Milestones on the Road to Germany

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Sachin, Oct 11, 2002.

1. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Re: Re: Milestones on the Road to Germany

I know the odds are low, but if we are to establish ourselves as the undisputed top dogs in CONCACAF, we have to be able to go into our rivals houses, kick down the door, put our ass groove in their sofas, feet up on the coffee table, grab the remote and smack them on the head and order them to get us some beer and chips.

That means winning in their houses. If they have a place they feel confident they can win, they will always have that on us. As a famous football (real football, not soccer) coach said, "Beat them at their strengths and their weaknesses get weaker than ever."

Sachin

2. Chester FC

Chester FC New Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Sachin,

Is that quote from Sun Tzu? :)

Btw, if Bruce's contract situation does not work out, I think the Nature Boy Rick Flair would be a great USMT coach. Great press conferences and he could beat any Mexican wrestler in Azteca.

The USMT will have respect going into the Fatherland in 2006 (assuming we do). If we bomb out, it's right back to post-France 1998.

It's all about result in the Cup, which is a "fair" place to be judged.

3. flanoverseas

flanoverseas New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Xandria
    I am not lowering my expectations of this team just because it is soccer and it is hard. It is rare for your team to win the championship, and in some sports even the playoffs (unless you like the yankess which would be lame in and of itself); it's not unique to the world cup.

I expect the US to make the QFs in the World Cup. And I will not be satisfied with any moral victory. Could you imagine if we had lost to mexihack. That world cup ending would have been a lot more sour pill to swallow.

4. DAKCrew

DAKCrew New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Columbus, OH
    I'm all for Ric Flair as a new coach. I can picture a ref making a bad call and Ric run on the field slap the figure four on the ref get up and let out a big Whoooooooo. Then he would do his dance back to the sideline. We could call our midfield the 4 horsemen, too. Wraslin' was the best back in the day.

5. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Member+

Aug 24, 1999
    Milestones:

1. Left Back emerges from the fray.
    2. Reyna announces he will play in 2006, maintains health and form.
    3. JOB maintains health and form.
    4. Right Back emerges from the fray.
    5. A young attacking central midfielder emerges to back up Reyna, JOB
    6. 2-3 talented and productive forwards emerge from the fray.
    7. DMB stays healthy
    8. Pope stays healthy
    9. Bocanegra transitions to the MNT successfully
    10. Right Midfielder emerges from the fray

That's it. We have a very noticeable group of weaknesses that need to be addressed over the next 4 years. Here are some alternatives to those weaknesses:

1. Left Back - Franchino, Barrett, Bocanegra, Onyewu. Out of these 4 players, hopefully one can emerge as a left back who defends well and can transition into the attack. Gibbs may emerge as another option.

4. Right Back - Cherundolo, Suarez. We really need some cover here. Cherundolo has been promising in the Bundesliga, but his size is an issue.

5. Creative Midfielders - Convey, Martino stand out as possible candidates. They both have to take the reins of their club teams first, then consistently perform at a high level. It remains to be seen whether this will even come close to happening.

6. Forwards - With McBride, Moore, and Stewart out of the picture, we need some help up top for depth. Conor Casey could emerge if he gets healthy at Hannover. Quaranta could come forward. Wolff needs to get and stay healthy. Twellman has to prove himself on the International Stage.

7. Central Defense- Pope has to stay healthy, and we need options. Bocanegra and Garcia are two options, but neither have the experience. Califf is a favorite of Arena's. With Agoos, Llamosa, and Berhalter being on the tail-end of their careers, we could use a couple of players to come forward.

10. Right Midfielder - Olsen is on the road to recovery, but I always wondered even when healthy if his game was good enough. Buddle is an option, and a force, but needs to get back to health and have another year like his last August. A couple of fill-ins like Donovan, Quaranta, or even Reyna could very well happen here.

6. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like what? Gold Cup? Friendlies? US Cup? Ha! What else is there? Copa America is about the only thing I can think of of any value that we might participate in.

I don't care if we finish 3rd in qualifying as long was we get to the big dance and do well. Does anyone care that Brazil finished 4th in COMNEBOL?

7. Serie Zed

Serie Zed Member

Jul 14, 2000
    Arlington
    Re: Re: Re: Milestones on the Road to Germany

Nice.