mind numbing masses

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by olckicker, Jul 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Internet debates are really boring when all people do is post links or cut-and-paste at each other.

2. joseph pakovits

joseph pakovits New Member

Apr 29, 1999
    fly-over country
    It's even worse when they try to write the extremely long and detailed posts that are necessary for a scientific debate. This way, you can go look at the primary sources yourself rather than read eight foot long posts that span three pages each. Trust me, it's better this way, especially since it's just a one-way street of superdave, Loney and I refuting creationism. So far, Daksims has yet to refute any of our refutations of ICR's arguments.

3. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess I'll just have to accept that BigSoccer.com is not the ideal place for interesting scientific exchange. Given time, I suppose I'll learn to live with that.

4. joseph pakovits

Apr 29, 1999
    fly-over country
    You're right. These discussions are better off done in person or in books where the time/space limitations aren't so bad. C'est la vie. *insert "Whattayagunnadoo?" shrug here*

5. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    This ain't a debate. A debate is when two sides offer compelling evidence to support their side of an argument.

This is an ass-kicking.

6. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This reminds me of a nice little joke.

This guy gets sentenced to 10 years at a longterm lockup facility. His first day in the yard, an inmate just up and says, "14." And all the guys around him laugh.

Later, another inmate say, "23" and everyone laughs.

So the newbie idles up to his cellmate and asks him what's going on.

The cellmate says, well, we've been here so long, we've numbered all of the jokes, so we don't have to bother with telling them.

About 10 minutes later, the newbie says, "7." Nobody laughs, they just look at him.

Distressed, the newbie walks up to his cellmate and says, what did I do wrong?

Well, some people know how to tell a joke, and some people don't.

7. Daksims

Daksims New Member

Jun 27, 2001
    Colorado
    I agree, so I think I will end with this -

2 Peter 3:3 Know this first of all, that in the last days mockers will come with their mocking, following after their own lusts,
    4 and saying, "Where is the promise of His coming? For ever since the fathers fell asleep, all continues just as it was from the beginning of creation."
    5 For when they maintain this, it escapes their notice that by the word of God the heavens existed long ago and the earth was formed out of water and by water,
    6 through which the world at that time was destroyed, being flooded with water.
    7 But by His word the present heavens and earth are being reserved for fire, kept for the day of judgment and destruction of ungodly men.

If the Bible is wrong, who cares. We'll go where we go. If however the Bible is right . . .

Goodnight and God bless.

8. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reminds me of another joke. There was a great flood, and the sheriff sent his deputies out to warn people near the river to leave.

An old man met the deputy and told him, I'm a God fearing man, and I'll trust in God.

The waters rose, and most everyone had left. The National Guard sent out boats, to pick up the stragglers, and the old men called from his wondow, I'm a God fearing man, and I'll trust in God.

Finally, as the waters rose, and the man was forced to climb onto his roof, the Governor sent around a helicopter to pick up the last few. And the old man yelled up to the helicopter, I'm a God fearing man, and I'll trust in God.

The waters continued to rise, and the man drowned. He found himself in heaven, and met God.

And he asked God, I don't understand, Lord. I believed in you. I lived your way to the best of my ability. Why did you let me drown? Why didn't you save me.

And God said, look, buddy, I sent the deputy, I sent the boat....

Daksims, God left the fossil record. He made the physics of the universe, for the most part, constant and understandable. He gave you a brain to figure this stuff out with. What more do you want Him to do?

9. joseph pakovits

Apr 29, 1999
    fly-over country
    AFAICT, the only person who is saying "the Bible is wrong" is you. The rest of us are saying that your interpretation of the Bible is wrong. Big difference there.

Once you realize that the Bible was written by and/or for an ancient people who had no interest in astrophysics, geology, paleobiology, etc., and who thought and wrote poetically and metaphorically and not scientificaly or "historically" (in the way we, not ancient peoples, think of as 'history') then your problem of reconciling the Bible with science is simply transcended. It goes "poof" and disappears.

So Genesis has two separate Creation stories. So there are two separate Flood narratives. So the OT writers were preoccupied with maintaining a cycle of

1) God's reaching out to His people

2) His people's initial acceptance and later rejection

3) God's wrath

4) The people's repentance

5) God's forgiveness

in all their historical narratives regardless of what 'actually happened' in what WE think of as "history".

Big whup. It is the poetic truths that the stories impart that are important and it is those truths which you should focus on in deciding whether the Bible is "right" or not. Compared to these truths the questions of "Was the universe created in six days 10,000 years ago", "How many animals were on the Ark" or "Did Samson really defeat an entire army with the jawbone of a donkey" are so many fetters and snares to a true uderstanding of the Bible.

10. Damon_D.

Damon_D. New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    MD
    Chelsea Clinton & Al Gore III, private high school grads, supposedly "swallowed all of Moms & Dads & their private schools' propaganda."

Monica Lewinsky, didn't swallow.

11. joseph pakovits

Apr 29, 1999
    fly-over country
    Talk about your delayed reactions...

Since you didn't notice it the first time around, I divided the majority of the more rabid pro-voucher folks into two groups:

1) The rich. They want more wealthfare. If they can get the rest of us to pay for their kids' private school education like we pay for so much else they get, they'll be even happier than they are now.

2) The whackos. They want to indoctrinate their kids into their whacko belief system without interference from other competing views that their kids might be exposed to in a public school where they have to attend class with kids from different socioeconomic and cultural backgrounds.

The Bushes, Clintons and others are in the first category and are therefore less likely to be overly concerned with the desires that bedazzle the second group.

Dumbya would probably have gotten bowjobs earlier but he likely kept getting "whiskey dick" before he just gave up and drank a few more beers to fortify him for the drive home.

Thank you for playing, though. Please pick up your consolation prize at the door.

12. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Wow. Anytime you can get the term "whiskey dick" into a conversation, that's entertainment! :D

13. TheWakeUpBomb

TheWakeUpBomb Member

Mar 2, 2000
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    And where the government gets to approve everything that is taught in the school, because the government would never make a mistake. Just trust the government to indoctrinate your children. What a comforting thought.

14. joseph pakovits

Apr 29, 1999
    fly-over country
    Yeah, like that crazy evolution and science talk that mean ol' guvmint pushes on our kids, huh?

And of course, corporate-run schools and religious schools by definition can't "indoctrinate" our kids with anything... :rolleyes:

Say, aren't you right wingers alays so hot for the public schools to "indoctrinate" kids into "patriotism" and "the American Way" and stuff like that? Oh yeah, if a school teaches something you agree with, that's 'education' but if they dare teach something you disagree with, that's "indoctrination"...

15. Garcia

Garcia Member

Dec 14, 1999
    Castro Castro
    But he forgets that when you drink AND coke, the booze don't affect you as much. Now, if he would have said that Junior never shut up, then it would have been a quality observation.

Just say No!

16. joseph pakovits

Apr 29, 1999
    fly-over country
    The things you learn on BigSoccer.

17. Damon_D.

Damon_D. New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    MD
    No, you're the one who talks about parents "indoctrinating" kids by sending them to private schools who are more inline with their beliefs than private schools.

But, anyways, here in the land of facts, KKKlinton's done crack, weed, is a rapist and has been impeached.

Just tell your female friends to be careful of KKKlinton, he'll rape ya without thinking twice. Ask Juanita Broaddrick.

You lose, I win, no consolation prize for you at the door.

18. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    A locally elected board of private sector citizens runs my school district. Who runs yours?

19. eneste

eneste Member

Mar 24, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Thanks y'all you've been great! I guess the cat is out of the bag, yes, Daksims was "created" by the boards athiests and agnostics just to dog you believers. Noah had 4 goats in the boat! NO HE HAD 7!!!! hehehehe, you guys and your stories.

20. Dolemite

Dolemite Member+

Apr 2, 2001
    East Bay, Ca
    they're more along the lines of fables

21. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like, who hasn't learned that from experience... I mean... hasn't everyone... [JohnStewart]I've said too much[/JohnStewart].

You lose.

22. Daksims

Daksims New Member

Jun 27, 2001
    Colorado
    This is for all the "believers" that believe in evolution. Romans 5:12 says Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:

So what you Christians are telling me is that there was no death for billions and billions of years. The dinosaurs must have died before man, right? I don't think so.

Every Christian knows the wages of sin is death.

Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Why would God give us our wage before we earned it?

When did humans evolve souls?

If it is a lie that anything was created, it's a lie that was repeated 38 times in the Bible. See link.

http://www.biblegateway.com/cgi-bin...rtRestrict=&EndRestrict=&SearchAsLink=&rpp=25

I submit that the being mentioned in Ezekiel 28:12-14 is the same responsible for the false evidence and teachings. He gains alot by destroying the Genesis creation account. By the way, I use this passage cause it says he was created, too.

23. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't "believe" in evolution. At least, not in the intransitive "faith" sense of the word. An examination of the facts at hand lead to the conclusion that evolution is a pretty darn plausable explaination, and that the basics of the theory are likely true.

I think you've seen One Million Years BC a few too many times. I mean, Rachel Welch running around in a fur bikini being chased by bad-special-effect dinosaurs (aka "Gila monsters") is entertaining, and she's quite a piece of ass, but... come on.

Begs the question - do humans have souls?

Seeing the world in black-and-white is dangerous and simple-minded. It's a big part of why the WTC is no longer standing - the black-and-white fanaticism of certain militant Muslims.

24. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you're saying that the dinosaurs did not die before man, right?

Don't you find it pretty amazing that there's no mention of dinosaurs in the Bible? I mean, having 60 foot tall carnivores running around, to me, would be a pretty central fact of life, something that wouldn't go unnoticed.

These guys found time to talk about the proper kind of material for a devout person to use in clothes, but they didn't mention the brontosaurus down the block?!?!?!

25. Daksims

Daksims New Member

Jun 27, 2001
    Colorado
    There are several references to leviathan and one on the behemoth.

http://www.biblegateway.com/cgi-bin...rpp=25&language=english&searchpage=0&x=13&y=4

Job 40
    15 Behold now behemoth, which I made with thee; he eateth grass as an ox.
    16 Lo now, his strength is in his loins, and his force is in the navel of his belly.
    17 He moveth his tail like a cedar: the sinews of his stones are wrapped together.
    18 His bones are as strong pieces of brass; his bones are like bars of iron.
    19 He is the chief of the ways of God: he that made him can make his sword to approach unto him.
    20 Surely the mountains bring him forth food, where all the beasts of the field play.
    21 He lieth under the shady trees, in the covert of the reed, and fens.
    22 The shady trees cover him with their shadow; the willows of the brook compass him about.
    23 Behold, he drinketh up a river, and hasteth not: he trusteth that he can draw up Jordan into his mouth.
    24 He taketh it with his eyes: his nose pierceth through snares.