Military Academy Soccer

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by Vince Massi, Sep 7, 2014.

1. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    You're missing, pardon the pun, the point.

In this sport, as in hockey, the game is won by the team that has the most goals.

Points are scored in basketball and American football games. Points are used in soccer (and hockey) only in the standings.

It may seem pedantic, but the lingo is the lingo. You wouldn't say the Nationals got more points than the Orioles because in baseball that game is won by having the most runs.

Each sport has its own unique terminology and it should be respected.

In soccer, goalkeeper not goaltender. Defender not defenseman. Offside not offsides. And goals, not points.

Here endeth the lesson.

No shinguards and ThePonchat repped this.
  2. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Let's not get carried away.

Brandt is a very good college coach. (I suggested previously based solely on his work at Messiah that if there were a College Soccer Hall of Fame that he should be in it.)

But there's a big leap from D-III to D-I and there's a much bigger leap from the Patriot League to MLS. Before Brandt moved to MLS I think he'd need to prove himself in a bigger conference, consistently playing better teams.

I'd love to see him at a bigger program to see how he could do. He's a Pennsylvania guy so if Pitt or Temple or Villanova or even Penn State opened up, he'd be an ideal candidate to fill one of those jobs and I'd love to see what he could do in one of the bigger conferences.

But right now, he's .50o and has an RPI in the hundreds. That's not gonna get you to many MLS jobs.

DynamoEAR repped this.
  3. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    Do you feel you have scored a point there?

4. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Only in the standings.

5. OverseasView

OverseasView Member+

Olympique Lyonnais
    France
    Feb 3, 2013
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I agree : terminology is important. It is why I continue to talk about football and not soccer...:laugh::ROFLMAO:;)

6. No shinguards

No shinguards Member

Mar 21, 2008
    The Moon
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bookmesir repped this.
  7. Bookmesir

Bookmesir Member

Oct 14, 2012
    Club:
    FC Aarau
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. milito_22

milito_22 New Member

Sep 29, 2014
    Hello,I am an international student and this is the first time I write here.I was not able to open another topic and that's the reason I'm writing here.I was wondering if someone of you knows NCAA rules in order to help me.Let me know please.Thank you and nice to meet you

9. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Which US military academy do you prefer to play for?

10. Vince Massi

Vince Massi Member

Jul 15, 2014
    Club:
    S. C. Seahorses
    Welcome aboard, Milito. Most of your questions can be answered at http://www.ncaa.org/

In the US, soccer is far less popular than in most other nations, but there are a lot of college teams, local teams, and even our national team. The sport is growing in popularity in the US. This year, I watched some of the World Cup games and gave up on American football, because soccer is so much more interesting.

For years, I followed the military academies in football, and they usually don't do too well, because other colleges attract the best athletes. In soccer, the military academies have a better chance to compete evenly.

I hope you'll come back often and we'll answer your questions the best we can.

11. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    I have opened a thread for you here

http://forums.bigsoccer.com/threads/international-student-questions.2011793/

if your would like to use a more general start.

12. milito_22

milito_22 New Member

Sep 29, 2014
    hello thanks for reply and for my new post created.I will explain my situation there and I hope you can help me.Thanks

13. Vince Massi

Vince Massi Member

Jul 15, 2014
    Club:
    S. C. Seahorses
    It's September 30, 2014, and the unofficial D3 Soccer rankings are out. Coast Guard lost its #23 ranking, but still got enough votes to come in #29. Since all four military academies lost on Saturday, I'm afraid that's the best news we're going to get for a while.

14. Vince Massi

Vince Massi Member

Jul 15, 2014
    Club:
    S. C. Seahorses
    Folks, I need some help here. What are the NCAA RPI rankings? I can find all kinds of rankings they did, but I can't find out who they are or what RPI stands for. Anyway, they came out yesterday, and Air Force (4-1-3) is #62. Navy (4-4-1) is #94. Army (3-3-3) is #117.

Notice that none of the three academies have losing records.

205 teams are ranked.

And I'm glad that I don't follow Virginia Military institute--they're ranked #204.

15. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RPI deals with strength of schedule, strength of conference, etc. It looks at what a team has done, and then looks at what other teams they play have done. In theory it determines who is the strongest team. I say in theory, because there are some flaws with the system.

Vince Massi repped this.
  16. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    There are 205 DI teams.

RPI (Ratings Percentage Index) is a mathematical formula combining a teams WLT percentage weighted at 25%, their opponents' WLT percentage (adjusted to eliminate counting games twice) at 50%, and their opponents' opponents' adjusted WLT weighted at 25%. It is one of the factors considered by the NCAA tournament committee at season end when selecting at-large entries after the 24 conference winners have been decided. Other NCAA sports use RPI rankings as partial guidance for choosing tournament entries as well, with some modifications (adjusting for home field advantage, bonuses and penalties for significant wins and losses, eliminating statistical quirks that would reduce the RPI after a win, different weights to each of the factors, etc)

Vince Massi repped this.
  17. Vince Massi

Vince Massi Member

Jul 15, 2014
    Club:
    S. C. Seahorses
    Thank you Fellows. I repped both of you. I had figured out that RPI is not the Rensselaer Polytech Institute's soccer team (Yes, they have one). And I knew it wasn't Replacement Parts Inc. because they don't have a soccer team. But I couldn't find out what it was.

Meanwhile, the NSCAA Coaches' Poll just came out. Air Force came in #37. Navy and Army received no ranking votes.

18. Vince Massi

Vince Massi Member

Jul 15, 2014
    Club:
    S. C. Seahorses
    Coast Guard just beat Mitchell 6-0, and No, that is not a typo. A disaster for Mitchell, but not a typo.

19. HawkTalk

HawkTalk New Member

Jan 23, 2007
    In a "clash of the titans," from a height rather than RPI perspective, Navy's backline featuring 6-6 and 6-4 CBs takes on Lafayette and its front line featuring 6-4 and 6-3 attackers. For those who have an interest in tall players (Sandon, perhaps), it should be a good match to watch. Perhaps they can agree to settle any potential tie with a game of 2v2 basketball.

Vince Massi and OverseasView repped this.
  20. Vince Massi

Vince Massi Member

Jul 15, 2014
    Club:
    S. C. Seahorses
    #95 Vince Massi, Oct 4, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2014
    It’s Saturday evening, October 4, 2014, and we’re doing better than we did last week, when all four academies lost.

#94 Navy beat #165 Lafayette 1-0. According to my friend Hawk Talk, this was a battle between two tall teams.

#117 Army has lost 2-1 to #82 Boston University. This is the same team that beat Navy last Saturday.

Air Force #62 is playing #160 UMKC (Kansas City, Missouri). 72 minutes into the second half, the Falcons and the Kangaroos (That’s their name. Honest) are both scoreless.

This just in! Air Force won with two late-game goals. It's been a good day for Air Force; they beat Navy today in American Football in the first round of the President's Cup.

Coast Guard Bears vs. MIT Engineers. These guys may be intelligent, but nobody is posting the live score for a game that is still in progress. After losing its first game last Saturday, Coast Guard dropped to #29 in the unofficial D3soccer rankings. But earlier this week, they sank Clark 6-0. Neither Clark nor MIT have any ranking votes.

This just in! Coast Guard beat MIT 1-0!

21. Vince Massi

Vince Massi Member

Jul 15, 2014
    Club:
    S. C. Seahorses
    It’s October 7, 2014, and the newest RPI rankings are out.

Air Force has advanced from #62 to #53.

Navy must have cast anchor—they’re at #94 for the second week in a row.

Army fell from #117 to #121.

Hararea repped this.
  22. Bookmesir

Bookmesir Member

Oct 14, 2012
    Club:
    FC Aarau
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's not forget USMMA, the United States Merchant Marine Academy, also known as King's Point, on the north shore of Long Island, NY. They were a regional power in D3 Metro New York when a member of the Skyline Conference. They moved to the Landmark Conference a few years ago and are no longer a perennial guarantee for the NCAA's...but they're still a good side. Coached by Mike Smolens, a Springfield College (MA) alum.

23. bhoys

bhoys Member+

Aug 21, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    If you are going to go with the sort of silly Navy "must have cast anchor" metaphor, then way not also say Air Force has "gained altitude" to #53, while Army was "were defeated in two engagements and retreated" back to #121?

24. Vince Massi

Vince Massi Member

Jul 15, 2014
    Club:
    S. C. Seahorses
    Happy to help, Bookmesir. As of today, they're 6-5-1.

And the Coaches Rankings are out. Air Force lost altitude, dropping from #26 to #35.

And FINALLY! Coast Guard got a ranking vote (only 1) and are now #30 in Division 3.

Incidentally, Coast Guard plays Albertus Magnus tonight. The Falcons have no ranking votes, but they are 8-2-1.

25. Vince Massi

Vince Massi Member

Jul 15, 2014
    Club:
    S. C. Seahorses
    Albertus Magnus will have something to think about--Coast guard just beat them 4-0!