Millie ESPN Chat Reel from 6/16

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by milbrett, Jun 16, 2003.

1. milbrett

milbrett New Member

Apr 9, 2000
    MA
    Tiffeny Milbrett: Hello everybody, I'm very excited to be here! Hopefully everybody's getting geared up for the World Cup -- I know I am!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    alli ( long island ): did you ever wish you were a little taller

Tiffeny Milbrett: Alli, good question, never do I wish that I was taller. I can play soccer very well with the body that I have so there was something that was meant to be.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Christina (Ramsey, NJ): Do you feel the pressure being the leader on the field of the NY Power? Is that pressure ever overwhelming at times?

Tiffeny Milbrett: Yes, sometimes there is a lot of pressure out there, if you don't knonw how to deal with that correctly it can be overwhelming, but I have a lot of support and a great group of teammates who help to absorb and deal with all that pressure.

Will from Portland Oregon: Tiffeny: The New York Power have already won more games this year than all of last year - Do you attribute it to more help and balance in scoring goals, more help with defending the great scorers in the league, or just good karma from all the tough losses you had to endure last year?

Tiffeny Milbrett: Will, I don't mind if karma has a hand in it, but most likely it is that we brought in a coach that knew how to repair the team from last year and get us playing together and connected and more organized. We can now stop teams from scoring and we have more goal scoring weapons. It is all coming around.

Portland, Oregon: Tiffeny I know you grew up in Portland and went to Hillsboro High School and UofP (Go Spartans and Pilots! Even though I went to Jesuit)and know you are in New York. Do you miss the Northwest? I am at school in New York and I know the lifestyle is a change. How are you dealing with it?

Tiffeny Milbrett: Well, you know I'm not in NY the whole year, I do go home to Portland, I have a house there, my mom is there, a lot of my good friends are there -- that's still home to me. But its definitely a big adjustment over here. A fast pace style, and most notably all the honking in NYC!

Corie (San Francisco, CA): Hey Tiffeny! I think you're one of the best female soccer players ever -- you've got mad skills!! I was just wondering what is in your CD player right now? Thanks for your time! Good luck in the all-star game!

Tiffeny Milbrett: There are a few mixes that I've put together -- they include a little bit of everything, slow and fast. Plus I just bought the new Elton John greatest hits and the new Evanesence.

Marcus (Ocean City): Hi Millie! If you weren't a professional soccer player, what would you be?

Tiffeny Milbrett: I'd probably want to be an ice hockey player.

Mario (New York, NY): Hi Tiffeny. I would like to know how you started enjoying Starbucks coffee so much. After seeing an interview with you, it seems like have at least 2 cups per day. Also, is a deal with Starbucks in the works?

Tiffeny Milbrett: Unfortunately, no deal in the works, but that'd be a dream deal. I used to be an addict, I had to cut down. Now I'm at one iced mocha a day.

Robert (Pasadena, Calif.): Tiffeny, you rock. Keep up the great work, I love watcing your game. So, how many marriage proposals have you received? Many I'm sure. But if you haven't taken anybody up on one yet, please take me into consideration.

Tiffeny Milbrett: Thanks Robert. My dream would be to get all those marriage proposals together and go on Elimi-date! The best man standing wins!

Moderator: Robert, you're not the only one who has asked for Tiffeny's hand today!

Ryan, NY: I've noticed that you have a couple tattoos. I like the placement, not your typical places. How many do you have and why are they where they are?

Tiffeny Milbrett: Thanks Ryan. The ones you see are the ones I have!

Holly from Maplewood, New Jersey: Which team in the coming Women's World Cup will be the biggest challenge to the U.S. team?

Tiffeny Milbrett: I hate to be general, but I think everybody will be tough. This WC in my opinion is the hardest one yet.

GC, NY: Milie is the best player in the World! Will this be her last World Cup? GO POWER!!!!!!

Tiffeny Milbrett: I really don't know, but as I get older, the more I take it year by year. So we will see.

Lisa, Heuvelton, NY: Hi Millie... How you doing? I saw the special they did last season about you, and your roommates, Jen Lalor and Christie Pierce.. That was neat, we don't offen get to see the everyday side of athletes. Was that really an avocado you put on your sandwich? LOL Anyways, I have admired Tiff the athlete, but now I have repsect for Tiff the woman off the field also. My question, is how hard is it to maintain any type of friendships/ relationship outside of the soccer realm? I would think it's important to maintain balance. Can it be done?

Tiffeny Milbrett: I say that it is more bad news for my friends b/c they hear from me less and less as I travel more and more and concentrate on the season. I am lucky to have really great friends who understand my busy schedule. I have to give them credit from keeping the friendship going.

Tracy: Palm Coast, FL: Millie, you are such an inspiration to women of all ages. Can your fans look forward to a book about your life in the future? Good luck to you this year!

Tiffeny Milbrett: That is a very interesting thought. If I feel like there is enough people interested, then it might be something that I might do ... but I guess there is no sense in writing a book no one wants.

nina: How does it feel when you play agianst your teamates from the wnt ?

Tiffeny Milbrett: It feels like you're playing against your sister. What a wonderful feeling.

Devin (Kansas): How do you fell about being compared to Mia Hamm?

Tiffeny Milbrett: I've never read anything that compares me to her, and I wouldn't believe it if I read it because we are two very different players.

Mick, Tupelo, Mississippi: Tiffeny, what's your opinion of the decision to play the World Cup women's final in the new Home Depot Center instead of the Rose Bowl?

Tiffeny Milbrett: It will only matter to me if we get there.

Tiffeny Milbrett: Well, I'm slightly kidding, from what I've heard it is an amazing soccer facility and to be able to play in something so state-of-the-art is what we've always dreamed about.

Geeta, NY: Hi Tiffeny, In your spare time do you get time to watch any men's soccer? Are you buddies with anybody?

Tiffeny Milbrett: I love watching English Premeire League soccer. I never get to hang out with Thierry Henry.

Kim: Have you seen Bend it Like Beckham?

Tiffeny Milbrett: Yes, I have seen it. I think it is pretty cute, very Hollywood to me and not so true to real life.

Casey, Covina, CA: Milbrett, What was it like playing for Clive Charles and how do you feel that now he has a College Cup Championship?

Tiffeny Milbrett: He is the best coach that I have ever had, to have had the chace to play for him was the best ever. For me to see him win the championship was the best day of my life. Exactly what he deserved.

Scott (Baltimore MD): Tiffany, I know Playboy and other magazines have offered lots of money for female athletes to pose nude. Have yourself, or any of your teamates agreed to do so? Should female athletes use their sex appeal to sell the sports behind it?

Tiffeny Milbrett: That is a tough question. Everybody has their own opinion and their own desires. I personally am not the Playboy type, nor do I think any female athlete has to be in order to be successful.

Lauren from Nashville,NC: What would you say is the strongest and weakest part of your game?

Tiffeny Milbrett: Right now the weakest part is finishing a goal. The strength is being dangerous at all times.

Red, Bayonne, NJ: Hey Millie, Good Luck in the All Star Game. I loved the Irish Jig victory dance, will we ever see that again? Maybe during WWC time?

Tiffeny Milbrett: No Red, the Irish Jig is retired, that was definitely a few years ago and have since grew out of that.

Sam (Holbrook, Massachusetts): After your games when you just want to take a shower and relax, are you annoyed by all the people wanting your autograph?

Tiffeny Milbrett: I never get annoyed by people wanting an autograph, however I can't lie and say that I am never not tired after a game.

Kate, Bayonne, NJ: Hey Millie. What is one of your biggest pet peeves?

Tiffeny Milbrett: One of them is people thinking they own the fast lane and then going below the speed limit. That's when I lose it and want to scream at them and ram the back of their car. Just get over!!

Red, Bayonne, NJ: Hey Millie. Who do you think is the most underrated player in the WUSA?

Tiffeny Milbrett: Shannon Boxx. From the NY Power of course. She made the All-Star team (well deservedly) so there's somebody paying attention to her talent.

Mark (Mapleton, Utah): What did you and your teammates do for fun while in Salt Lake City?

Tiffeny Milbrett: As for me, because this month has been so crazy. I slept whenever I could. You can't seem to get enough of that sleep sometimes.

Red,Bayonne, NJ: Hey Millie. Good Luck with the All Star game on Thursday. What are you looking forward to most.

Tiffeny Milbrett: I'm excited to have fun. Playing offense and no defense. (laughs)

Mark (Mapleton, Utah): What drives the WUSA in chosing locations for teams - potential attendance or potential TV ratings? I think Salt Lake would make a great venue for attendance, but national TV ratings might be low. What's the key?

Tiffeny Milbrett: I am obviously just a player -- so I only work here -- but in the beginning when they started it was all about where the investors were located. That's how they chose the markets.

Lauren (Nashvile, NC): Over the years you have acquired the nick name No Tact Tiff. Where do you get your admirable spunkiness from?

Tiffeny Milbrett: Obviously I have put my foot in my mouth plenty of times. I have thankfully gotten smarter at know what I can say and when and what I should say and shouldn't.

Tiffany (Cheyenne, WY): What it the most memorable thing that a fan has done or given to you?

Tiffeny Milbrett: One fan worked at a TV station somewhere and put together all the media from the 1999 world Cup. That was really cool b/c as players we very rarely get to see that stuff. To see the coverage and what folks were saying about us and how our team was portrayed was totally mind blowing. That was a great present! I really appreciated it.

Tiffeny Milbrett: Thanks so much to everybody for all of the interest in the chat. That makes these things really fun and worthwhile. I look forward to the next one. Keep supporting the WUSA and national team! Thanks soo much!