Miguel Borja - news and comments

Discussion in 'Colombians Abroad' started by Doogs, Feb 9, 2017.

1. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    a penalty agsint brasil in a wc

2. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Agree. Well said

3. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    I disagree with this. If anything, while no one negates Duvan's physicality, it's Bacca that can pull away defenders and create danger in spaces. His finishing isn't always there (and can be greedy at times) but go back and watch his connection with James vs Ecuador (a team that at the time was dominating the WCQ). The guy was brilliant. It's very very very difficult to have a guy not perform at club level and then perform at NT. It happens(ex; Abel, Sanchez,CZapata) solely because the coach has a desperate need in a position that just can't be filled by a better player.

A player like Zapata is an "in the box presence" that will break down defenders but so does Falcao. I need that 2nd striker to constantly be a threat all to himself without taking away fro Falcao's attributes. We're not Eastern European teams that drive down the flanks and solely look for their strikers (ala Poland). We have much more build up play.

As a defender, you can't look past at a guy like Bacca who has had so many solid seasons, consistently since coming to Europe (including this year). You can't just ignore his numbers based on some magic skillset that may or may not happen. I also love Duvan's highlight reel vs Juve where he takes on a bunch of defenders and scores but that's not an everyday thing with him.

pepinointer repped this.
  4. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    Bacca was brilliant in that Ecuador game but in so many other games he was really poor. Falcao and Bacca are our best finishers but Bacca doesn't offer really much else in our buildup, Duvan would offer more occupying defenders and holding play up really well, so would Borja. We should respect Bacca's skillset and what he brings to the table, but I'm just not sure we can have he and Faclao who both are pure finishers, especially when they can't play together and we most likely will need to play a 2 forward system to get the best out of Falcao. I'd feel bad about leaving Bacca out because I think he gives everything and has had a great year at club but I think it might be necessary.

5. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Lots of stuff was also going on with Bacca 2016-2017 year (injuries, issues @ Milan , etc). Add to it that Colombia was also not generating so many chances because our main #10 was also having his own issues, the ball was rarely getting to a point of attack. Or we would be way predictable as Fabra was still making adjustments and Cuadrado was not effective. Our MF line of Sanchez and Dani/Barrios were also struggling as there was no one to carry out options in build up play. Let's be honest here, NO ONE really looked that great in this WCQ cycle. We showed moments of brilliance and won the games we had to win mostly against 'accessible' opponents but this team limped throughout the process, not just a Bacca issue.
    Now, here I am, the biggest stage in the world and THIS is where I choose to improvise players? Unless there is really a significant drop in form or injury why would a manager risk another spot on another player that hasn't had the mileage? We all love "x" style of players. The type that bring something different and can change a game for you instantly. But the entire team can't be based on "x" unknown without risking/considering the negative side of what that "x" brings.
    Had Bacca been coming in last summer you would have a legit case but I really think the guy has had a consistent season in a very competitive league with a team fighting for Euro Spots all season. His compatriot, Roger, has had a difficult time adjusting so far so it's not so easy to slot into a new team and do what Bacca can do. Personally, I wouldnt cry over Zapata being chosen over Bacca but Pekerman tends to be very disciplined, with HIGH loyalty toward his players. With that basis, all logic would dictate that he will choose a player he knows what he can and can't expect vs one that is unproven. Remember, first job is to get points from 3 official games. Everything after that is gravy.

6. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    Again, a lot of theory in what you're saying. However, this ability to pull defenders and create space is precisely why those of us you're arguing against are pushing for Duvan, not Bacca.

People fell in love with Duvan when he started next to Falcao in Lima. Not only did he play well (he was a monster, really); but Falcao and all the other attacking players got a lot more liberty because of how much hassle Duvan gave the Peruvian defense. He had a dynamic performance that we've never seen from Bacca, and made everybody else look better in the process. We completely lost control of that match when he got subbed out.

Before you or someone else comes to Bacca's defense--I know he's a big reason why we're in Russia. He contributed with important goals and important assists. However, with Bacca, you only ever note his presence on the match when goals are scored. Besides that, he's often a non-factor and gets frustrated that he's un-involved. He'll lose balls easily, try to make silly pivots and back heels, and get roughed up in hold-up play.

The logical response to this would be: don't goals matter more than anything else? Absolutely they do. However, we already have our target man in Falcao, and Falcao ain't going nowhere. If Falcao was unavailable for this tournament, not only would Bacca be on the final roster, he'd probably start. With things as they are, Colombia struggles more to create chances than to put them in.

We need to make things as easy for James and Falcao to do their thing as possible. If you wish to do that with 2 strikers on the field, that 2nd striker should be Duvan, not incognito Bacca. Forget theory, forget clubs. Look at how they've done for Colombia.

7. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Furnaccio and villus repped this.
  8. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I feel happy for Borja. Seems like he may make the cut.

9. GavoCol

GavoCol Member

May 12, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Tiro su camiseta a la tribuna y se la devolvieron

10. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Goal in libertadores, 7 in the tournament:

1027738719636402176 is not a valid tweet id

sidspaceman and J-Mezzy repped this.
  11. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    sidspaceman and jay luis repped this.
  12. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    He's gotto be our main striker for the next process. Falcao can hold the fort but we have to start transitioning to this guy.

pepinointer repped this.
  13. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    and to think he had such a terrible start to his career at palmeiras in his first season.

14. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Not so bad.......like same rate of goals and asissts of duvan in italy.....that the media try to make great.

Doogs repped this.
  15. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    That first goal is a lot harder then it looks, he concentrated really well with a defender whiffing and a deflection. Good striker instincts there.

16. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Think this young lassie can bring about some fun in next yers' copa america?

17. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    yup those were some top #9 reflexes. You really need to be awake

18. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Great goals.
    Hope he keeps it up.

19. Baal88

Baal88 Member+

May 10, 2008
    Medellin
    Club:
    Independiente Medellin
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Gol de Borja contra Chapecoense. Atropellado y feo pero gol HP. Lo pueden ver en el minuto 3:00.

20. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    crzdcolombian repped this.
  21. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Goal in libertadores agaist colo colo....

He complete 9 goals and he is the top scorer of the tournament....

I think he will be the top scorer at the end of this editioon...hope in june or january he could move to europe finally....

J-Mezzy repped this.
  22. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Is he playing in the league as well?

If you guys have the Fox app on Apple TV prob the same on android but it gives you fox deportees. Looks way way better then it does on directv now

23. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I just realize that he can up his 9 goals a few more times. Sure he won't reach the all top 17 but it would be something to reach 10 which is something rare in the last few decades and be really something if he goes beyond 10. I think the last top goal scorer to go over 10 was 2000 with 15 goals.

24. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    1062867942088564737 is not a valid tweet id

HomietheClown, Doogs and ryu79 repped this.
  25. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    ryu79, Froboy69, kromekote and 2 others repped this.