Milan v. Genoa pre/dur/post match [R]

Discussion in 'AC Milan' started by Cassano, Jan 26, 2008.

1. jpick

jpick Member

Jul 5, 2006
    jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    yes, which shows how easily he is creating chances. everyone knows he can finish, but he ain't right now, yet he still has 3 goals in 4 games. that makes it even more impressive in my book. every game for him, milan is getting 2-3 really good chances it seems. that is all the team can ask for. I mean really the napoli game, atalanta game and this one, there were about 5 total chances that he didn't convert which were school-boy stuff. my mouth waters at the thought of him settling in and banging a few of those home.

also, isn't it funny how with pato we don't have as many complaints about service? that is a damning indictment of gila and his poor movement.

@Island

the reason today that we weren't dangerous from corners and free kicks is simple, for the most part the delivery was sub-par at best. pirlo mainly but oddo and seedorf's corners as well. oh well, sometimes it happens.

2. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Today was frustrating, but it's still a much needed win.
    After all the chances in the 1st half, it was nice to see
    Pato's ego get a boost. Genoa isn't exactly a chump side,
    but they didn't have much of a sniff all day.

Why not play 2 strikers up front, Pato and Gila?
    With Kaka right behind them? Maybe Pato isn't a #1 striker?
    Maybe he is better suited as a supporting striker?
    He seems to be able to create for others as well as score.
    Just a thought.

3. jpick

jpick Member

Jul 5, 2006
    jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    maybe, but i'll be honest, given that ronaldo might be out for a little while again, i don't mind giving this 4-5-1 more of a shot personally. maybe pato it could work...

4. Kulspruta

Kulspruta New Member

Jul 26, 2007
    BH, Brazil
    Club:
    Cruzeiro Belo Horizonte
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I've read somewhere that Ancelloti himself thinks this is not Pato's natural role, it seems like he's gonna settle more as some kind of support striker, but still he has quite a presence in the box. Very good header too.

And I really don't mind watching a team without a classical #9, as I grew up watching the 1,67m Romario, his awesome partnership with Bebeto, and Ronaldo who couldn't even head a ball properly. I really wish we get someone as fast as Pato and with a good touch for the future, not some random tank to stand like a pole in the box and tap in some balls.

5. island.

island. New Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Austria
    Club:
    AC Milan
    honestly in the 1st half i had that good old feeling that we can't break through with the christmastree-formation, so i wouldn't mind playing gila alongside pato. especially when we rest seedorf it has to be either gila or gourcuff. i don't see any other offensive options.

on the other hand pato made it work today, but i'm not convinced if we can pull through every game with 1 striker.

6. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    See great minds think alike...lol.

7. kckal

kckal New Member

Jun 22, 2007
    Valparaíso, Chile
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    even the biggest gila sympathizers cant argue against that... sadly, i made an honest attempt to argue against that, since i am probably the last soul on earth still expecting gila to wake up from his slumber and start banging in the goals, but i really could not come up with anything...

admittedly, if you are that fast, the chances are going to be there...

8. jpick

jpick Member

Jul 5, 2006
    jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    true, but it also has to do with type of movement as much as pace itself. pato is probably more instinctive in his movement now, than gila is at nearly 26. versus wider open defenses when you play for parma, this is less of a problem and you will still get your opportunities (and as he showed for parma, when he gets his opportunities, he can finish), but versus bunker defenses when you play for milan, lack of pace and lack of intelligent movement is hard to overcome.

9. odessit19

odessit19 Member+

Dec 19, 2004
    My gun safe
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    I actuall don't mind this formation since Pato is very fast and Seedorf jas more room to roam. I can't wait to have Marek back, but Maldini actually played well today. Pirlo was sub par and Oddo's crossing was sub-par, but his defensive skills were good today.

10. TheGrimSweeper

Jul 16, 2006
    Toronto,Canada
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I think a Pato / Benzema partnership upfront would look pretty awesome :)

11. gcstorm9

gcstorm9 Member

Dec 17, 2001
    Coral Springs, Fl
    Club:
    AC Milan
    agreed wit pato/benzema...but i am also on gila bandwagon..hopefully he comes up sumtime!

12. canzano55

canzano55 Member+

Jun 23, 2003
    Toronto
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I'm happy for Pato like everybody else but this game annoyed me.

It was bad enough that Pirlo, Kaka and Seedorf weren't really on their game but on top of that there was zero innovation in attack so basically it was the Atalanta game all over again except in the second half we got a lucky bounce.

Secondly after the goal was scored there was not a single moment of intent from Carlo to substitute somebody up front. Clearly he could see Kaka and Seedorf were having poor games, why not bring in Gourcuff for christ sakes? What would be the harm in that? Instead he runs both Kaka and Clarence ragged and brings on Emerson and Brocchi which is total overkill. Like we can't hold out a 2 goal lead against Genoa with 10 men?

I swear to God after all these years I still don't get Carlo sometimes; what the hell is the advantage in not rotating players especially when they are the future of the team. Obviously Yoann isn't the complete package yet but give the kid a friggen chance already; he was one of the best U21 France has had in a while and could quite possibly replace Nihat (whatever his name is) in the near future because in all fairness France is desperate for a competent numero 10.

13. island.

island. New Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Austria
    Club:
    AC Milan
    ancelotti said he wanted his counterattack players (kaka, pato) on the field for a second goal, which worked out quite good (red card, 2nd goal). after the second goal (which was pretty late in 82') he wanted to rest the most tired players i guess (pirlo, gattuso, pato). seedorf will be rested in the near future so that's the reason why he stayed i'd imagine.

but generally i agree that ancelotti has a pretty conservative approach. after a static 1st half he did not try any personal changes (i did not see any real tactical changes either but it's hard to tell from a laggy stream), like in the game vs udinese when he brough gila as his first substitue in 80'

well i'm curious about what's going to happen when seedorf is rested. maybe gourcuff gets a shot :eek:

14. AcesHigh

AcesHigh Member+

Nov 30, 2005
    Novo Hamburgo
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I am sure he is still nervous, even tough he 'look" cool.

one thing is to play in a big club (Inter) in which you started your career. The fans just love you and there isnt so much pressure, cuz you grew at the club, you are young, the club didnt really pay $$$$$$$$$ for you, etc.

another is to arrive at one of the biggest clubs in the world, playing at the side of your heroes (Kaka, Ronaldo, Seedorf, etc), with the club president saying to everybody that you will score 30 goals in half a season, and thinking that if you dont score all that, the fans will be REALLY PISSED by the fact Milan paid $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ for you.

Its a tremendous pressure for sure.

15. AcesHigh

AcesHigh Member+

Nov 30, 2005
    Novo Hamburgo
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    it kinda amazes me that everybody is talking only about the attack, but I think Milan´s denfense was quite weak in this match and also past matches. But apparently, the goalkeeper is good... but the rest of defense is still weak.

bye bye Dida. You wont be missed in the Seleção either! :)

16. Milaniac

Milaniac Member

May 12, 2007
    Would you argue that his finishing is good? I'd hope not, and I know he's new to the game but 7 yards out he should be able to net one. Game vs Napoli he had two chances to score in front of net and Seedorf had the 3rd chance and netted it. Game vs Atalanta.....goalie out of position and kicks it wide. Even in this game and the break away and loves to shoot right at the goalie.

17. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Ancelotti never subs Kaka, no matter how bad a game he is having. He's a great player, yes, but he's only human and sometimes he will have bad games.

18. island.

island. New Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Austria
    Club:
    AC Milan
    statistically our defense isn't that bad. only inter conceded less goals than us (with milan having 2 games less). imo nesta is currently italy's best and i don't see anybody really topping him in europe either. kaladze was one of our better players in the first half of the season (so i don't want him bashed because of two bad games :p ). our fullbacks are mostly decent defensivly but horrible going forward.
    so i still would say our strikers are the main problem.

19. CPonder14

CPonder14 Member

Jan 14, 2008
    So basically what your saying is he should have 6 or 7 goals by now? Come on a little too high of expectations?

20. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'm pro-subbing. Every player needs a rest AND more
    importantly, they aren't always on so it keeps their
    ego in check.

21. kckal

kckal New Member

Jun 22, 2007
    Valparaíso, Chile
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

this was true for sheva, while he was here as well...

22. canzano55

canzano55 Member+

Jun 23, 2003
    Toronto
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Thats a retarded sentiment. No player is bigger than the overall well being of the team.

23. kckal

kckal New Member

Jun 22, 2007
    Valparaíso, Chile
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    i finally watched the game, and i have to say, pato needs a few tips from pippo... but the good thing is that, with his pace and his off the ball play, he will keep getting chances, so once he gets his finishing down, he will be amazing...

gila keeps shooting himself in the foot, since he got himself a yellow card, even though he was on the pitch for like 2 minutes, and is now suspended for the reggina game, which he would have more than likely had a starting role in... he is running out of chances and is throwing away the few that he does have...

24. jpick

jpick Member

Jul 5, 2006
    jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    yeah, foolish yellow, now milan is down to one striker for reggina most likely. anyways, i saw a stat that pato has 13 shots on goal in 4 games, yet gila has 12 shots on goal in 16 serie a games. another rather damning statistic. :(

25. Milaniac

Milaniac Member

May 12, 2007
    Without a doubt, as a striker you cannot miss sure goals like these. 5 year olds miss like this, not professionals all alone in the 18 yard box. Pato does have a small finishing problem.