MiddleSeason: The Freddy Adu Thread

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by dark knight, Jun 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    Taken at face value those quotes are right on the money. Only one is a coach and I don't think either were expecting a polished player. They both understand how Freddy got where he was.

2. chalaron

chalaron Member+

Aug 15, 2006
    Baton Rouge, Louisia
    just picking on ya man. From the Bradley thread where you were claiming ppl thought he'd walk in and start at Arsenal. I was just joking around though :p

It was a Simpsons reference where principal skinner said "Good morning class. A certain...agitator...for privacy's sake let's call her...Lisa S. No, that's too obvious...uuuh, let's say L. Simpson has raised questions about certain school policies. So, in the interest of creating an open dialogue, sit silently and watch this film."

3. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    You should check back, at least one guy was posting that just today or yesterday.

4. chalaron

chalaron Member+

Aug 15, 2006
    Baton Rouge, Louisia
    but as has been discussed in the past Benfica did not do a good job loaning him out. Monaco's coach had no intention of playing him, you'd think the Benfica ppl would have figured that out before they sent him there. I think that's the point that the OP was trying to make.

5. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    I'm guessing someone who could tie his shoes.

Really, he chested the ball, it popped over his shoulder (did he really mean to do that), he ran around his defender, passed it, got it back when another defender kicked it towards him, and then he crossed it. It was nothing special. He has done special things, but that certainly wasn't one of them.

6. Kyonn

Kyonn New Member

Dec 24, 2004
    Fine but what about Belenese? The manager seemed to really want Adu, until he got there. Or now Aris, Cuper seemed to want Adu now he doesn't. Can you really keep blaming this all on Benfica?

7. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    You're wrong, it was something special. So was that move against PAOK posted earlier. That was the result of an off first touch also. Doesn't matter. If you think it's nothing then you must be hanging out with Ronaldinho all day, otherwise you just don't get it.

8. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    Tell me why or how it was something special.

9. CenterLine

CenterLine Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone have any Idea where Freddy is going? Why is he still in Greece if he isn't in the plans of Cuper? Is he hoping against hope that somehow Cuper wants him back or Aris fails to sign a left winger/midfielder?

10. Erlking

Erlking Member

Aug 7, 2007
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand you may not like the quote, but Fabregas developed as part of Barcelona's youth academy. Freddy did not have a similar training during pre-professional development. I think the point trying to be made is that graduation to a senior level leaves little room for formative player tactical training and development. There is pressure to assemble a team that wins now, undeveloped potential is not very valuable under this pressure.

11. Kyonn

Kyonn New Member

Dec 24, 2004
    Well said. This is exactly the point I was trying to make when I said that the first team is not a place for a player to develop. There's just to much pressure on the team and manager to win now.

12. Erlking

Erlking Member

Aug 7, 2007
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Freddy Adieu?

13. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    Look, nobody receives the ball on their chest inside the penalty area with a man on their back, and then suddenly has the ball at their feet on the other side of the man. Especially not by popping the ball over him in zero space with a lot of men back. That's magic. I don't care if he meant to do it or not. He reacted to what was happening faster than his defender. Ronaldinho would be saying, did you see that sht?

But like I said, I'm impressed with other stuff that you'd say are even more nothing than that.

14. giffenbone

giffenbone Member

Jan 22, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    Adu-de, wheres my team?

15. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I love how these threads turn out! LOL

16. babieca

babieca Member

Jul 12, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

winner!

17. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    Reacting - I'll give you. Magic, no way. Ronaldinho being impressed? Yeah, sure.

18. Erlking

Erlking Member

Aug 7, 2007
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah almost to 1000, Freddy Adu threads...like Big Soccer heroin.

19. DMTerp02

DMTerp02 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Annapolis, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So...something like 100 posts since this morning. Did anything actually happen or is it just you clowns arguing over nothing again? I'm half joking.

20. lynne

lynne Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Then make the point that Freddy didn't have the advantage of being born in Spain and going to the Barcelona youth academy. Don't say it's because he CHOSE to turn professional at the age of 14. Freddy didn't have Xavi's options; whatever tactical training he picks up is in spite of the limited options he had in the US.

It isn't in the interest of the people writing those articles to stress how little the US can do for finesse players. So I disagree with the concept. Too much blaming Freddy for things he couldn't control. (though somehow Messi wound up in Barcelona's academy....)

Hopefully someday Freddy will write a book and say what happened at Belenenses.

21. lynne

lynne Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    I liked Purg-Adu-tory better.

22. giffenbone

giffenbone Member

Jan 22, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    no votes for mine? :( :p

23. Erlking

Erlking Member

Aug 7, 2007
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The point made in the article is that regardless of the reason for Freddy's lack of early development, it is the opinion of his coaches that this (along with physical issues with speed and size) is reason for his problems at the senior level.

With respect to the source of this problem, it was Freddy's choice to go pro at the age of 14. One could question whether Freddy did not have other options, since he had attracted the interests of clubs in Europe at a young age, with reports of offers from Inter when he was 10.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/si_online/news/2003/03/03/freddy/

24. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    You mean it wasn't like 100 posts?

25. GOYA-GOYA

GOYA-GOYA Member

Dec 15, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team: