Minor League Ballparks

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Glenwood Lane United, Nov 3, 2004.

1. Glenwood Lane United

Apr 28, 2001
    Hanover Park, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is your favorite Minor League Ballpark?

Mine is McCormick Field, Asheville, NC.

Just south of the business district. Parking really is tight, but the field is gorgeous. You know how the "Field of Dream's field was smack dab in the middle of a cornfield? You get the impression that you are smack dab in the middle of a forest.

2. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've never been to a minor league ballpark although I got the PawSox a short drive from me. I've been dying to go to Keyspan Park in Brooklyn where the single A Cyclones play.

3. ProfZodiac

ProfZodiac Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    McCoy is nice. Cheap, too.

4. writered21

writered21 Member+

Jul 14, 2001
    Middle of the Road
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've only been to a few here around our area and one away from it:

* Prince William Stadium, home of the Class A Potomac Cannons in the Carolina League. One CL radio announcer refers to PWS as the "Erector Set."

* Grove Stadium, Frederick, Md., Class A Frederick Keys, also in the Carolina League. Really nice park for an A club.

* Don't know what it's called, but the home of the AA Bowie Baysox in the Eastern League is like Grove Stadium, with bigger capacity. Another good place to watch a game.

* Bosse Field, Evansville, Indiana. Former home of the former Evansville Triplets. Not sure if the Evansville Otters play there, or if it still stands. The University of Evansville played its baseball games there for many years. Old, old park, I think it's the first municipally-funded baseball stadium in the country. I guess it would be my favorite. It was also one of the stadiums used in "League of their Own."

5. therealronaldo7

therealronaldo7 New Member

Apr 14, 2004
    Chicago
    I have not been inside a lot of minor league parks lately, but in driving by some, it seems that all of them are getting nicer and bigger. I did go to see the Peoria Chiefs, a single A affiliate of the Cubs for the 2005 season, and their new stadium is downtown and really nice compared to their old park. I like the direction minor league baseball is going.

6. Glenwood Lane United

Apr 28, 2001
    Hanover Park, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been to Harry Grove. Yes, very nice.

The Otters still play there. There's a good write up of Bosse on the Evansville Otters Web Site. And "Can't Find a Dry Ball" is well worth reading. I tend to stay away from Indy parks when i go on a my trips, but I might have to give that one a look if I go down to the Smokies or Big South Fork.

7. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    There was a good general "favorite baseball park" thread a while back, but it seems to be gone now. It had a number of pics of favorite, both major and minor league.

I've only been to 3 minor league parks, I think. Of those, the Mudhens' new one in downtown Toledo is by far the best. Awesome place to watch a game.

McCoy in RI is also good. The other I've been to is the Capital City Bombers park in Columbia, SC, which was pretty lame.

8. fiddlestick

fiddlestick New Member

Jul 17, 2001
    The 4 8 0
    Phoenix Muni' where the crowds are puny.

9. UpTheMetro

UpTheMetro Member

Jun 3, 1999
    New York
    I have probably been to close to 50 minor league ballbarks in the last 10 years.

By far my favorite is The Epicenter, home to the Rancho Cucamonga Quakes. They have the best mascot too.

Other than that, I'd go with Durham Bulls for my second favorite.

10. Khansingh

Khansingh New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    The Luton Palace
    I remember going there with my relatives who live in Washington. It was home to the Prince William Yankees back then. They were playing the Suns. What a dump.

11. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    John Ducey Park and Telus Field here in Edmonton.

12. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    the stadium for the memphis redbirds (cards AAA) is suppose to be awesome... even got a naming rights deal (auto-zone???)

and i have heard great things about the peoria chiefs stadium

13. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    McCormick is nice. I went there in 1997. Macon, GA would have a nice ballpark, and an SAL champion team (2003), if their loony tune mayor would have kept it up like he promised the Braves he would. Of course, Rome, GA has a cool park now, where the SAL Braves now play.

I also like the Hoover Met (Birmingham, AL). The Hangar in Lancaster, CA is a good one too; right on the highway.