Alert: MISL.com gone!

Discussion in 'Pro Indoor Soccer' started by IndoorSoccerNews, Mar 21, 2014.

1. skipper60601

skipper60601 Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Club:
    Hibernian FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Completely unfair in my opinion. The MISL was floundering with five teams in 2010-11, two of which barely made it through the season and then folded. The USL affiliation gave the MISL three seasons that it probably wouldn't have had otherwise because the MISL had only three teams at the time.

2. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I gotta give you credit because everything in there was spelled correctly.

That said, you're still an idiot, because it's not like you had this flourishing league and someone came along and killed it.

The original MISL (which we all now mythologize, for some reason) nearly died several times and finally did in 1992. Or twenty-two years ago. And USL was nowhere to be found. It was a little indoor league that had barely taken its first steps outdoors.

The second MISL (nee AISA, later NPSL) lasted all of seven seasons. Before it fell victim to all the exact same things we're seeing today.

Go back to 2011...the NISL/MISL3 was floundering. Despite Soccer-Man's histrionics about how they were going to lead the game back to its former glory, it wasn't happening. Omaha couldn't continue and Chicago - which only existed to get them to five teams - could not attract an investor. There were three teams. Three. That's it. That's the list.

USL hasn't done this particularly well. But it's completely revisionist history and immature lashing out b.s. to say they killed it.

Indoor's not dead. Not yet.

And you're still a dope.

3. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not nearly as dumb as it sounds, but here's the problem:

Who wants to be promoted in this scenario? How are you going to determine who's where? Can there be any criteria other than arbitrary ones OR owner finances...in which case, how, exactly, does winning the lower division help with that? What is attractive about being promoted?

In Europe (let's use England as an example, because that's about the only European soccer nation most posers know anything about, but it applies in most places), getting promoted is actually good for you. You get in on the top-flight TV and media deals. You get Man City to come to your yard. You get a financial windfall. It's good for business.

People who just want to see pro/rel just to see what it looks like are the types of people who will put aluminum foil in the microwave just because. It's silly. There's no reason to do either of those things.

DallasHammster repped this.
  4. DallasHammster

Jun 18, 2007
    DALLAS!!!
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The simple fact is "pro / rel" is incompatible with the reality of sports economics in this country. The gap between number one (be it MLS, NFL, NHL, NBA, mlb, whatever) and the next league under is too vast. For example, when the PASL discussed creating Pro I and Pro II, it was for one reason - the break was supposed to based on which side of 1000 the seating capacity fell - or, in other words, great differences in rent. And the day MLS announces "pro / rel" between the NASL is the day that the hope for any new soccer-specific stadiums comes to an end.

MLSinCleveland, KidFlash and kenntomasch repped this.
  5. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You would have to have too many top-level-worthy teams (a situation we obviously do not have) and a direct financial incentive (or, at least, no DISincentve) for promotion.

All that would happen if you got promoted is your expenses would go up. And if you could not self-relegate (as happens now, outdoors), teams would just fold. Which would keep us exactly where we are right now.

6. cardshopmd

cardshopmd Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NISL_Logo_Small(1).jpg Here is my suggestion for Division 1 & 2 Teams
    a merger defection or what ever you want to call it to divide the teams .
    1) League Name NISL ( National Indoor Soccer League ) use the same logo we used in 2009
    Division 1 teams ( break off in to 2 divisions )
    (7,347) Rochester
    (6,123) Baltimore
    (5,857 ) Monterrey
    (5,636) St Louis
    (4,180) Missouri
    (4,906 ) Milwaukee
    (4,272) San Diego
    (4,002) Dallas
    (2,869) Syracuse
    (2,147 ) Ontario
    (1,720) Harrisburg
    (1,650) Wichita
    (1,036) Hidalgo
    Division 2 Teams ( Teams that cant meet 1,000 Fan average requirement ) ( break off in to 2 divisions )
    (866) Tulsa
    (779) Chicago
    (699) Las Vegas
    (565) Detroit
    (521) Turlock
    (481) Cleveland
    (397) Saltillo
    (350) Bay Area
    (341) Cincinnati
    (321) Texas
    (312) Sacramento
    (299) Illinois
    (262) Mexico

7. skipper60601

skipper60601 Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Club:
    Hibernian FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You just put the PASL champions in the second division and killed off any positive momentum from their championship and successful hosting of the Newman Cup semifinals and final.

8. HBG-Heat

HBG-Heat Member

Mar 3, 2014
    Harrisburg Area
    Club:
    Harrisburg City Isl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everyone here, please consult map when deciding on new divisions for league next season. San Diego needs at least 3 other regional teams, to make it work for them. They will be gone in a year if they don't have some regional play available to them. You can't expect them to travel by plane for 1/3 of there games.

[​IMG]

9. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

"Forget it, he's rolling."

Scott717257 repped this.
  10. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002
    Aaaaand Lewis is fired. Who else has an idea?

cardshopmd repped this.
  11. cardshopmd

cardshopmd Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just separated it in to A and B Groups It does not mean you cant play the teams in group B All new teams should start in group B for at least 1 year before moving in to group A Play that give them at least 1 year to market the team and attract a fan base . if they can not then they stay in group B

12. cardshopmd

cardshopmd Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    how can you put a team in a pro Division if they only get 779 fans a game

13. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002
    Because it's not 1986 and you need teams to have a league. And you need a lot of teams to have a national league.

And some MISL teams have already cut payroll over 50% before the PASL was ever a consideration. This is all part of the right-sizing and retrenching of indoor soccer.

EnricoSharke repped this.
  14. cardshopmd

cardshopmd Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know one of the largest issues what the 750K franchise fee that the usl now wanted Soccer Sam stated that number not me . I do know payroll was cut the blast cut out a lot of promotions and give always this year . And Ed Hale is still trying to by the arena , Now I am hearing the PASL will meet in Baltimore in MAY .. I guess to save on cost they are doing everything through Email . What I would love to know is who is going to the USL Meeting Tomorrow ..

15. mjames1229

mjames1229 Member

Sep 26, 2006
    West Allis, WI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm generally staying out of trying to decide who goes where (and why) and how, etc., etc., I first need to make sure I have a horse to ride, then I'll wait to see which racetrack to go to.

This is all one big indoor soccer Kaizen Event. Let all of the persons paying the bills and also the ones pushing the paper get together and agree on something that works. Remove the broken tools, scrap old inventory, move the air hose here and build a rolling cart... and Blammo! New indoor soccer set-ups.

Patience, being the key.

16. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you are going to have cross-group play, what's the point of having groups?

And the problem with your scenario is that, eventually, more teams end up in group B and if they are not allowed to drop, they will likely just fold.

Honestly, you should stay out of every discussion that has to do with the law and with business.

17. jgoethe

jgoethe Member

Feb 17, 2011
    Club:
    Bristol City FC
    If time allowed before the outdoor seasons started, it would have been fun to see a Mustangs v. Comets series of friendlies.

My issue with the PASL game I saw had nothing to do with attendance and everything to do with neither team looking like they knew how to play. Wichita had a few guys who played on a couple of bad Wings teams for wo years prior and Tulsa had a guy who was in the Comets camp in Year 1. And while the final was 9-2, it wasn't good soccer, especially on one side of the ball. IMHO, either team wouldn't have faired much better than Reading vs the 4 MISL playoff teams.

18. GameraRPZ

GameraRPZ Member

Jul 24, 2006
    If "right-sizing" is 779 people a game...........well that is just sad. 13 teams below 900 per game last year. Sheesh

19. cardshopmd

cardshopmd Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Syd are these your logos , they just popped up on line when I searched for NISL Logo Samples

NSL_logo 1.jpg

20. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jesucristo, WE GET IT ALREADY.

21. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Players without much in the way of options, I would guess.

22. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002
    Yikes those are terrible. That wasn't for me.

cardshopmd repped this.
  23. Scott717257

Scott717257 Member

Nov 28, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    So does San Diego and Ontario play 15 out of the 20 games against each other? Otherwise, both teams will be gone within 2 years. Ontario most likely after 1 season, SD the following when their schedule becomes even more absurd without Ontario.

This is the point yourself and a few others are missing... we NEED these 700 fans a game, playing in pavilion, glorified stat padding teams in order for the big guys to survive! Sure, maybe some teams should step up and try on a bigger level but if that fails (see Harrisburg here), they should be able to go back to a smaller arena and keep playing, rather than fold. It will be good for the Blast, good for the Heat, and gives the team owner an incentive to try and grow. By forcing teams to either go big or go home (lower div or out of league) it not only damages the sport, those cities and supporters (even small in cases), AND the big boys of indoor.

Mr. Hale said he asked the USL multiple times "who are we going to play?" and the USL couldn't answer. If you force teams to abide by 2K seat venues or bigger to just get into the league's A group, your going to be quickly asking yourself "who are we going to play" by the situation you've created.

Sure it sucks and isn't ideal our "professional players of the Blast/Wave/Comets/Lancers/Exc.Exc." will be on the road in front of a crowd of 200, up by a score of 15-20 plus for a few years while this thing grows... but its a TON better than out of business OR back to a 4-7 team model with 2 teams of competition, like we had the past several years, and this time their would be NO hope on the horizon.

Don't kick a gift horse in the mouth, and don't expect to not be called crazy if you keep doing the same things expecting a different result.

24. Anubis

Anubis Member

Mar 17, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    A possible solution to what I will call the "San Diego problem" (honestly, no one wants to see a 4k+ avg attendance team drop or be stuck in some lower tier league) would be to across the league collect league fees then distribute them to teams based on something like travel distance or cost within some formula. Teams closer together would end up partially subsidizing teams that are establishing new territory for the good of the league. I mean hell, if the MISL teams coming over are "used" to pretty outrageous fees from USL, that as far as I can tell never really did much for them, could they really balk that badly at the reduced PASL fee plus an extra 50-100k each that they will partially get back for their own travel expenses anyway? And I'd think that if the west coast teams ended up basically splitting the travel expenses with the other owners the financial burden wouldn't be a key deciding factor of financial solvency.

It'd require owners really focusing on what's best for the league and helping each other out but if the only argument to keep certain teams around is for cheap fodder, I have to say that there is a better way. If only people will be willing to work together and think of long term benefits.

25. cardshopmd

cardshopmd Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The shapes are similar to the old NISL LOGO