Mikel Arteta is the new Arsenal Manager

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Super Llama, Dec 20, 2019.

1. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    so if we combine arteta's thought that "people inside the club trying to hurt the club" - with regards to leaks - being gone now and the fact that bould has been sacked . . . . . . . . . . . . .

2. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The only thing about Melrose place I know is a big l line

“I represent Harlem world not Melrose place”

The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  3. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Meh…Arteta said they were no longer at the club before this happened.

Also, I see little evidence Bould was any good at his job.

4. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    cool.

jeorge bird agrees with you. said a lot of people praised him and he did well with U18 in the past before tailing off and not so great with U23.

i wanted to see him get more chances/voices during the wenger era. the brief period he was supposedly given charge, we showed some improvements defensively in open play and, especially, set piece.

5. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But we’re way better at set piece defense now than we were then.

6. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    oh, no doubt! i'm extremely happy with that. it's one of the reasons - possibly THE main reason - i'm not on the "arteta out" train.

i was hoping for that bigger role while wenger was about so that wenger can focus on his philosophical stuff while bould could have had us be less porous.

7. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    We are horrendous at scoring off corners and set plays.

But we are utterly ********ing fabulous at defending them.

We get a couple of players in and maybe a better assistant for Arteta that has better nous setting up corners and set pieces and we score a shit load more goals.

Everyone laughed at our cross and inshallah tactics earlier in the season, and rightfully so they were ********ing dumb, but the plays of getting the balls in was spot on.

The fact they were crossing to Laca was the issue. Had we been crossing to Giroud he would have scored 30 goals in 10 matches and we would be sitting pretty.

daedalus repped this.
  8. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really nice assessment of Arteta's tactics at Arsenal thus far...

maskito, thebigman and GunnerJacket repped this.
  9. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

10. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    You see it in his constant coaching on the sidelines. It also helps explain why he fell out with Ozil, preferred Willian to Pepe, until it became obvious to everyone that Willian wasn’t the solution, and was very judicious with Martinelli’s minutes.

DaPrince84 repped this.
  11. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    I remember reading a thing about Pepe, who said its his job to get the ball into the final third and then its up to the players to take it from there. That was from about 5 or so years ago I think, but it hits right.

The best teams let their creative players do their thing. The best we have seen of Ozil was when you got him the ball and let him just make things happen.

12. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I wonder how much of this comes down to Arteta not trusting the players, because they are not very good, and often fail to do the basics.

We got dispossessed the most of any team in the league last season. If we can get players in this summer who can pass, or receive the ball when under pressure, I'm hoping we see Arteta be less controlling, and let the players play. It is not like we have massive expectations of our players wriggling away from challenges like Cazorla, or putting the ball through the eye of a needle. It is the really simple things that they just cannot do, and it is understandable why the manager wants to automate our play as much as possible to make up for that.

Where I fault Arteta is the fact that he can't seem to drill our players in how to do the basics. Maybe the backroom staff isn't good enough, but again that is on him to identify and rectify.

13. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    Where are you getting your stats about Arsenal being dispossessed the most of any team in the league last season? When I looked it up on WhoScored.com Arsenal were actually dispossessed the fewest time per game of any team in the league and they were tied with City for the third fewest unsuccessful touches per game. When combined with the fact that they had the fourth highest passing percentage it seems like they did the basics pretty well. What they didn’t do well was create scoring chances, they were mid table in key passes, assists, and shots. They also had the fourth fewest attempted dribbles per game, which when you consider that Fulham led the league in attempted dribbles isn’t necessarily a bad thing. But both the lack of creativity in the offensive third and low volume of attempted dribbles can be a function of being over coached, of the team structure being to rigid.

yossarian and Tonerl repped this.
  14. cooper7d7

cooper7d7 Member+

Feb 7, 2001
    CT
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Official now ...
    https://www.arsenal.com/news/thank-you-and-good-luck-bouldy

15. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    cantona94 and cooper7d7 repped this.
  16. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
  17. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was either on Blog's podcast or the AV one in which a journalist (Watts or Benge, I can't recall) claimed that it was a bit of a myth that Bould had any real level of control over setting up the defensive tactics, etc., under Wenger.

daedalus repped this.
  18. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't Pat Rice spend 20 years putting out the cones?

19. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Few months old but interesting watch...

Silva 5 repped this.
  20. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure, but someone had to pick them up.

21. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    amy lawrence, i believe, also brought that up on handbrake off.

i think wenger preferred/was more used to rice just being ed mcmahon.

the only time, i think, bould had any real control was after they had a row and bould was put in control of defense for something like 2 weeks. they did improve for that period . . . before wenger took control back and bould went back to be cone manager.

yossarian repped this.
  22. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Having just won 3 out of 3 matches for Sept, Mikel has fairly predictably been voted Manager of the Month in the EPL. Well done!

I've heard that this award has a reputation as being a bit of a curse. Don't know the statistical truth to that, but here's hoping it won't prove out in this case!

23. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    Its literally just Spurs fans saying that because their soon to be fired manager won it earlier this season.

NorthBank repped this.
  24. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  25. cooper7d7

cooper7d7 Member+

Feb 7, 2001