gay people to adopt?

:rolleyes:

24. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's called the marriage penalty -- if both spouses work, then a married couple will generally pay more in taxes on their combined income than if they stayed single and each paid individual taxes on their income. The marriage benefit comes when there is one income earner -- a single person pays more taxes on their income if they file as an individual than if they get married and the married couple files jointly but still have only the one income.

25. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it is not the same.
    you said that if gay marriage was legal, then some people would feel that their money is being used for immoral purposes.
    how could that be if all it means is that married gay couples pay less in taxes. even if some people end up paying more as a result (supposedly - and I'm not sure that can be proven), gay marriage in now way effects how the tax dollars are used.