News: Minnesota United 's Miguel Ibarra Called Up

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Sebsasour, Sep 29, 2014.

1. TheNearPost

TheNearPost Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Ibarra really isn't bad. As some posters have pointed out, he is, in the eyes of some, a poster boy for Juergen Klinsmann, derailing discussion to an extent.

We could do worse, but we could do better, in my mind. He hasn't actually flashed anything of note for the team aside from some good movement.

He just seems to be another one of those players that Juergen likes to have around because if they ever opposed him or his advice, he'd be back in the NASL faster than you can say "second division soccer..."

Someone like Ale Bedoya makes more sense in that role. Not flashy himself, but effective.

GiallorossiYank repped this.
  2. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Yes, it's vastly better. We've always had guys who hustled but seldom seen off-the-ball runs as good as that one from Ibarra.

No matter what the BigSoccer consensus may say, anyone who watched Klinsmann closely as a player knows that he understands the difference between incisive runs and haphazard ones.

Bolivianfuego repped this.
  3. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    And of course, Bedoya is our first choice. Just wish he were more effective in front of the goal.

4. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Ibarra hasn't done anything to suggest he is over his head. I like the way he covered for Shea, he was at the right place, right time to help out when we didn't have the ball. Is that good enough for him to make the team? No. but is good enough for him to continue to get more looks.

GiallorossiYank repped this.
  5. USAMEX10

USAMEX10 Member+

Sep 24, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Shipp and Rowe are better at this point. But if I had to choose between Corona/Green/Ibarra I'd probably choose Ibarra at this point because he's like a lesser Bedoya

6. Brotheryoungbuck

Jan 24, 2015
    parts unknown
    I've been thinking about Ibarra lately, during the days before the Mexico game they talked a lot about his Mexican heritage, how reasonable would it be for Ibarra to end up in liga mx. But that raises a few questions. Is he good enough for Mexico? What team could use him? Has a NASL player ever done this? Is this a good move? I don't have a real opinion on any of these, I haven't really watched him in the NASL enough (I should be using the new ESPN 3 thing but finals are approaching), and I feel like he hasn't played enough with the national team for me to really have a gauge on this.

7. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, if the Mexican players that we beat play in that league, why can't Ibarra?

Marko72 repped this.
  8. USAMEX10

USAMEX10 Member+

Sep 24, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    No I don't think so. If Michael Farfan could barely get minutes for Cruz Azul and was barely a regular for their reserves I doubt Ibarra could play for a Liga MX team

9. LuckofLichaj

LuckofLichaj Member+

Mar 9, 2012
    Kelyn Rowe is maddeningly inconsistent. When you watch him, you know that the ingredients are there but I don't see a guy who's been improving at an acceptable rate for a young player. Shipp can't move. If you can't move, you'd better be Juan Roman Riquelme. Or at least James Rodriguez. He isn't close to either. Unless he somehow becomes a better athlete, he'll never be of use to us.

Ibarra can run fast, run for days and run intelligently. Not much else going on, but sustained pace is very useful for a pool that simply doesn't have enough technical players to keep the ball against decent opposition.

deuteronomy, MPNumber9 and Hararea repped this.
  10. USAMEX10

USAMEX10 Member+

Sep 24, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Shipp has no real #9 to play with.. Fire forwards run the worst runs, smh seriously they run into each other! What is he going to do with that not even Riquelme can do anything (unless you count FK goals which Maloney has taken over without earning) with inept ST who can't make good runs or finish. Accam is the only decent player he can work with Maloney is past his prime sad to say as a fire fan... Playmakers will play better with the better players they play with. I agree about Rowe though he is too inconsistent. If you put Shipp on the Revs he'd really good since he has players he can actually work with.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  11. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. TheNearPost

TheNearPost Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Szetela had plenty of potential. He had graft and grit, but also craft. Plenty powerful with good control and technique. Would be ideal on the outside of the diamond if he had turned out better. I'd love to see him make a comeback, and if Ibarra can play for us, it's not such a long shot that he can too.

13. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Marko72 and GiallorossiYank repped this.
  14. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mentioned Szetela a while ago and it was dogged on. I mean if Ibarra gets a go, why not Szetela? Hes obviously got it together in New York now, and whatever drama/trouble he was going through seems to be a thing of the past.

15. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Its not about how he compares to Ibarra. Ibarra doesn't deserve a place on the NT. Completely ignoring Ibarra's presence, Szetela doesn't deserve a look with the National Team.

16. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    [​IMG]

Ibarra in the current NASL Team of the Week.
    http://www.mnunitedfc.com/news/2015/05/13/davis-and-ibarra-in-nasl-team-of-the-week

"Throughout his 90-minute shift on Saturday night, Ibarra was a constant threat. The U.S. international showcased a willingness to attack defenders and his movement created goal-scoring opportunities. He also assisted on Pablo Campos’ goal with a centering pass, as the Loons forward used a nifty back heel to score the match’s only tally."

Tom Collingsworth and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  17. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ibarra is too good for NASL

18. USAsports6

USAsports6 Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Oct 17, 2014
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really disagree with this. Ibarra could definitely play in Liga MX... Not saying he'd be a star there or anything, but he would be a starter on a number of teams there imo.

19. Brotheryoungbuck

Jan 24, 2015
    parts unknown
    Apparently I wasn't too far off base..

Tom Collingsworth, Pl@ymaker and Hararea repped this.
  20. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    That was a given. With Minnesota looking to a close to 1 million pay figure for him, I wonder which team it could be?

I think a move there def. helps his exposure to those that underrated NASL and also improves him with his game.

21. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tom Collingsworth and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  22. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Niiiiice. Leon--Carlos Slim's team aka the richest man in the world and Willie Yarbrough's club team.

23. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But it makes no sense. I've been told he's not good enough for MLS.

24. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    608758981184622592 is not a valid tweet id

25. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010