Middlesbrough signs US Starlet???

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by GCSOCCER19, Oct 19, 2003.

1. GCSOCCER19

GCSOCCER19 New Member

Feb 10, 2003
    North Carolina
    http://skysports.planetfootball.com/article.asp?id=168499

Middlesbrough pounces for 16 yr old US Starlet Peter Gerstenberger???? huh who is this kid, I have never even heard of him through any youth national teams or anything....apparently of German descent and eligibile to play for them and us....any body have anything on this???

2. harttbeat

harttbeat Member

Dec 29, 1998
    New York
    I thought this was about DMB.

3. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    I googled "Peter Gerstenberger" and all I came up with were German web sites.

Sidenote:

what does one have to do to be a "startlet"? Is my neice an American Starlet becuase she is 11?

4. banbaseball

banbaseball Member

Oct 10, 2000
    East of the Bay
    once she signs with a premiership team.

5. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or with Vivid Video ... when she turns 18.

6. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    ewww.

7. Attacking Minded

Attacking Minded New Member

Jun 22, 2002
    I think it's Paul

How about Paul Gerstenberger?

http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=175681

Best line:

PS - Paul Gerstenberger USSF and Paul Gerstenberger ODP don't bring up any meaningful results in Google

8. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. Emre5

Emre5 New Member

Mar 25, 2003
    chelsea,the death of
    haha, great line about throwing his own prom :)
    Good luck to the guy in boro

10. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Poked around the web and another player named Justin Lafaro or Lefaro also seems to be one who may be heading overseas... Just a name to look out for.

11. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This just points out, again, the obvious...the US is loaded with promising kids, but only the lucky few with an EU passport or truly exceptional talent (Bradenton) get the proper training once they hit their mid teens.

It's just amazing how many off-the-radar players with EU passports get signed by big clubs.

12. Dr Jay

Dr Jay BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This kid plays for Albany's (NY) Blackwatch club. He was a U-16 this past season. He was recognized by the Super Y league as he made their regional ODP pool. To my knowledge, he was not on the Region 1 ODP team.

My son has played against his team several times. I do not recall him as standing out, but this may be the case even for a great defender.

13. red&black1

red&black1 New Member

Mar 8, 2003
    Kearny NJ
    I didnt realize the scouting being done by Euro teams over here.... this might be a great soccer nation one day after all.

14. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Superdave, why doesn't the FIFA rule against the international transfer of children apply here? Is it because he is a free agent and therefore it's not a transfer? Or because it is only a youth deal and not a pro deal? Or because he has an EU passport and therefore it's not considered an international transfer? Gotta admit I'm confused.

15. Attacking Minded

Attacking Minded New Member

Jun 22, 2002
    Did he make the Eastern NY YSA ODP team?

16. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This one. The rule acknowledges the unique status of EU nations. That's why Szetela might go soon.

17. owendylan

owendylan Member

May 30, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    I'm not superdave, but in reading his posts on these matters we have the same interpretation of the FIFA statutes so I'll try my hand.

Below is the section from the Regulations that is pertinent. I think that situation B would probably be in effect. Since he's 16 (which I think is the minimum age in England) he meets the minimum working age so as long he gets training and education provided by the club, I don't see the problem.

It will always be a transfer since he is registered with a team that is part of the USSF

"International transfers of players under the age of 18 shall only be permitted under the following conditions:

a. as a general rule, when the family of the player moves to the country in which the new club is located for reasons that are not linked to football

b. within the territory of the EU/EEA and in the case of players between the minimum working age in the new training club's country and the age of 18, suitable arrangements are guaranteed for their sports training and academic education by the new training club. For this purpose a code of conduct will be established and enforced by the football authorities. "

18. GersMan

GersMan Member

May 11, 2000
    Indianapolis
    someone mentioned scouting, and the truth is they really don't scout at all.

Somebody knows somebody. somebody calls someone, someone arranges a visit, usually going that way. Occasionally, as with Danny K, a guy will come over here - but there's really little scouting going on, by actual scouts anyway (and all on condition of the EU passport, at least for English clubs).

When a guy who runs a web site on youth soccer (that would be me) is getting calls from clubs asking a player, or more generically, PLAYERS - you get the idea this is not an NFL-type scouting approach taking place.

19. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm
    I hope this kid rethinks any decision to train in the stench on Smogside.

20. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    This would seem to pretty much make the rule a non-issue for most "major" clubs anyway. They could easily demonstrate the above -- I suppose this is meant to avoid clubs stockpiling players from third-world countries, housing them in dorms, and them cutting them suddenly without much of a safety net. Or am I oversimplifying things?

21. bmurphyfl

bmurphyfl Member

Jun 10, 2000
    VT
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    GersMan - I think you should start a scouting service for European clubs. Charge them a retainer fee plus expenses and promise them that you'll only supply info to three teams per league so they better sign up fast. You could be the next Mel Kipper.

Murf

22. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ??? It just means the EU is treated like one country. The big clubs can't go outside the EU and sign a child. So you're half right. No, it *IS* an issue for them. But you're right, the purpose of the rule (FIFA even says this is the reason) is to end a pretty bad practice, where big clubs would sign up boatloads of poor Africans, then cut them loose, alone, young, and nearly penniless, in Amsterdam or Madrid or whatever.

I have the link to this bookmarked at home, Dave, I'll put it in this thread tonight.

EDIT: OK, I think I see what you're getting at. "Within" the EU just means a child from one EU nation can sign with a club in another EU nation. The "within" doesn't just refer to clubs in the EU.

23. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
  24. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Ah, I see what's going on -- I was just being dense. I didn't catch that the second part was for within the EU/EEA only.

25. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe if he makes $5M, he can buy Vivid Video.