Mikel Arteta is the new Arsenal Manager

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Super Llama, Dec 20, 2019.

1. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    We won't get relegated

This is our real level at the moment.

But give him credit - we aren't losing games.

2. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't say we would get relegated. (In fact, said that's not really in my thoughts at all RN)

Yes defensively we seem better. If that's down to Mikel, then he deserves the credit. But it's probably not 100% him... I think Luiz & Sok had already begun to tighten up their games before him. But maybe he deserves credit for Saka taking over so nicely at LB.

As for what our level is, the margins are so fine in the middle/lower table. We're tied on 31pts with Burnley, Newcastle, Soton. Only 1pt above Palace. So in one weekend we could pretty easily drop 2-4 places.

Draws are better than losses of course, but if that's all we average for the rest of the season, I suspect we'll drop in the table.

Virtually nobody is thinking we'll achieve top 5. But I think he needs to produce some wins soon to calm the natives, and demonstrate progress, i.e. further up the top half.

Maybe the 2 weeks of training will help. Maybe the warm weather break. Maybe someone will start banging in goals with confidence! Maybe, maybe, maybe.

3. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In February no less! This was obvious very early in the season...

I want Arteta fired if he gets us into Europa again. Keep us the hell away from that black pit.

4. footykid

footykid Member+

Jan 10, 2005
    Mississauga, Ont
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I dunno why were aren't using Ozil as a SS at this point.

5. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Might as well.

6. footykid

footykid Member+

Jan 10, 2005
    Mississauga, Ont
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Personally I hate the spacing on our front 3, their starting positions in possession make the whole team so laborious and easy to defend.

I could forgive Laca his shit form in front of goal if he was doing the pressing and passing he did when he first got here. But, I understand the midfield behind is... lacking in movement.

7. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    InTheSun and Super Llama repped this.
  8. InTheSun

InTheSun Member+

Oct 20, 2005
    The Andes Mountains
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    This was good. I can't say it was totally surprising but definitely some data there that deconstructs what we've seen. Meanwhile, I'm reading elsewhere that Emery is boasting to the french media how he stopped the decline of Arsenal.

The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  9. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    This is pretty fascinating Yoss

It confirms a lot of different things we have talked about on here and not just that we became a lower half of the table side, just like Mebe said.

IMO the Ozil analysis is fascinating because it indexes or links his steep decline to many other players.

i.e Everyone's performance plummeted compared to their own benchmarks. That is a big warning sign that something has gone systemically wrong.

This gives a lie to Freddies claim that the players all had such bad attitudes IMO.

Emery was simply a very very bad manager, and the worry has to be that we simply have not replaced the quality we lost in Alexis, Kos, Monreal, Ramsey

Super Llama repped this.
  10. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    it reminds me of the german 2018 world cup data.

There was a lot of finger pointing, but one key stat was that everyone's meterage had collapsed compared to their own 2014 output. Even the supposed hard working players.

That tells you the issue is not a rotten apple or laziness - something has gone completely wrong

maskito repped this.
  11. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    That article is also a great example of how data helps us go behind "ozil and lacazette are shit"

12. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I completely disagree with how he said late wenger was playing balm like Liverpool, that is completely false

but he is right about our awful build up play. Pepe not being a threat to run in behind congests the top of the pitch.

I think the biggest issue is teams can really press us and get in our face and our team struggles to beat a physical press. Lacazette is poor but he’s not getting much opportunity to shoot from good positions due to our poor build up

I’m hoping we bring in the right players this summer. I feel like we need a physical cm, a winger and obviously a striker. I really think a strong and quick player would make a huge difference to our attack and the purchase of a good dribbling creator like buendia

13. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I read this, in the context of the posts just before it, I thought that if you listen to the ArsenalVision podcast you would be liking what Clive says a lot more than what Elliot says. ;)

14. Serengeti_Boy

Serengeti_Boy Member+

Sep 15, 2009
    Serengeti, East Africa
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Tanzania
    Buendia? You're not being serious. Simply because we are tied points with the midtable teams doesn't mean we need to buy similar players. I would take Todd Cantwell though. He's fire.

15. MisplacedSpainard

Apr 5, 2007
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    We should be making a Midfield Maestro our number one priority in summer. Whether he do it physically or technically matters little to me as long as he is effective and preferably two footed (also a goal threat). Look what Santi was able to do and he was not a physical specimen.

I know this would cost a lot and be hard to find much less lure, but if we do not find it we will struggle. If we do find it i suspect many of our more average players would immediately look better and we could work on that press outlet.

16. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Having kind of nerded into this with Rugby and Football in the last few years I am coming around to the idea that the way football clubs handle managerial appointments is quite bad compared to some of the top rugby sides, or the fresher football teams like red bull etc

IMO lived experience is quite critical to the performance culture.

Lots of teams now have the money to sign a competent manager and some decent players. They know how to do this and you can put together a reasonable hard to beat side quickly.

Signing Arteta fixed one issue which is that Arsenal appeared to lack even basic IP of how to do stuff on field, and how to secure the outputs from the players.

But a performance culture is going to take many more months to start to create.

This is also the same reason why Ole can't create one. Just because he experienced one, doesn't mean he knows how to deliver one.

So i have higher hopes for Arteta because he experienced the day to day process from the decision making side

Super Llama repped this.
  17. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    that is such a contradictory and retarded alternative

buendia offers ten times what cantwell does, he’s a mason mount clone that doesn’t protect the midfield

we need a guy who is mobile and plays passes to create chances as ozil is washed up

buendia is quality and can dribble, pass and score

Super Llama repped this.
  18. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We don’t actually know if Özil is washed.

His physical capacity doesn’t appear to be as diminished as we might have guessed if the games under Arteta are any indication.

The chance creation numbers are way down from his prime, but the decline coincides almost exactly with a territorial dominance decline by the team. We are playing the game much closer to our own goal/further from the opposition goal than under Wenger. Özil’s touches in the opposition half have become so comparatively rare there’s really no way to judge his output.

This is why I question whether a great winger, which is often cited as lacking in this side, would make any difference: this midfield can’t control games, so the attackers don’t have enough chances to make the telling contributions.

(Cue accusations of Özil apologism/fanboyism in 3...2...1...)

Walia Ibex, Shen-O, mebeSajid and 2 others repped this.
  19. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    U fckuing fan boy

Super Llama, Tonerl and mebeSajid repped this.
  20. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I also suspect that Ozil's decline is closely linked to the sales of Alexis and Giroud

i thought Auba would be a good fit with Ozil, but as the article stated, maybe Ozil is too deep for it to work

21. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Like I said, our midfield was never good enough for a luxury player

22. Serengeti_Boy

Serengeti_Boy Member+

Sep 15, 2009
    Serengeti, East Africa
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Tanzania
    #122 Serengeti_Boy, Feb 13, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
    Are you claiming that Buendia protects his midfield? I doubt he does more than create up top. Look Big Man, the thing is we deserve better than those two. I suggested Cantwell as he is a goal getter which we lack. If we really wanted, we can mould Duzi, Ceballos etc into playmakers. But they ain't got the strike at goal mayne. They ain't got it.

I suppose you'd like a side of Gerrard Deulofeu and a slice of John McGinn too to add some excitement to our midfield

23. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    You mean the player who had half our goal production? :p