MISL in Chicago [Announcement next Thursday at 11.30a]

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by Mad Header, Feb 25, 2004.

1. Mad Header

Mad Header Member

Mar 8, 2001
    Mt Prospect
    http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dssports/pro/252sd5.htm

By Tim Cronin
    Staff writer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    There will be a second soccer team in Chicago by the end of the year.
    The Major Indoor Soccer League will announce Friday that a group has bought an expansion franchise for Chicago, to begin play in the 2004-05 season. It would be the MISL's 10th team.

Few other details, including the identity of the ownership or where the team will play, are known. In the past, minor league teams in the area have played at the former Rosemont Horizon (now the Allstate Arena) or significantly smaller facilities.

Any team playing in the winter at either the United Center or at Allstate would be third in line for dates, at best. The United Center is co-owned by the Blackhawks and Bulls, and also hosts a large series of other events, including two ice shows and the Ringling Bros. circus. Allstate Arena, owned by the village of Rosemont, has the Wolves, DePaul men's basketball and the Rush from October into May, along with a stint by the circus and other attractions.

Alternative sites are the UIC Pavilion, which seats about 9,000 in a hockey configuration, or the Odeum in Villa Park, where the Sting played exhibition games in the past. It could seat about 4,000 in one arrangement.

This version of the MISL, at least one step below the outdoor Major League Soccer circuit in terms of player quality, uses the same name as the original MISL, which was a major league. That MISL competed for players with the North American Soccer League in the late 1970s and early 1980s.

Several of the teams in the current MISL play in the same cities and use the same names as original MISL teams. The nine existing teams represent Baltimore, Philadelphia, Cleveland, Milwaukee, Kansas City, St. Louis, Dallas, San Diego and Monterrey, Mexico.

Minor-league soccer teams have tried to make a go of it in Chicago before. Peter Wilt, general manager of the Fire, built the Power into a National Professional Soccer League title team in 1990, but it eventually folded from lack of interest.

The announcement of the new team will be made Friday at the MISL's All-Star weekend in St. Charles, Mo., a suburb of St. Louis.

2. Stevedm

Stevedm Red Card

Jan 19, 2000
    Chicago
    Excellent. Gives me someone to cheer for in CHicago when the Fire are out of town!!! It was a great time when the POwer and the Sting used to play indoors.

3. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    Though I'm sure it won't be, it'd be nice to have the team named the Fire and have it be at least a cooperative agreement between the two teams.

I don't care much for indoor soccer but it'd be nice in the offseason.

I'd bet even there's a longshot chance they could play in the UC if the NHL does not play next season. It'd probably be better for them at UIC though.

4. Mad Header

Mad Header Member

Mar 8, 2001
    Mt Prospect
    I DO care for indoor soccer, in fact I like it a lot, but I'm not sure naming this MISL team the "Fire" and having a cooperative agreement between the two is really in the Fire's best interest. The MISL as it exists today is decidedly minor-league, even though it is the only indoor league in existance. I guess I could see your scenario if it were considered an agreement roughly akin to an agreement with an A-League (or lower division) club. We old-timers, though, remember that in the early 80's, the popularity of indoor soccer actually eclipsed that of outdoor, to the detriment of the NASL. That is very unlikely to ever happen again, and I know the NASL failed for many reasons not connected to the rise of indoor, still there is that connection, at least to me.

Re: Venue. One would think the Pavillion would be a good location, but unless they can figure out a way to sell beer in that place, I'm hoping that's not their choice. Again, long memories, but that was a depressing place to be in the dying days of the Chicago Power.

In any case, I am looking forward to seeing indoor in Chicago next fall if it indeed comes to be!

5. Stevedm

Stevedm Red Card

Jan 19, 2000
    Chicago
    I agree with you 100% it would be excellent for them to work together. Ensure a greater chance of success. Although PW was GM of the Milwaukee Wave and the Power in the 80's and 90's in indoor. Peter may be just the guy innnovative and smart enough to get it done!

6. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    As I said in the previous thread it can only be in the best interests of the state of the professional game in this city and the value of the Fire club name to have them cooperate.

So that Chicago Fire means soccer in Chicago, with the PDL team, youth club, youth academy, any future reserve/development team, the MISL team, and the MLS team. The Wave are doing it in Milwaukee albeit on a smaller scale...with big league influence and an exisiting track record I think we could only go them one better.

And it makes a good auxillary piece to the MLS season as it runs during the winter. You could eventually sell club memberships that include all the big events and season tickets to both the MLS and MISL teams and all the ancillary events, including AEG/SUM promoted soccer and music events in Chicago.

I detailed this in the other thread too. I'm sure whoever the investor is will name it the Wind or the Power or maybe even the Sting, but it's in everyone's best interest if they work hand in hand with the big boy in town.

7. This MISL team is being spearheaded by Frank Klopas and Rudy (last name escapes me).

8. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    Rudy Glenn?

9. krolpolski

krolpolski Member+

Glen?

Oh the fun we used to have at Sting indoor games. Climbing the stairs of the old Stadium. Ripping up the crappy posters that we got as give aways and then showering the TV half-time commentators with the home-made confetti.

And the action on the field was good, too. :)

10. Mad Header

Mad Header Member

Mar 8, 2001
    Mt Prospect
    To this day, I've never had as much fun at a sporting event as I did at those Sting games. Of course, a lot of it was that I was in my early 20's, and it was a drinkfest for my friends and me. Still, I think there was a certain vibe at those games that they've never been able to duplicate. I think part of the charm was the cast of characters on those teams, good players from all over the world, and all easily identifiable at a glance. The post-game parties were awesome, all players attended and mingled with the fans.

Some time back I had heard that Frankie's partner in this venture was another former player, Viktor Jakovljevic. I think Rudy Glenn was on the field this past summer when Willy and Karl-Heinz were honored, so he may be interested in getting involved in professional soccer again. I hope we'll find out some more details today as promised.

11. How about Prospect Heights? PH is planning to build an 8,000 seat indoor arena next year.

12. Mad Header

Mad Header Member

Mar 8, 2001
    Mt Prospect
    That arena has been promised for years and they've never been able to get the financing together. I doubt it, unless something has changed in the last month that I didn't hear about. Having said that, this would be my ideal scenario, as that arena would be walking distance from my house!

13. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Prospect heights arena won't be ready for a couple years at the earliest.They may play there eventually if it actually does get built.

14. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    Rudy Glenn's been involved in soccer for a long time. He was a coach of mine when I was playing competitively.

15. Mad Header

Mad Header Member

Mar 8, 2001
    Mt Prospect
    OK, I edited my post to say he may want to be involved in "professional" soccer again. :rolleyes:

16. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    Sorry. Just didn't know if you were under the impression he had not been involved with the sport at all.

17. Mad Header

Mad Header Member

Mar 8, 2001
    Mt Prospect
    No problem.

Actually, besides talking to Rudy at those afore-mentioned post-game parties, I once ran into him at a gyros joint in Wheeling, and we had about a fifteen minute talk about what was happening with the Sting. In that pre-internet time, it was quite a "scoop" for me! :cool: Rudy was one of the most popular players of that era. It would be cool if he was a part of this.

18. mutinywxgirl

mutinywxgirl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 6, 1999
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Dang - all this talk almost makes me want to move back to Chicago to get involved in the soccer going on up there! I used to LOVE going to the indoor games when I lived there - saw many great ones vs. the Rowdies (of course, my team), but rooted for the Sting/Power whenever the Rowdies weren't in town.....this is fantastic news!

19. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    I actually tended to run into Rudy at the grocery store. I'm pretty sure he still lives up in Crystal Lake.

20. Mad Header

Mad Header Member

Mar 8, 2001
    Mt Prospect
    We do have some great soccer going on here mutinywxgirl. Here's hoping this new indoor team becomes a reality and is done right. And it seems there are lots of people who fondly remember those indoor Sting games at the old Stadium. Too bad Wirtz & Co didn't do what was done in Milwaukee when the Bradley Center was built. They kept the old Arena and Auditorium for overflow events and events that didn't need the seat requirement of the new place.

21. Khan

Khan Member+

Mar 16, 2000
    On the road
    I'm not sure that UIC is a possibility any more. When UIC hired the "great Jimmy Collins," and cut the hockey program, the campus underwent a renovation of the pavilion. [Yet another reason to root against UIC at every opportunity...]

I'm not even sure that the pavilion has boards any longer, or even the ability to remove the basketball courts there; I seem to recall the floor being "perminently installed" into the pavilion. I also seem to remember that the pavilion reconfigured the seating so as to better accomodate the basketball teams.

Does anyone have more current info on the Pavilion?

22. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    http://www.foxsportsworld.com/content/view?contentId=2181946

23. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stockton?

Are you kidding me? They are such a bush-league town, they can only DREAM of being Columbus or Rochester.