Miles Davis Recommendations

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Glenwood Lane United, Nov 7, 2004.

1. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    [​IMG]

This is a great movie (Click the pic for the page at Amazon). Unfortunately it's only available on VHS and not DVD, but it has been running somewhat regularly on "Starz Theatre" and on the Encore's "True Stories". I Tivo'd it about 6 months ago the first time I saw it on, and if Santa brings me that DVD recorder I asked for I'll be in business.

2. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    I know this hasn't got sh!t to do with Miles, but I'm listening to Sonny Rollins "Way Out West" cd from about '57 or '58. Rollins on tenor. Ray Brown on bass. And Shelly Manni on drums. What a fantastic release.

As far as I'm concerned Rollins is one of the greatest tenor sax players of all time. What a tone. What a range. And he makes it sound so simple. There's just something about the way he played, as if his horn was alive.

When I used to play, I tried to do my best to sound like Sonny. Of course, my attempts were cheap imitation, but I like to think that I got at least a little close.

3. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    Sonny can flat out play, that's for sure.

Have you ever listened to Johnny Griffin? Try this one:

[​IMG]

available here.

He plays with both Coltrane and Mobley (who I think is very underrated) on this album. Johnny holds his own, I have to say.

4. Real Ray

Real Ray Member

May 1, 2000
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Indeed. A monster tone. The tone on "You Don't Know What Love Is," on "Saxophone Colossus." Whew...

5. Real Ray

Real Ray Member

May 1, 2000
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had a chance to watch this Saturday:
    [​IMG]

Very good. Interviews were so/so. His brother gets the edge as a speaker :p

But Branford can play.

6. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ---
    Lee Morgan ( a personal favorite ) and Mobley played a bunch of gigs together, with Art Blakely and the JM. I have always dug the way Morgan and Mobley sounded together. Morgan is the trumpeter on this Griffin session.

7. Poilu

Poilu New Member

Mar 10, 2004
    Oakland
    The recent reissue, The Complete In a Silent Way Sessions, are beautiful. Worth getting all 3 CDs.

The players, Hancock, Corea, Holland, Shorter, McLaughlin, Tony Williams are all monsters, but meld together in a very spiritual, intense way. A great collection, with no waste.

8. sardus_pater

sardus_pater Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Sardinia Italy EU
    Club:
    Cagliari Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yes, yes though... Tutu is still a very very good fusion album where his trumpet still flied...

Given that I am more inclined to like fusion than traditional classic jazz I can say that Miles Davis actually did compose a lot of outstanding stuff.

I saw him live, it was a fantastic concert. He obviously showed his back as always...

The message being: those who happen to appreciate fusion shouldn't discard late Miles works.

9. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes

Lee Morgan is great. The success of "The Sidewinder" kind of messed him up, though, since he spent the rest of his career chasing it.

On the subject of Mobley: while he is great, "Big" John Patton's version of "The Turnaround" is so much better than Mobley's version. Patton just picks up the tempo a bit, and I think the song sounds so much better with an organ. It's a great song, and Mobley deserves credit for writing it, but Patton put some teeth into it.

10. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Thanks. I'll check it out.

Sorry that this thread has gotten so far off topic. :)

11. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ---
    Yo! Mikey. Just play some changes in B minor ( Phrygian ). That'll get us on track. I like B minor pentatonic for variety.

I have no idea what I'm talking about.

12. Glenwood Lane United

Apr 28, 2001
    Hanover Park, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't be sorry, discussion like this is one of the reasons I started the thread in the first place.