Middle-Earth: Shadow Of Mordor

Discussion in 'Video and Computer Games' started by juventino13, Sep 26, 2014.

1. General Disarray

General Disarray Legendary

Jul 7, 2005
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this game looks really good, let me know what you think of it.

2. juventino13

juventino13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2005
    Caribbean
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    will do, picking it up after work

3. juventino13

juventino13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2005
    Caribbean
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Well i've only hadf time to play for an hour, but what an hour! The combat in this game is great, really fluid and fun. Still haven't even begun to scratch the surface, but so far its looking pretty good

General Disarray repped this.
  4. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Other than the nemesis thing setting it apart, from the gameplay I've watched it just seems like an Assassin's Creed reskin.

5. juventino13

juventino13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2005
    Caribbean
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    the combat is more akin to Batman than Assassin's Creed. The nemesis system as far as i can tell is one awesome feature, but i still haven't exactly seen how it works. It's taken the best of AC and Batman and put them together which is a winning recipe in my book

6. General Disarray

Jul 7, 2005
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what is the setting?

7. juventino13

juventino13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2005
    Caribbean
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    well, it starts off with Talion getting axed and being banished from death. He is sent to Mordor in search of his killer in order to lift the curse set on him. That's as far as i've gotten so i don't know much else. I won't have time to play it until i get back from work later, so i'll let you know with more detail later on

8. General Disarray

Jul 7, 2005
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ok cool, I haven't researched it much, I was just wanting to know where this was in the LOTR timeline.

9. juventino13

juventino13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2005
    Caribbean
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    ohhh ok, i read its set between the hobbit and the original trilogy. I don't know anything about LOTR since i haven't read any of the books or seen the movies, so i'm not sure what that means storywise anyways

10. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, it is set between the Hobbit (trilogy?) and LotR trilogy. And, even though it's been announced/detailed as part of the game, I'll put it in spoiler tags anyway ...

Show Spoiler
    The wraith that the main character is connected to is the elf (?) who actually forged the "ring to rule them all", or something like that.

11. John Ryding

John Ryding New Member

Feb 17, 2014
    Massachusetts
    I was not expecting this game to be great, but after reading the reviews and seeing that the combat is more like the Arkham games than AC, I am sold. I can't wait to pick this up when I get a PS4.

12. General Disarray

Jul 7, 2005
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it open world? or do they have you on a set path?

13. juventino13

juventino13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2005
    Caribbean
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Its open world

14. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Really good so far. The fighting is a complete Batman Arkham rip off...but I guess thats a good thing, because it just works and is very satisfying. I'm only a few hours in, but haven't really seen much of the nemesis system that the reviewers were all raving about...because I haven't actually been killed by anybody yet. I'm just really stealthy (especially around bosses), and managed to run away to safety a few times when I was on the verge of death. I'm almost tempted to get killed on purpose to get myself a nemesis.

15. juventino13

juventino13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2005
    Caribbean
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    to be honest you can't play without dying, you will get killed eventually and if you don't you're missing out (you will though). The nemesis system elevates the game so much more

16. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe Karloski is playing on a PS3 or 360, didn't they have to scrap the nemesis system from those versions of the game?

17. juventino13

juventino13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2005
    Caribbean
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    PS3 and 360 versions of the game were delayed to November so thats not it

NORML repped this.
  18. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm on Xbox one. It's probably because I've only done 2 main missions, as I get caught up trying to do the side missions and extras that appear on the map. I've also only encountered about 7 bosses\captains, and so far I've got intel on all of them and tried to isolate them before taking them on. As soon as I have no choice but to fight a large group of enemies alongside a boss...I'm sure it will be much harder.

Edit: Oh, I did have an early captain I'd previously killed turn back up (with a blade still stuck in his head) saying "you thought ya'd killed me dint ya", with which I kicked his ass again.

juventino13 repped this.
  19. juventino13

juventino13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2005
    Caribbean
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    I love that part of the game as well, if you defeat one of the orcs but he doesn't die, he will come back with the wounds showing. I shot one of them in the eye and he came back with a metal eye patch.

20. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I heard you actually have to decapitate them for them to truly be considered dead.

Some sites are saying this could be a GotY candidate.

21. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well, I got killed. It was a side task where they suddenly surrounded me with archers and asked me to get 10 headshots while I was getting pelted from all angles. Cheating barstards.:D

The Archer got promoted through the ranks, and I randomly bumped into him coming around a corner later on. Unfortunately for him he was on his own, and as an archer had an inability to fight hand to hand (bit of an oversight by the developers maybe)...anyway, I destroyed him, and added a cutting comment with the finishing blow.

juventino13 repped this.
  22. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    This game is soo good. I've still only died the one time (killed about 20 bosses\captains)...but the whole ork hierarchy system is fascinating, and the gathering intel and taking them out is really satisfying. The main story is pretty much secondary to everything that is going on.

General Disarray and juventino13 repped this.
  23. General Disarray

Jul 7, 2005
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    just got into the game over the weekend.... it did take me a bit to get my Rangers feet together, I died several times in the beginning...but I'm loving it...

24. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I never completed It. I got a little obsessed with killing ork captains...neglecting the main story for 20 hours. I went back to the story, was about 4 missions away...but I was a little bored of the fighting, and stopped playing.

I'm now 50 hours into dragon age. The hunt for ever better equipment keeps me going.