Mike Petke

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by Toad_of_Toad_Hall, Aug 6, 2009.

1. Toad_of_Toad_Hall

Toad_of_Toad_Hall New Member

Apr 17, 2006
    A state of confusion
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Struggling to find any positives in this shambles of a season, I think of Mike.
    Many/most of us on here (raises hand :eek: ) were like "WTF!" when they acquired him: "again?", "he's HOW old?", etc. blah blah.

Well, he's been decent or better almost every time he's been in there. The image of him heading a sure goal off the line in Colorado, when Bouna was off on one of his excursions :mad:, will stay with me for a long time.

Without Mike we'd be even deeper in the shyte than we are ... and how's that for damning with faint praise? ;)

2. j1mbr0wn

j1mbr0wn Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Newark, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's got heart. That's all I can say right now.

3. phillips10

phillips10 New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cranford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    he's one of our few non-embarassing players, tho not a starter on a good MLS side.

4. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last year Harry Redknapp said it very well when he questioned whether his squad had the "type" of players needed to win a regulation dogfight. Above all he was saying he need players that could get up not just for Man United or Arsenal but for Stoke and Hull as well and that the players in question possesed the charecter to fight.

Petke is a dogfighter, as is Woly. No matter what and no matter what their limitations as players are...they wont get out worked or lack the heart needed to win these dogfights.

5. j1mbr0wn

j1mbr0wn Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Newark, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I were coach or GM, I'd fire anyone that didn't have the attitude Petke and Woly have. Normally, they both make others play better around them.

I'm just really frustrated that their mojo aint working on this bunch of idiots.

6. ag nigrin

ag nigrin Member

Mar 4, 2002
    NJ, USA
    +1 I tried to Rep you Toad but I need to spread it around more... I think Woly is in the same category as Petke....

7. ag nigrin

ag nigrin Member

Mar 4, 2002
    NJ, USA
    +1 I tried to Rep you too J!m but I need to spread it around more...

8. ag nigrin

ag nigrin Member

Mar 4, 2002
    NJ, USA
    +1 Tried to Rep you too too Onion but I need to spread it around more...

9. Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess Member

Jan 6, 2000
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd name Petke my Captain immediately if I was the new coach.

10. Toad_of_Toad_Hall

Apr 17, 2006
    A state of confusion
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmmm ... I like that :)

11. foolovsky

foolovsky Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think one of the things that appeal to so many of us about soccer is its diversity. It's great to watch a team from Norway square off with another from Romania in the Euro Cup. It's even better to see Nigeria take on Argentina in the World Cup. Each country has its own footballing culture.

This is much less pronounced in the major American sports leagues. Sure the Patriots are known for being well organized, disciplined and over-achievers. The Niners used to play the West Coast offense exclusively. But even these cultures are short lived. Coaches and players are recycled throughout the league until no team has its own culture anymore. An NBA game is never a clash of styles--it's all the same style executed by different players.

Which brings me to my point. This team lacks a culture. And that's not just be groaning for the days of the Cosmos and for some history. I could care less about history. What I (and I think most other fans) want is an identity. It seems like there are two ways to go here. We can either become a team that relies on foreign talent (players that stick around for a few years and leave) or we can become focused on local talent. In the latter case, players would develop with a Red Bull culture through our youth system (or they would be molded in the reserves after we draft them). When they get to the senior team they would already have that culture. If we stick to plan A (as we have for the last fifteen years it seems) we will never develop a culture of our own.

So let's keep players like Petke, Stammler, Wolyniec, Richards instead of trading them for salary cap space or draft rights. Imagine if we had done so with Clark, Bradley, Dunivant, Wynne, Gaven, Mathis, Magee, Quaranta, Kovalenko, etc. Sure they weren't all great but they had connections to the club. Instead, we have Rojas, Boyens, Oebster, Celades and the rest. I think even if we had the same record with those guys it wouldn't be a pain to watch.

12. Toad_of_Toad_Hall

Apr 17, 2006
    A state of confusion
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great post and I agree with most all of what you've said.

This cracks me up though:

The very definition of English football; journeyman managers especially :D

13. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    Woly
    Petke
    Hall
    Cepero
    Stammler
    Borman
    Angel

I'll give a Pacheco a mention right now, because he wanted to be here.

These are the guys who I believe are the hard workers on this club.

14. Chewie23

Chewie23 Member

Nov 14, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No Goldthwaite or Mendes?

15. Toad_of_Toad_Hall

Apr 17, 2006
    A state of confusion
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree; neither a superstar but belong on the list. Goldy can be great for stretches but then comes up with a mind-blowing gaffe like last match. Carlos is unspectacular but steady and seems always willing to do his best for the team.

IMHO Mbuta could become one of these hard workers if he was given half a decent chance :mad:

16. NYCfan

NYCfan New Member

Aug 25, 2006
    NYC, New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ten bucks Mbuta is on Phillys opening day roster.

I wouldn't add Goldthwaite, just my opinion. He's a player that relies on thuggery and cynical fouls, luckily MLS refs are piss poor and don't call half the fouls he commits, to make up for poor positioning and slowness of thought. And at 27 years of age, he isn't getting any younger, if he hasn't learned any of that or how not to try and complete a square pass in his own box with a forward shadowing him, then he never will.

Way too many brain farts in his career here that have cost games. A decent GM can find better.

Again just my opinion.

17. Chewie23

Chewie23 Member

Nov 14, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I kind of disagree, I thought before his injury, Goldthwaite was having a career year. Petke had a mess up at the beginning of the season where he couldn't control the ball, and cost the RB a goal, and found him self on the bench for the next 3 games.

Boyens how ever sucks.

Every team has its "enforcer" type player. And Goldthwaite is the NY Enforcer IMO.

18. gibroni

gibroni BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 2, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    So you think RB should sign Michael Vick???:eek:

19. Onionsack

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is available i hear. :cool: And he plays football..bonus!

20. Onionsack

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dema was an enforcer...Goldie i don't see it. Not that it was for a lack of trying Wednesday..he should have seen straight red of intentionally cleating the back of the W.Connection player. That wasn't enforcing..down a goal already in a game you need a result and risking going down a man after being the guy who is wearing the goat horns as it is for the juvinille pass///...that is just stupid.

21. Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess Member

Jan 6, 2000
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree, Goldberg is turing into Petrocardo right in front of our eyes. Stupid plays always near him it seems, if he is in position.