Mikel Arteta is the new Arsenal Manager

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Super Llama, Dec 20, 2019.

1. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    i agree with those points. and because those were specifically his flaws, when both wenger and oxlade-chamberlain himself kept talking about him in the middle, it threw me.

don't get me wrong: i LIKED him. seriously. given space outside, he can be productive/useful. and, like i've said before, if he was given explicit instructions and teachings, i always felt he could have been quite good.

just . . . not in the middle. WTF.

2. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    We’re in agreement on most of this, but I was discussing whether Arsenal’s pre or post Boxing Day form is more representative of their potential, not Arteta’s player decisions.

Nothing was gained from Arteta’s decision to start Willian and Nketiah in the FA Cup, but that decision has very little to do with their post Boxing Day league form. It would also be nice if Martinelli got Willian’s minutes, but Arteta hasn’t relied upon either in the second half of the season.

3. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's sort of sad, because he had skills that could have been molded into an exciting and useful player. But for whatever reasons he and his coaches thought he should have been something else.

4. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    The real issue was '10s era Wenger who stunted the careers of numerous midfielders from Wilshere to Ramsey to Ox. he didn't understand some of the fundamentals of modern midfield play

Super Llama repped this.
  5. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    "yoga" and a high end doping programme

6. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Wilshere's best skill was his carries - so probably should have been a pure 8 IMO, with Ramsey as the 8.5

All this comes back to the problem that Wenger refused to buy 3 midfielders who could play together

daedalus repped this.
  7. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    So are you suggesting the Arsenal medical team wasn’t up to standard because they didn’t have a high end doping program?:D:D

8. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Yes - i've argued that for ages. Our "medical" team are crap. Look at Leicester for what a properly juiced team with high end doping doctors can achieve.

it's amazing how shady some of this stuff was looking at Bayern who also had huge issues with injuries. Many of the team including Robben and Schweini were seeing a private doctor who is also the DFB doctor. He's known for his injections. Pep changed all that. Of course Pep's teams, beginning with his elite Barca side, are juiced to the gills.

Super Llama repped this.
  9. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep. A proper #6 with an injury free Wilshire & Ramsey would have made an amazing MF in a 4-3-3.

10. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't forget that Pep got busted for doping when he was a player! And the Operation Puerto records supposedly included season-long plans for RM and Barca.

The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  11. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    He wasn’t a good footballer.

And like it has been said before, Wenger was never the right coach for teenaged footballers. He either overplayed them or gave too much freedom. He got ideas above his station the last decade at the club, which is a big reason why the youth academy nosedived.

Wenger was a great professor for upperclassmen in college, but he fancied himself as a high school principal when he wasn’t.

12. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Wenger was a good guy offensively as Ibeleive he let players have freedom

defensively he was terrible after the great players he inherited left until we managed to sign Campbell and partner vieira with another elite protector in silva

football is more about the roles and player types blending than anything. We have been dysfunctional for years

ramsey as an offensive cm with ozil as a ten was awful. Song making too many forays forward in the cesc as a ten days etc

now we have an issue with either two strikers playing in a single striker system or left back backups using there right foot (unless saka plays there)

I just wish the basics could be adhered too. Inside forwards mean wide fullbacks

2 competent cms who can progress the ball and have mobility in a 4231

The right combo of forwards (Laca suits this formation more than auba who is an off the shoulder striker)

13. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    it's always bothered me how much credit he got as a "developer of talent" when bergkamp, henry, and van persie have said in interviews that his "coaching" of them consisted of him asking them to think about, "how can you be better?" that's great with a bergkamp, henry, van persie, and vieira. but your pennant, your bentdner, and your oxlade-chamberlain don't have anywhere to go with that.

you're spot on with the college upperclassmen vs high school students analogy, though. essentially all the success came from someone getting an education elsewhere that took the next step given the freedom from wenger and the players surrounding them. the exceptions may be ashley cole (who was said to have been taught by tony adams) and fabregas who, essentially, was educated from la masia.

14. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    no doubt, no doubt. but his pass from the back was damn fine, too. like, literally, he could have just left wilshere back there and not buy xhaka for the same role.

it seemed like after the debacle with diarra, he just developed an aversion to defensive midfielders.

Super Llama repped this.
  15. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But Cesc was never as good anywhere other than Arsenal.

Surely there’s more nuance to assessing Wenger’s legacy of talent development than ‘good for some weird definition of certain age with unlimited potential combined with some certain amount of career establishment’ that gets trotted out.

casoccerdad47 repped this.
  16. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    While Nasir wasn’t an academy product he arrived at Arsenal at 21 and he was never as productive anywhere else either. Wenger let creators create and when they had to play elsewhere in a more structured system their production fell. He may have won more titles if he had instilled more structure, but I enjoyed the freedom he allowed his players.

17. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    henry was never as good anywhere other than arsenal. nor vieira. nor nasri. etc. the list is not short. i never said his allowance for freedom does not allow players - especially capable, smart creative players - to excel and be able to show their abilities off more than at other clubs.

my point had nothing to do with "some weird definition of certain age with unlimited potential combined with some certain amount of career establishment" it was and remains that the players who flourished under his supposed "guidance" did so because they were frequently extraordinary talent who had the mindset and mentality to improve more so than because he coached them or taught them to become better players.

again, as i said earlier, you challenge an henry, a bergkamp, a van persie, or a fabregas to go and think about what would make them better players and they will go and do so. did he help and was a part of that development process? absolutely. he allowed them to do what they will and allowed their talent to flesh out as well as it could (rather than, say, them being stuck on an allardyce or a pulis team).

but "development" style does not help the likes of pennant (and, shoot, i cannot remember the dude's name from the same time frame who was supposed to be a stud prospect on the right wing) and bendtner because they thought they knew already. it does not help oxlade-chamberlain who you could see knew he needed to learn and was thirsting for instruction but does not get them.

The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  18. Silva 5

Silva 5 Member+

Mar 10, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If memory serves me right Cesc was played as an 8 here, but when he went to Barca they played him as a 10 or even a false 9 is that correct?

Peak-Cesc era saw us run something like this...

-----------Adebayor----RVP-------------
    -Rosicky----Flamini--Cesc----Hleb---

19. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Damn Arsenal had talent in those days

Serengeti_Boy repped this.
  20. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    IMO Wenger slowly fell behid the waves of innovation that swept football.

1. 1996 - 2005 Wenger As Innovator: Able to source great talent, and combine with creative, playmaker football in a tactically unsophisticated league where teams play very open 4-4-2 systems

2. 2004- Aggressive transitions/Counter: Jose arrives with his aggressive transitional system - also adopted at teams like Utd. League is defensively improved and competes at the highest level in Europe. Arsenal still competitive again by 2007-8 having switched to 4-3-3

3. 2009- Pep-ball: Guardiola emerges with new ideas to re-establish superiority of possession based football against countering sides. Arsenal are relatively mediocre in these Barca-lite years before recovering to some kind of peak in 2013. This era is notable for the general lack of managerial quality in the EPL

4. 2015 - The German School: A new hybrid begins to emerge during Pep's time at Bayern, drawing on german countering, spanish positional and possession, pressing etc (See especially Germany at world cup 2014). Especially with the arrival of all of Klopp, Jose and Pep in the league - Wenger is revealed as a dinosaur manager.

If you ask me - Wenger's true peak was the playmaker era, where you put talented players on the pitch and let them do their thing. But Pep showed how ultimately creativity needs to be constrained within a system that helps the players on the field. These systems have become increasingly sophisticated and Arsenal fell far behind in these areas.

21. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Interesting the same developments happened in Rugby, just 10 years sooner.

Defensive systems got so intense that attacking teams got countered to death

But eventually attacking terms worked out patterned play where they probe for openings using a set of solutions - and then when am opportunity is spotted, things become unstructured.

But this also means almost any player needs the skillset to exploit a weakness when it appears.

22. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    he was a ten at Arsenal his last three seasons.

daedalus and thebigman repped this.
  23. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I’m gonna disagree about the 433 @The Jitty Slitter

In 2008 we played a box like 442 with cesc and flamini in the middle and rosicky left side and hleb right (Theo was used a lot as well)

eduardo was actually the main striker with adebayor playing a lot of games and rvp rotating

we switched the season after to a 4231 with Arshavin and nasri coming in. Cesc still played deeper but at times he played the ten. Especially after nasri left

we had our best times imo under late Wenger management when we had

.............rvp

Arsh...cesc.....Theo

.....denilson...song

and the usual back 4. Imo the problem always was with Wenger is he never changed it vs the big sides away. Sometimes u have to play a more negative counter attacking side and the only time he adapted was in 06 when we got to the cl final.

this is what kills me about the revisionism of Wenger, he peaked nearly 20 years ago and didn’t adapt to tactical requirements. Mourinho absolutely dominated us with his horrible low block counter and pep and Ferguson destroyed us multiple times with incisive attacks and dominating games with players who held position in midfield unlike song etc

you even saw it in the last cl years when Bayern humiliated us. No press, too many small technical forwards and no runners. Positionally poor fullbacks etc

24. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But you can see how this argument is self-fulfilling, right? When Wenger players turn out to be all-time great, it was because their mentalities were ideally suited to his methods, but if a Wenger player fails, it was because his methods didn’t work for them.

But maybe Jermaine Pennant and David Bentley and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain just weren’t that good.

daedalus repped this.
  25. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I wouldn't say that Wenger particularly developed players like Vieira, Henry, Bergkamp, Overmars, Petit - these were already elite players.

Also it also became much harder for Wenger to recruit talented "unknown" players and young players from around europe once the EPL woke up to the true value of young talent.