Mid-season? / Pre-season? Friendly 2010

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by Jimmydinho, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Jimmydinho

Jimmydinho Member+

Jul 6, 2007
    Denver, CO, USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DC United will play AC Milan, Rangers, El Salvador and Blackburn.

4 quality friendlies.

Rapids - 0. So far.

2. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Superliga dates and locations announced, Denver will not be one of them.

3. meanderingjeeper

May 27, 2003
    At my house
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    while I know that these exhibition games against kwalatee sides are nice, but they are just that, exhibition, and more often than not, a kwalatee side instead of a quality one.

given that we have not done jack freaking squat the last ever, I'd rather they concentrate on the mother loving bloody freaking team for once (I know I dream) instead of some bonus to make people feel like they are getting something more than <insert Iverson rant here> a practice.

4. meanderingjeeper

May 27, 2003
    At my house
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    not saying I wouldn't still go to see a kwalatee side depending on who it was, tho;)

5. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    Bet you'd show up for the Red's C squad ;)

6. meanderingjeeper

May 27, 2003
    At my house
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    but that's probably closer to qualitee than kwalatee. heck I went to Chicago for the B squad, so sure, of course I would!

still couldnt drag anyone new to the game with me tho.

7. deron

deron New Member

Jul 25, 2006
    Centennial, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Personally, I'd like the Rapids form a relationship with one Mexican team and host them each year maybe with an away game there for pre-season.

Seems like, at one point, we had a relationship with Pachuca (IIRC), but other than off-season training it didn't really go anywhere. Seems to me that this could be pursued with the idea of cross promoting. I'd probably enjoy Mexican soccer better if a tie was established to one team.

From a business stand point, I don't think many Euro clubs are a better draw and I'm guessing they want a bigger portion of the purse anyway.

8. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    KC's Gm has tweeted that they'll be playing ManU.

That's 9 of 16 + Montreal at this point.

9. deron

deron New Member

Jul 25, 2006
    Centennial, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At this point, I hope they don't play anybody. Just to see if Maxwell's head will explode.

10. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Considering the Rams, Arsenal, and last night's implosion of the Nuggets, Stanley's pockets may be empty enough by June to grant your wish.

11. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    I don't know, I think he should be about 20M-40M richer by dumping some over priced under achievers

12. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's going to happen when they announce that our friendly will be with our partner club...Real Maryland. :D

13. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    You and me both, but unfortunately, there's no justice like that in the NBA. Player contracts are too big and guaranteed for too long, so I have a feeling it'd take a trade for another overpaid player to get rid of some of our overpaid under-achievers.

As long as we have still Lawson after this offseason, there's hope, I guess.

14. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    Turns out the team with owner who spends more loses to the team with the owner that spends less. :)

15. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    Dave - you're not so right here ... here are the top 4 NBA playoff teams in each conf, their ranking in salaries and how they did in the first round of the playoffs in respect to the ranking of the team they're playing in terms of salary.

Cleveland #4 Win over #14
    Orlando #6 Win over #20
    Atlanta #29 Tied 3-3 with #15
    Boston #3 Win over #11

Lakers #1 Win over #27
    Dallas #8 Win over #5
    Phoenix #17 Win over #24
    Denver #13 Loss to #2

In the Nuggs case - they lost to the team that spent more money.

The big losers in spending to success are
    #7 Washington
    #9 Houston
    #10 New Orleans

So it doesn't always translate ... but the more you spend in the NBA - they more success you find generally.

16. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    Don't blame me, blame Google :)

This site has Denver at $74,992,698 while the Jazz are $74,860,447.

This site had Denver at $74,595,729 and the Jazz at $72,131,660

Now, the differences are not great and I understand there are salary "caps" which I believe can be worked around, I do plead ignorance of the finer details.

17. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    72 froking million!! I knew it was a lot but damn! I had no idea. no wonder the Rapids are just a blip. jeez. That roster could build a BMO every season.

18. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
  19. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    That was good. The Sounders are already too good for not just the MLS, but the SPL, too.

20. deron

deron New Member

Jul 25, 2006
    Centennial, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's two bits of soccer that I find absolutely shaming. 1st, faking an injury. 2nd, that soccer fans take whining to a whole new level.

That post is hilarious, but in the same way that seeing, yet another, America's Funniest Home Video where someone gets hit in the nuts.

21. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And Sounders fans wonder why we hate them...

22. Jimmydinho

Jimmydinho Member+

Jul 6, 2007
    Denver, CO, USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Manchester United confirmed today for Toronto, Kansas City, Philly and Houston.

Hot shit goddam! KC gets man u! Biggest world wide team of at least the last decade, in their little league ball park, what a coup!

What have the Rapids announced, lets see.....

Rapids = chirrping cricket sounds.

23. f_chelsea

f_chelsea Member

Jan 16, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Small point of correction. Celtic will play Man U (not Man U v. TFC) in Toronto and Man U will play KC at the new Arrowhead, but that's really besides the point.

What is the point of initially including international game tickets with the ST packages if there isn't going to be a game?

24. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    The game will be at Arrowhead.

25. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    I posted the question about this on the Rapids facebook wall a week or so back. Those on facebook may also want to post questions if the Rapids are going to have any games.

There aren't many public forums where they interact directly with fans, maybe they'll get the hint and respond.