Mid-season? / Pre-season? Friendly 2010

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by Jimmydinho, Apr 12, 2010.

1. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    That'd be because you've fallen into that same trap Bonji has of taking the soccer that happens there for granted. How many events are held a year at DSGP that aren't for soccer? More than the 15 regular season games and 1-2 special games held specifically for the Rapids? Should I start to count all of the tournaments held on the outside fields, or that the high school championships will be played on the DSGP field? Do I have to mention that KSE doesn't let something that clearly gains him more money than your average Rapids game (the Mile High Music Festival) anywhere near the actual DSGP field?

Color me shocked. I have no idea how they're making up the necessary financials then.

2. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just to point out that I'm playing devil's advocate here. My actual opinion is somewhere in-between the two of you. While its great that KSE built the stadium, I don't think they did it just because they wanted to get the Rapids into their own venue. I think the venue led to the team, not the other way around. Still they should get credit for getting the Rapids a stadium.

Maybe they aren't, maybe they think that the money lost will be made back with greater ticket sales to league games by people who come out to see Tottenham and goodwill generated with season ticket holders renewing in future years.

3. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would like the satisfaction provided by seeing quality soccer players come to Denver and play the game live and in person. For me it is about the soccer, something that is lacking right now from the Rapids. While their MLS brethren, for the most part, are bringing in big name clubs to delight their fans and give their players quality competition the Rapids are figuring it is cheaper not to do that.

Do the math again on how much KSE has invested in the Rapids. You correctly quoted the cost of the stadium but you made a false assumption that they paid cash. They didn't, they used debt. Also go back and find how much Commerce City fronted for the stadium and surrounding infrastructure. Debt that the facility pays the debt service on. Debt service that means they need to fill the facility with as many events per year as possible to make revenue. Events like the Mile High Music Festival, the Rugby junk, the lingerie football league, the Lacrosse World Championships, etc. The stuff that isn't soccer and that shows KSE like to build and own venues. If you don't see this you're being a homer.

The size of the venue doesn't limit revenue if top quality competition comes to town, the price of the ticket goes up. The cost of the beer goes up. If there is interest they'll recoup their costs and maybe sell some more tickets to Rapids games by showing local soccer fans they know what they're doing, they have a quality product, they have a cool venue, etc.

Right now they're doing nothing to grow their fan base. The Rapids need to market soccer to soccer fans. Those exist here in Denver who think the team is a joke. Staging big soccer events would change that perception. But KSE chooses to focus on concerts, lacrosse, rugby and other things.

4. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am glad the Rapids use the facility for other soccer events like tournaments and high school playoffs. There should be more of that. But those events do not replace the big teams coming to town. A high school championship does not equal Arsenal coming to town. To grow the sport and the fan base the Rapids need to be hosting soccer 100% of the time at DSG park. They're not.

I don't take for granted the soccer going on there, but I want more. I'm a soccer fan, is that so wrong? I want to see DSG Park host 1 national team match a year. I want to see DSG Park host the U-17 team, U-20 team, U-23 team. I want to see the Rapids play in the USOC at DSG Park. I want to see the Rapids play against quality competition from other leagues. I want more. I'm not satisfied with the status-quo.

5. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Portsmouth is coming over to play Edmonton of USSF D-II. Edmonton doesn't join D-II until next year, this is just a team put together to play some friendlies to generate interest int he team. So a non-existent team is playing a relegated team. :D

I'm guessing since its June 22nd and there's been no friendly announcement (Club America was announced on June 22nd last year, for a game on July 15th) that we'll be passing on any friendlies this year.

6. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    If late June isn't too late to announce a mid July friendly maybe Italy or France can come play us. We have great air connections for them and they don't have much else to do? ;>)

7. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just got confirmation from my ticket rep that at this point thee are no plans for the use of our bonus tickets this year. They have their fingers crossed that something might come up though.

8. Jimmydinho

Jimmydinho Member+

Jul 6, 2007
    Denver, CO, USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    UPDATE: The Galaxy announcing Real Madrid at the Rose Bowl for August 7th......the rapids? The rapids announce nothing.

9. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Personally, friendlies don't do much for me during the season. The games obviously don't matter that much and if they take place later in the season there is the question of injuries, fatigue, etc., that comes up for the Rapids and other MLS teams.

During the last half of the season I would rather have the Rapids be focusing on accumulating points in the MLS and getting themselves a spot in the CONCACAF Champions League, etc., for the next season - then we would have some matches against Mexican, Caribbean and Central American teams that would matter. I state this knowing that playing LA Firpo isn't giong to get as much attention as a freindly v Everton, but to me it would have more meaning.

Unfortunately, the time for friendlies would be in March and April when European sides aren't available.

10. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Well, there we have it. Mascot all-star game at halftime of the July 4 game. Rapids mascots win 2-0 on some questionable calls.