Middlesbrough signs US Starlet???

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by GCSOCCER19, Oct 19, 2003.

1. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's how that guy from the Charleston Battery hooked up with the Revolution right?

2. str8ruckus

str8ruckus New Member

Sep 10, 2001
    Phoenix, Az US
    Dude would need A LOT more than 5mil.

3. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bitter,bitter,bitter....... :)

4. soccerhooligan33

soccerhooligan33 New Member

Oct 31, 2002
    Clifton, VA
    I don't know much about England geography but they train in Darlington.

5. abw

abw Member+

Nov 10, 1999
    Athens, GA
  6. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    European Soccer Prospects

Yes, it is.

The off-the-radar part has been seized upon by some as evidence of poor U.S. youth scouting -- guys we never heard of who are good enough to be signed in Europe.

But this doesn't really stand up to facts. The real issue is the EU passport. Whether well-known among U.S. youth circles (Spector, Szetela) or not (Cooper, Gerstenberger), a U.S. kid who has regional-level ODP talent and the good luck to have an EU passport can probably get a European slot.

While 9 kids out of 10 in the U.S. who are just as good but who don't have an EU passport must stay at home.

7. BuffloSoldier

BuffloSoldier BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
  8. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know what I love about that article, Bufflo?

One of the few journos who actually references the rule.

9. owendylan

owendylan Member

May 30, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Well in an oversimplified way yes he does. But as we saw with the actual ruling inside the EU this isn't true. If this player has an EU passport than I think this part would apply to him and he should be able to be signed as per FIFA regulations. Rarely is the country of residence the issue but nationality and national association registrations are more important when regarding the status of a player.

10. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
  11. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I look forward to the day when we can financially outmuscle the euro clubs for Promising young players... ;)

12. bostonsoccermdl

Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    This makes no sense. The only reason he would mention the rule, is in fact he didnt have an EU passport. If he does, he falls into the Spector and Szetela camp, and age means nothing...

Either he doesnt have the EU passport or he does, which is it?

13. GersMan

GersMan Member

May 11, 2000
    Indianapolis
    You must have REALLY good eyesight.

14. old boy

old boy New Member

Jul 8, 2003
    Maine
    So what happens when Malcom Glazier (the owner of the Tampa Bay Bucs) finishes buying up Man. U. one bite at a time? Doesn't George Clooney own Como in Italy? Now that's a global economy. Would the work permit rules apply if Man. U. was owned by an American? Can the Home Office tell Microsoft or Xerox how many foreigners they can have on the payroll?

15. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    No, just like they can't tell any football team how many foreigners they can have. What the home office can do is establish the minimum requirements for foreign nationals to work in Britain. Microsoft, Xerox, insert company here cannot hire someone to work in Britain that does not qualify for a work permit from the Home Office.

16. bostonsoccermdl

Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I am in good with a cloning biotech. I plan on being around for awhile...

17. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I have two kids that play soccer every saturday. I must tell you that i seen a lot of kids 10-15 that have some amazing skills. Now this is only what i can see here in my township. Imagine the entire country. Imagine how much resources we would need to get this kids identified and then bring them together for better training and all that.
    Unfortunately this system is not in place for lack of funds or resources. US Soccer would need to create a WEB that is connected from the D youth divisions up to preofessional. Fact is there are no scouts and the coaching is done by parents for reacreation and fun no one has to report to US Soccer there is no connection whatsoever .
    This is why a lot of kids get lost our there, only a small number ever get to be noticed. Would it be so hard to send out just a simple card to every soccer community, to its coacing staff to fill in the names of their good players. It would cost almost nothing to do that, US Soccer would gather all this information that could be very valuable down the line.

18. bostonsoccermdl

Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    How though? In theory yes, but as you said, US Soccer doesnt have the resources to even follow up on these "leads."
    There should be more of a concentrated league in the Jr. high levels across the nation. From what I gather, you have so many independent, disjointed, tournaments that it is hard to get everyone playing on the same page..

19. abw

abw Member+

Nov 10, 1999
    Athens, GA
    To play devil's advocate, how is this different from trying to develop any "national" team when you have a heavily-populated, spatially-dispersed country? It would be similar to trying to build a "national" youth pool for Europe as a whole - or all of South America.

20. bostonsoccermdl

Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I see your point, But as far as a National team (I am assuming you mean senior) you have a lot less to chose from, and fewer places to look..

All-Americans in college, and a limited number of players in Europe with EU passports or dual citizenship..

rather than wading through potentially 15-40K rather talented kids who are all physically maturing at different rates, for the most part, the cream has risen to the top at the college ranks and you can start there....

With the MLS however, the process has started even earlier with teh likes of Gaven, Magee, Clark, etc..

21. SJFC4ever

SJFC4ever New Member

May 12, 2000
    Edinburgh
    Another factor in this is that these youth academies at the larger English clubs are industrial in scale. ie they take in hundreds of players, and if but 1% of them make the first team, then they have made it worthwhile.

So they are taking a low-risk, high return punt on this youngster, even if his chance of making it is not as high as youngsters who are more touted within the US youth systems.

22. Attacking Minded

Attacking Minded New Member

Jun 22, 2002
    Take into account all the good players that are kept under the radar, out of ODP and out of the U17 team.

This guy didn't pop out from under a rock. I would bet that he had very good coaching and a bunch of people knew him. He just was never a part of the USSF system.

Go to the college board and find out how many upsets there have been this year. Many good players are not a part of the "in" crowd.

23. ERIMUS

ERIMUS Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Teesside
    Club:
    Middlesbrough FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    We havent signed this player. its just a rumour

24. dcufan1984

dcufan1984 Member

Feb 17, 2002