Midfield Problems

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by naggi, Feb 18, 2004.

1. naggi

naggi Member

Feb 15, 2002
    san francisco
    With Parlour and Gilberto out for potentially extended periods, we are going to have to re-jigger the midfield. We can still play with Ljunberg-Vieira-Edu-Pires, assuming Freddie recovers soon, but what do we do for cover? Reyes can play in midfield as well, but I think we will not have enough bite. Perhaps Kanu can deputize as well.

With the number of games coming up, especially in the CL, it's looking a bit bleak.

2. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Move Toure up and put Clichy in at Toure's spot

3. KingHenryXIV

KingHenryXIV New Member

Jan 31, 2004
    Univ. of Arkansas
    a very good question. don't forget about bergkamp not in the away leg of the CL.

i've always been an admirer of pires more centrally. reyes on the wing anyone?

what else do we have?

4. hemariva

hemariva New Member

Feb 22, 2003
    Missouri
    Sorry, but I always thought Bergkamp's not flying was very unprofessional. They pay him all kinds of money and he can't even play in some of Arsenal's most important matches.

I'm not up-to-date on Arsenal's recent history, but has there ever been a result they could have possibly gotten with Bergkamp but did not?

5. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    There seems to be a consensus around here that the Ljungberg-Vieira-Edu-Pires four in midfield is the best lineup we can put out anyway, so it may be a blessing in disguise this weekend. Parlour's out for a while, but Gilberto is quoted as saying that he doesn't think his injury is too bad. Reyes/Clichy/Bentley can cover the wing positions and Toure could be moved into centre midfield as a stop-gap if absolutely neccessary with Cygan or Keown filling in at centre back. Clichy may be needed at left-back at the weekend anyway after Ashley Cole went off injured playing for England last night. If we get another injury in the midfield it's a problem, but as of now I think we're just fine.

6. Nate2L

Nate2L New Member

Jul 21, 2001
    PA
    i thought keown was injory sometime during or shortly after the carling cup semi either way i would prefer him not to get in unless we are despert because he was horrendous again middlesbrough.

7. juice013

juice013 New Member

Mar 28, 2003
    Toronto
    With Ljungberg back now, you can also have him on the right, move Pires into the middle with Paddy, and run Reyes on the left. That still leaves you with Edu on the bench too, so I would say there isn't a problem right now. I would actally like to see this midfield on Saturday because it would give Reyes more touches, and having him and Henry flying down the left side would surely have Melchiot s**tting bricks.

8. juice013

juice013 New Member

Mar 28, 2003
    Toronto
    Oh, and please, no suggestions that have Keown in the lineup. I'd rather Arsene play back there himself.

9. goonerob

goonerob New Member

Jan 29, 2004
    north london
    As usual the brazillian coach was mis-quoted what he meant was 'bert might not make Arsenal's next match on saturday'. There is a chance he might even play on saturday same situation applies to Freddie.I think cole is out though.

10. Jasonisimo

Jasonisimo New Member

Jun 3, 2003
    Boston
    If Freddie can't go, and depending on other injuries (Cole's out?), Arsene might just as easily play this:

Toure--Cygan--Campbell--Cole/Clichy
    (the back line when Lauren was injured earlier and Arsenal did alright--didn't lose, anyway.)

Lauren(!) (he's a Mid anyway)--Edu--Vieira--Pires

..................Henry & Bergkamp

Not much for cover in the center of midfield, but Kanu has deputized there before and will come on only if there are injuries. Reyes will start? I don't think so, not yet.

Remember Lauren's icer at the Bridge in the FA Cup replay?

11. mixmastermatt

mixmastermatt Member

Nov 18, 2003
    St Albans, England
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    there is the pissabolity of pascal playing on the wing again like he did against man city but i think probally not!

i think the line up will be:

-------------------lehman---------------------
    lauren--------toure--------campbell-------clichy
    reyes---------edu----------viera----------pires
    -----------bergkamp------henry---------------

bench: stack, cygan, hoyte, kanu, bentley

manager: arsene wenger,lol

12. AmericanGunner

AmericanGunner New Member

Sep 7, 2003
    U.S.A.
    The main worry is center mid. We have 4 center mids (Vieira, Silva, Edu and Parlour), 2 are out. We can't afford any injuries to Vieira or Edu till Silva is ready. And he should be ready in a week or so. The attacking midfielder positions are okay. Pires, Freddie, Reyes, and if need be Clichy (he played it in the Birmingham game).

Its a short term problem. Silva will be back, Freddie will be fit and as a last resort we can recall Pennant back to play right attacking mid. Bentley can play in games where the opponent isn't as tough.

13. asfoolasiam

asfoolasiam New Member

Jul 2, 2001
    Takoma Park
    Club:
    DC United