Milwaukee already awarded expansion?

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by wufc, Jul 12, 2005.

1. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

True, but since Televisa is going to buy and move the Quakes Milwaukee's expansion partner for 2007 is pretty straight forward:

[​IMG]

How do I know that the Earthquakes are being moved? Because I say so ;)

2. MLS3

MLS3 Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Pac NW
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    can we get a good name for this team? something connected to the city of milwaukee (ala future rivals Chicago Fire)...

3. wufc

wufc Member

May 1, 2005
    UC Irvine
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It worked in BASEKetball...the Milwaukee Beers...

4. PaulGascoigne

PaulGascoigne Member+

Feb 5, 2001
    Aotearoa/NZ
    The Fire pretty much already has a rival. I'll let you guess who it is...

5. Epikoinos

Epikoinos Soccer player-coach-manager-journalist

Arsenal, Real Salt Lake, Forward Madison
    United States
    Jan 6, 2004
    Oregon, WI
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. wufc

wufc Member

May 1, 2005
    UC Irvine
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, Peter Wilt was REALLY keeping this a secret. Look at the first post of this thread to see what he commented about Milwaukee TODAY.

7. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was Peter Wilt involved with this before his removal in Chicago? if so, that probably explains why he is being phased out.

I wonder if they can snatch the name of the local club Milwaukee Bavarians? That has a nice sound to it.

And it would be hilarious to see a team called "Milwaukee Beers" :p

8. wufc

wufc Member

May 1, 2005
    UC Irvine
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I REALLY doubt that Wilt would've been involved before. There really was no reason for him to leave Chicago.

And seeing as Wilt is now in charge, I expect Milwaukee to have an awesome name. I pray he chooses Beers.

9. BillQ

BillQ New Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago, IL
    Wilt was removed by AEG because they felt they needed someone with more sales experience to help sell the Bridgeview stadium. They weren't happy with the revenue numbers he was generating and decided to make a change.

I am so damn happy he is going to get to work on another soccer project from the ground up. Here is hoping he makes Milwaukee a great club (although not as great as the Fire, of course).

10. Calexico77

Calexico77 Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Mid-City LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know, I check this goddamned site 10 times a day. All day - nothing. Blah blah blah Gold Cup blah blah blah New Predators blah.

Now, I find that in the last three hours, Milwaukee is getting a team, an SSS and Peter Wilt is heading the club?

I need to go apologize to the people who I insulted for thinking Beckham is coming to play in MLS soon. They might have something.

I officially give up in my attempts to forcast what will happen next for this league.

11. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

A team with the nickname "Beers" would instantly have the best selling jersey in MLS. I used to work at a soccer shop and people who didn't know anything about soccer would occasionally come in to buy Newcastle (Brown Ale) jerseys.

12. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope this leads MLS to keep the Quakes in San Jose and to award Televisa a Houston expansion team to go along with Milwaukee.

And those who speak lightly of teams moving (Sempuukyaku, that means you) should spend eternity in hell for the sin of disrespecting local sports fans.

- Paul

13. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    It seems Greenberg is the stadium guy, and Wilt will be put in charge of doing what he does best--building a loyal fanbase. A perfect fit for his talents, and being a local guy is that much better.

14. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to be negative, but do a little research on the guy who created MPF. He wrote a book too. :)

15. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mr. Jay DeMerit, please pick up a white courtesy phone.

16. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More like:

Greg Howes, Tony Sanneh, Brian Mc Bride, Tim Ward, Chad Dombrowski, Tighe Dombrowski and Bobby Lish please pick up the white courtesy phone.

17. OutKast3000

OutKast3000 New Member

Jan 7, 2004
    Since it is Milwaukee -- a Harley Davidson sponsorship would be pretty cool. Miller Lite makes most sense. But a black and orange Harley color scheme would be unique.

18. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    They will let us know in 60-90 minutes.

19. OutKast3000

OutKast3000 New Member

Jan 7, 2004
    If I were MLS -- I'd put a team in Milwaukee just to have a class act like Peter Wilt come on board! It makes sense because you know that Wilt will get the job done.

Heck -- being a Chicago supporter -- Milwaukke would have to be my second favorite team just because of Wilt!

20. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any word yet on a MLSnet.com press conference?
    I see nothing!

21. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was originaly shocked last night but this morning the more i think about it the more i think this city would work for MLS.

There are plenty of surrounding suburbs that have organized leagues in Racine, Kenosha, Waukasua, Mequon, Germantown. They have a very long standing and rich soccer culture with the Kickers in the area as well as some very strong amuatur clubs like the Bavarians, Serbians, Croatian Eagles. They have the indoor Wave that gets decent following. The outdoor team did well back in the day when guys like McBride and Sanneh played here but the Wave United (Rampage) never really took off.

The fans are definatly there its just a matter of getting them to support a pro team here.

The stadium issue is what i think it all comes down too. I hear this proposal is part of a massive bid of 300-500 million of privatly finaced monet for the entire area that was leveled and open for development. FOr those that don't know I will tell you whu this spot is golden. It is right on top of Water Street in Milwaukee. Water Street is a stretch of pavement that contains the focal point of the entire Milwaukee food and beverage as well as bars. This new stadium would be right on top of the epicenter of the city.

22. denver_mugwamp

denver_mugwamp New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Why would the act of awarding an expansion team to Milwaukee have anything to do with the Quakes moving to Houston? The real issue in San Jose is the lack of any viable stadium options. Without a decent stadium deal, there's no way that any MLS team can ever get close to profitability and that's the goal of the league right now. I personally have a great deal of respect for local sports fans, but I beleive the Televisa deal is done and there's nothing SSV can do about it. Meanwhile, the Milwaukee expansion proves again that MLS does not have any broad geographical plans for expansion. All it takes is an investor group and a stadium deal and any city can have a team.

23. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Yeah, that was classic.

Did you know that that example is used amongst (hollywood) writers as an example of a (desperate plot measures when you've run out of sensible ideas)...a series that's burned out, and going to end soon (lose its audience).

They call it 'jumping the shark' in the industry.

And yeah, that would be cooollllllllll. Heyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy. :)

24. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    This is just great news. I am really happy for Peter.

Outside of being wrong on Spector :p , I can't think of any mistakes he made. Perfect guy for perfect situation. The % of success of the project go up materially, and the Chicago-Milwaukee thing just gets more delicious.

Tony Sanneh to Milwaukee gg

25. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow. I mean, wow.

As someone who followed the previous Milwaukee MLS very closely (enough to put down a deposit on season tickets despite the fact I was living in NC at the time) this is really quite amazing. Wilt lives in Whitefish Bay? My in-laws live in Glendale right next door. Who'd a thunk it?

The keys for me are:

- A downtown stadium. Competition for the sports entertainment dollar is fierce in a modest market like MKE. The downtown stadium renderings from the previous bid, and its economic rationale made sense. In the right place, downtown MKE would be an amazing spot for a stadium.

- Wilt's involvement is huge. After going to SLC for the US-CR match, talking to a lot of RSL fans, seeing the kind of media coverage the team gets there, you see the difference between a well-run franchise and, well, a lot of other MLS franchises. In SLC there's a real connection - even in year one - between the team and the fans. And a huge part of this is the club's GM and his obvious dedication to the fans. Of course, he learned his trade under the tutelage of none other than Peter Wilt. It's going to take a GM of Peter Wilt's talents and energy for this hypothetical new franchise to be able to carve out a adequate niche in Brew Town.

Again, wow. Fingers crossed. Now if only Buzz Lagos could manage to do the same in Minnesota I'd be on Could 9.